U! yes U! i need your opinion

Options
according to MFP i need 1,740 calories before exericise. well i bought a bodybugg and i have worn it everyday for 26 days. i took my calories burned for this 26day period and averaged them out. on average i burn 2,700 calories a day. thats average. somedays i burn more and somedays i burn less. the least i have burnt is 1,743 and the most is 3,144. now i am set to lose 1/2lb a week so i subtracted 250 calories from 2,700 to get 2,450. should i manually set my calories to this and aim to eat this each day and not log exercise? should i leave it set to what MFP says? i dont know how many calories i have burned exactly until the end of the night when i plug my bodybugg in and I always end up being 200-800 calories under. so i am wondering if setting it at an average and not adding in exercise calories would be the best option? ideas or comments PLEASE

Replies

• shesblossoming
    Options
    One of my friends on here has a bodybugg, and she leaves her calories set as they are. She then adds the extra calories burned at the end of the day as if they're exercise. She's lost well over 100 pounds so far, so it's really works for her.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    im no expert but why not up your cals by 100 cals a week until you get to what the bodybug says... but do each of them for a whole week.. if you start consistently gaining.. then you know to stop.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    One of my friends on here has a bodybugg, and she leaves her calories set as they are. She then adds the extra calories burned at the end of the day as if they're exercise. She's lost well over 100 pounds so far, so it's really works for her.

this would work if i knew how much i was going to burn. i do not plug my bodybugg in until the end of the night to see what i have burned for the whole day. then it is bed time and i am left with a bunch of extra calories.
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What are your height and weight, and average daily activity? I'm not an expert and I don't know much about BodyBuggs, but 2700 calories a day sounds like a lot. I've been closely tracking my exercise/food/net calories for 6 months, using MFP's estimate for my normal daily burn rate, and it's been very accurate in predicting weight loss. For my current activity level (lightly active), 1800 per day seems right.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    i am 5'7 and weigh 130lbs. i workout everyday for at least an hour. i have a 5yr old and a 4yr old. i work 5days a week as a bartender/waitress. i cook dinner almost every night for my kids as well as baking, running errands, getting kids ready and off to school, and getting myself ready and cleaning the house.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

this would work if i knew how much i was going to burn. i do not plug my bodybugg in until the end of the night to see what i have burned for the whole day. then it is bed time and i am left with a bunch of extra calories.

Add the calories to the following day.
  • _Chantel_
    _Chantel_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had to Google the Body Bugg to see what it is. So, here is my [limited] opinion. Since you are plugging it in at the end of the day, why not just carry the +/- over to the next day? It would all even out in the long run wouldn't it? Seems to me that you could just add or subtract the following morning and work from that number. Am I off base?
  • _Chantel_
    _Chantel_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had to Google the Body Bugg to see what it is. So, here is my [limited] opinion. Since you are plugging it in at the end of the day, why not just carry the +/- over to the next day? It would all even out in the long run wouldn't it? Seems to me that you could just add or subtract the following morning and work from that number. Am I off base?
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    does adding the extra calories to the next day work? had anyone else tried this and had success?
  • AdrienneinTO
    Options
    i am 5'7 and weigh 130lbs. i workout everyday for at least an hour. i have a 5yr old and a 4yr old. i work 5days a week as a bartender/waitress. i cook dinner almost every night for my kids as well as baking, running errands, getting kids ready and off to school, and getting myself ready and cleaning the house.

Hmmmm. Sounds pretty active. Maybe the BodyBugg isn't that far off? Hopefully someone on MFP who uses those things will post a comment?

For your height, your BMI healthy range is about 118-160 lbs. You are well within that, and probably don't need to actually lose weight. If you don't feel in shape, you might want to focus on toning exercises, and cut back on cardio. Only half an hour a day, with something like 30-Day Shred, could really get you into shape.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    bump
  • AdrienneinTO
    Options
    does adding the extra calories to the next day work? had anyone else tried this and had success?

I think that's a great suggestion. Your body doesn't really know if it's a Tuesday or a Wednesday. You can adjust that way, I'm sure of it.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options

Hmmmm. Sounds pretty active. Maybe the BodyBugg isn't that far off? Hopefully someone on MFP who uses those things will post a comment?

For your height, your BMI healthy range is about 118-160 lbs. You are well within that, and probably don't need to actually lose weight. If you don't feel in shape, you might want to focus on toning exercises, and cut back on cardio. Only half an hour a day, with something like 30-Day Shred, could really get you into shape.
    i am worried that if i cut back on my cardio i will gain weight since cardio is more of a calorie burning workout
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

when i use my BodyMedia, i plug it in first thing in the morning... that way i start off with just the calories i burnt during the night (starting after 10:30 pm) and i can see how much i slept (or not!). just an idea. might be easier to gauge if you switched.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    according to MFP i need 1,740 calories before exericise. well i bought a bodybugg and i have worn it everyday for 26 days. i took my calories burned for this 26day period and averaged them out. on average i burn 2,700 calories a day. thats average. somedays i burn more and somedays i burn less. the least i have burnt is 1,743 and the most is 3,144. now i am set to lose 1/2lb a week so i subtracted 250 calories from 2,700 to get 2,450. should i manually set my calories to this and aim to eat this each day and not log exercise? should i leave it set to what MFP says? i dont know how many calories i have burned exactly until the end of the night when i plug my bodybugg in and I always end up being 200-800 calories under. so i am wondering if setting it at an average and not adding in exercise calories would be the best option? ideas or comments PLEASE

just so you know... i too have a similar quandary. i burn, on average, about 2800/2900 a day....and i am 41 and have 4 kids. i eat nowhere near that amount to 'maintain', yet i AM maintaining.... in fact, i am maintaining so great that i care hardly lose weight. i do find that days where i tend to eat MORE, i start to lose...but very slowly. i know how you feel regarding feeling a little scared (?) to eat 2400+/- cals a day. the idea of upping slowly is a great one. if i were you, i'd manually set MFP to at least 1800 or 1900... then you have room to add your daily workout cals in... and the combination of both should equal close to what you 'should' be eating to lose 1/2 lb. a week.

...now i just need to do the same! :-)
  • AdrienneinTO
    Options

i am worried that if i cut back on my cardio i will gain weight since cardio is more of a calorie burning workout

Obviously this is my personal opinion, but it doesn't sound like you need to be too worried about gaining weight. If you want to make sure you get/stay in shape, try changing your exercise routine to half toning, half cardio. I've done some 30-Day Shred, and notice big improvements in tone and shape, but there are other DVDs out there. Try the new routine for a couple of weeks, and see what happens. If you remain active for 2 weeks by doing this, it's really unlikely that you will gain more than 1-2 lbs, probably not at all. You are so far away from the over-weight range, that I think you'd benefit more from focusing on your shape and muscle, less on the scale.
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have a body media fit. To get up to my burn numbers I've slowly upped my calories. I was eating 1700 and I'm up to 2200 and am losing( I was maintaining at 1700). I'm going to stick with that for a while. I figure if my burn is 2800 and there is a 10% error I'm still running around a 300 calorie deficit. I have the bluetooth version so I can see my burn at anytime....but If I didn't I would eat what my BMF had as my burn around 8-8:30 in the evening. My burn from 830 till midnight is 300-350 calories.

I also think the numbers are very accurate. I'm 5'5 and weigh 132lbs. I am a SAHM to 3 active boys. I workout 5 days a week 3 free weights and 2 cardio only. We have kids sports on the weekends. I wouldn't worry too much about cutting down on the cardio my burns from lifting days aren't much lower than the cardio days. It's also helped me to stay far away from the scale and go by the mirror and my clothes.

:) HTH
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I also think eating them the next day would work. It's not like your body turns off, and restarts every night at midnight.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    thank you all for the great advice. i will consider it all when making my decision! :happy: