Nuva ring/ weight gain?

Options
So I have already lost 41 pounds and just started using the nuva ring today. I am very worried about weight gain with it. I would like to hear your experience with it. Thank you!

Replies

• tweezer17
    tweezer17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm on it with no weight gain.
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i'm thinking of switching to it and was wondering the same thing!
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Birth control only makes you feel hungry, doesnt make you actually gain weight. I was on nuva ring and didnt gain any weight but didnt really like it and went back on the pill.
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    LOVE IT and didn't gain any weight. it's so EASY!
  • riacurtis
    riacurtis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was on it a few months ago. No weight gain. BUT.... I made me a very moody and depressed.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Ive been on it for months and NO weight gain here. There are also months where right before my period, i actually drop weight. No clue why, but i do. But it comes back...odd i know. But no weight gain from the ring its self. One of the only BC's that i haven'd gained on.
  • Sallybeee_fit
    Sallybeee_fit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did not have a weight gain while on it but I lost all sex drive. After some online research found that was a common side effect.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm on it. No weight gain unless I've had a high sodium day, then I go back to normal.
  • mrsdaytons
    mrsdaytons Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm on it and it is the best thing ever. No weight gain from it at all.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I only got moody and depressed when coming down off it once. My hormones were way freaking out!!! I love the nuva ring, and am about to re-start it so I will return with news :D
  • brit7880
    brit7880 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I did not have a weight gain while on it but I lost all sex drive. After some online research found that was a common side effect.

I am worried about that also! I was on the pill for 2 years and it decreased my sex drive. Stopped taking it for 5 months and things were great! I just don't want to worry about getting pregannt!
  • Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options
    No weight gain! I was on it for months!
  • freckly_vermonter_girl
    Options
    I have been using it for a year, and I haven't noticed any weight gain. In fact, when I first started using it, I lost a few pounds (though I've gained them back due to sitting all day at work and munching). It is really easy to use and I've had no really weird side effects.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I was on it for two years, I just recently had to stop using it due to my body rejecting it. Now I'm on the pill and I've not had any weight gain. Starting/Stopping the ring and starting the Pill, I keep going down :)
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    its the same as the pill, so don't worry, just keep eating healthy
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I was able to lose weight without problems on NuvaRing (and other forms of hormonal birth control) and I didn't notice increased weight gain. I used about 3 different types of hormonal birth control over a 10 year period and never had negative symptoms with any (just lucky in that way I guess since I know of many who react terribly to most of them). But most people say that they experience fewer negative symptoms with NuvaRing because the way it is administered allows for a steady, low dose.

All that said, when I did go off birth control about 16 months ago, it took medical intervention for my periods to start again and they have been wonky ever since, so that wasn't cool. Maybe my cycles have always been wonky and I just never knew because of the pill.
  • _Chantel_
    _Chantel_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you google it, you'll see quite a bit. Here are a few links that I found immediately that do say there is weight gain:
    http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic120634.html#b
    http://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/aboutNuvaRing/possibleSideEffects/index.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NuvaRing
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I was on it a few months ago. No weight gain. BUT.... I made me a very moody and depressed.

Physically I was bloated but it was ok. What was not ok is the fact that it made me really moody, sad and emotionally drained. I lasted 2 months
  • Iwillshyne
    Options

Ditto! I was veryyyyy depressed/moody on it, and very hungry all the time!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I was able to lose weight without problems on NuvaRing (and other forms of hormonal birth control) and I didn't notice increased weight gain. I used about 3 different types of hormonal birth control over a 10 year period and never had negative symptoms with any (just lucky in that way I guess since I know of many who react terribly to most of them). But most people say that they experience fewer negative symptoms with NuvaRing because the way it is administered allows for a steady, low dose.

All that said, when I did go off birth control about 16 months ago, it took medical intervention for my periods to start again and they have been wonky ever since, so that wasn't cool. Maybe my cycles have always been wonky and I just never knew because of the pill.

My periods are scary now. Lots of visits to my doctor to figure things out :s Its only been 3 months off it but still no definite answers, except my body "began to reject the foreign object and It will take a while to work out". Uncool. It was so easy to use!