Going to Chicago in the Morning

Options
ILiftHeavyAcrylics
ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
Help? lol Seriously I've never driven alone in a big big city like that, I've always had a navigator. I do have GPS on my phone but I can't look while I'm driving. I'm armed with lots of maps and toll money but I was wondering if anyone who has been to Chicago has any tips for a first time visitor.

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    What are you going for? The best advice I can give you is park your car and walk!! .. or if your near a train station take the train in.. Traffic is CRAZY!! also talking on your cell or using your cell well driving is illegal in Chicago now..
  • nvkatie78
    Options
    im from chicago and let me tell ya its gotta be one of the best cities around-- not to mention the weather is going to be absolutely gorgeous tomorrow, like 77. enjoy it-- so much to see-- millenium park, navy pier, magnificent mile, sears tower, great food, great shopping and so many different people. however, everyone drives like a maniac especially the cabbies so don't be alarmed if you get honked at a lot lol!
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    No advice other than try to take CTA bus or train if you can... I sold my car when I moved up here, just because I didn't want to drive. Can you avoid rush hours (7-9a & 4-6p)??

And please don't run me over I will be pedaling my bike (slowly) downtown.

Enjoy & Good Luck!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Thanks! Good to know about the phone-- I always pull over anyway but still, good to know. My husband is graduating from the Naval Base. I'll only be there two days, one for his graduation and one to see Shedd Aquarium. I can't really walk much, my joint pain is pretty terrible, but it might be worth the pain to keep from driving!
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    I agree with the above, park it and walk. They have trains and buses gallore and they are the easiest. And if all else fails, park it and use a taxi (just make sure you have a barf-bag with you, they're nuts).
    Google maps has it so you can put in the address and it'll tell you how to get there from walking or public trans.

I've lived near Chicago almost my whole life, and we're all CRAZY! I take the train or make my husband drive. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I hope your trip is good. Chicago is a great town. We just can't drive. :-D
  • wendybrian
    Options
    Can you go by train? If you are going strictly down town, I can imagine it is pretty intense. A lot of horns honking, ect. The train is an excellent way, I take the South Shore, catch a cab on Randolph. The weather is to be awesome tomorrow, today was a great day also. If you are still driving, good luck. If you and find a way to pull over and check yourself go for it. Have fun and drive safe. Let us know how you did. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    You guys aren't making me feel any better! lol
  • doriefish1
    doriefish1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drive, but don't expect too much from the public transit system. It is the worst I've ever dealt with. The bus drivers don't give out change and if you ask for directions, you get a different answer from everybody you ask. I would take a cab if I were you, or use you cell phone GPS on speaker. That is not illegal. Chicago is a good city to visit, but it is seriously lacking in good ways to get around the city.
  • slimndownat48
    slimndownat48 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Awh lucky you!! I have been to Chicago 2x now...and just LOVE it. Would go back in a heart beat.
    Park and walk!! It is such an amazing city!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Maybe I should just splurge on cab fare. . . ugh, so worried. I drove through Detroit and Toronto and New Orleans, but for some reason Chicago makes me MUCH more nervous.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    New Question-- How much is average cab fare?
  • wendybrian
    Options
    Hold on! He's graduating from Great Lakes Navel? That is way north of the city, by Gurnee!!!! You will probably be driving the Dan Ryan. That should be okay!! Signs are around, just start heading toward 6 Flags. You should do just fine!!! Give yourself penty of drive time. Congrats to your hubby!!! My nephew is stationed in Hawaii, he loves it so much he hasn't been home in 4 years. lol His mom and dad have to visit him. (Yeah, like they mind). He loves it!!!! he is a lifer!! :) You will be just fine!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Ok Thanks Wendy! Seriously I was reconsidering my whole plan. Maybe I will take a cab to the aquarium though.
  • wendybrian
    Options
    From the Dan Ryan watch for signs to the Museum of Science and Industry. That will get you to Lake Shore Drive. On lake Shore Drive you will find Soldier Field (home of the Chicago Bears) and the Shedd is near there. The price tag into the Shedd is shocking but your hubby should be half price if not free. Have a wonderful time!!!! The Museum of Natural History is across the street, I know they are all jamed up around there
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    We've been there a few times. The first time our hotel was right downtown. I remember it was high to park your car. (including the hotel discount) The last time we were there we chose a hotel that was by the airport. (We didn't fly there.) Left our car at the hotel, took the free hotel shuttle to the airport, hopped on the L train (underground) to where you would like to go. Each stop is a different color. Once you get to around your destination, you can then go to a bus stop if you need further assistance for gettting there. The L train is really reasonable and I believe you can get an all day pass. It was so much better than driving in the city. Will you be traveling with someone else or by yourself? Congratuations to you husband! :)
  • mrs_madame
    mrs_madame Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm from Chicago! I moved to Ann Arbor 3 years ago, but I still have some tips :)

1) If you're not familiar at least a little with driving in a city like Chicago (NY, SF, etc), I would suggest taking a cab. Even after doing drivers ed, getting my license, and driving there for years it was always intimidating. If you do drive, and I know this sounds opposite, don't be timid or passive, because other people wont be! The El train system is awesome too, and it can get you to most of the city if you're not afraid of trains. It might seem kind of shady but it's actually really safe!

2) The price may seem expensive to get in to the Shedd, but it is so worth it! There are some great places downtown to get dinner, just make sure it's something authentic to Chicago! And the Victoria's Secret store is one of the most amazing ones I have ever seen (trust me, I work for them). So if you have the time, it's well worth a visit!

3) Eat at Ricobene's for me! I wont be going back until Thanksgiving and that is toooo far away! Have fun and enjoy the beautiful nighttime skyline :)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Great Lakes Navel is pretty far from the Shedd Aquarium downtown. If you are staying in the city, then drive there and if it's near grant park then you can take a cab or the bus. The Shedd is on the south end of grant park and is quite a very long, but wonderful walk from downtown. If you have trouble walking it might not be a good idea. There is parking around the Shedd.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Great Lakes Navel is pretty far from the Shedd Aquarium downtown. If you are staying in the city, then drive there and if it's near grant park then you can take a cab or the bus. The Shedd is on the south end of grant park and is quite a very long, but wonderful walk from downtown. If you have trouble walking it might not be a good idea. There is parking around the Shedd.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Metra is the best travel plan if you are traveling from the Great Lakes area. The traffic in the Chicago area is congested. The city has free trolley buses from the trains to the Musuem campus, which is where the Shedd is located. The train and a free trolley is far less than gas, parking and the driving headache.

You did not ask for eating places so I will restrain from suggesting some good, but caloric, eats. I grew up in Chicago and I agree with one of the above posters, Chicago is a great city. Right now we are having some excellent whether.

Have fun.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Sunday is the Chicago Marathon traffic will be a mess with lots of streets closed.