Anyone run/jog in place?

Options
I love running or jogging but I don't have a great neighborhood and no machines at home,no money for the gym and was wondering if I can still run in place, i've read it's the same and was wondering if anyone here does it, also should I alternate with wieghts? And how many times a week lol any advise is welcome.

Replies

• SaundraU
    Options
    What about working out (walk/jog) near your work?
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Is there a park or even a school with a track nearby? Jogging in place is better than nothing, but I think you would be able to gauge your fitness (and progress) better by knowing how much actual distance you cover.
  • moomoo84
    Options
    I do at the moment as with a newborn, a toddler, and a preschooler getting out to have a good jog is actually a mission. I put on some funky music and jog it up in my living room.
  • jfhaskell
    Options
    Sometimes if I have a bad weather day or just don't feel like going to the gym and doing the treadmill, I use a jump rope. It is very good at mimicking jogging and it is less boring than just running in place. Plus it gives your arms and sholders a bit of a workout also. If your not using resistance training also you definitely should. Some people do alternate days, I usually just space out my cardio and resistance training on the same day with several hours of recovery between them. If you don't have time to do that then alternating days might be your best bet.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I seem to... 30 minutes 60 minutes on a treadmill and the scenery never changes ;)

Nothing wrong with body-weight exercises so running in place should work better than sitting on your duff.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think I would rather find a good cardio video like plyometrics or kempo/kickboxing. Of course, there's nothing wrong with running in place if that's what you prefer. :o)
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100 lb. and I started this a year ago running in my living room. Now I run outside when the weather and my 4 year old permit it. I am here to say as long as you move, it works :) Good luck.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I love running or jogging but I don't have a great neighborhood and no machines at home,no money for the gym and was wondering if I can still run in place, i've read it's the same and was wondering if anyone here does it, also should I alternate with wieghts? And how many times a week lol any advise is welcome.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/329227-leslie-sansone-walking-at-home-september-challenge Here's a group you might be interested in.. you can use her DVD's, or simply walk or run in your home and keep track. It's always fun to join up with others doing the same thing with the same goals!:flowerforyou:

ETA: marywilsoncline what a fantastic job you've done gaining your health back, you're looking terrific, just peeked in your profile photos for b/a's. A job done well...you're a great example of what hard work can do!
  • Zeal8
    Zeal8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You may find it hard to run in place and keep track of intensity or "distance." Stairs are a great substitute. You can even do stairs in sets and reps.

A good alternative is trying to find a cheap kettlebell, maybe about 20lbs or so, and then youtube the countless cardio exercises you can perform alongside calisthenics.
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Ideas and thoughts! Your rite it's better than nothing but hard to keep track. I might just stick with my biggest looser walking video till I can get a machine or something :smile:
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @:HEARTS DESIRE... Thank You :happy:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    you can also alternate with jumping jacks. When I wanna have a quick workout at home I alternate jumping jacks, knee ups, jumping rope, sit ups, squats, lunges, pushups and some hand weight work. You just need some good music :)
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Is jogging in place worth it? I'm in a similar situation (can't jog outside, no treadmill or gym, and not quite enough room for a jump rope), but I do have enough room to do workout videos. Would jogging in place be a good cardio workout (I'm thinking of trying C25K when the weather improves) or would my time be better spent doing videos for cardio? I'm not trying to really lose weight, just maintain and maybe slim a bit.