hair falling out...

Options
so, i am maintaining. i am not 'undereating' as you people would see it. but i am losing heaps of hair. its been happenning ages (while i nwas pregnant too) now and ive kind of just ignored it but it has gotten worse recently. im eatin around 1850-1900 cals a day and i exercise 5-6 days a week. treadmill(tells me i burn about 300 a session) strength training, other workouts, i walk almost everywhere. what do you think is causing this? i know i should probably be eating more but i dont think i am undereating THAT much to cause this. ive also had bruises on my legs without causes that get really itchy..

edit: i will go see a doctor when i have time but i would still like advice thanks :) i also take iron tablets.

Replies

• cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    Normally hair loss is associated with a lack of protein, as per my weight loss doctor and nutritionist. You should be taking in 80-100 grams per day.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    those bruises sound like eczema(what I have) yeah see a dermatologist but I think people have switched to gluten free diets to help this(I haven't) I've always had this condition.
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    i had severe hair loss and when they ran blood tests to figure out what was wrong i ended upnhaving
    pcod....
  • adventuring
    Options
    Does your hair actually LOOK thinner? I said on a thread earlier, there are times of the year when a person sheds more hair than other times. Autumn is quite frequently that time, for myself, my mother, and apparently a lot of people around MFP. I lose so much hair in the fall it's a wonder I have any left, but I do and I've never noticed a difference in thickness.

If your hair is thinning noticeably, you'll probably want to see a doctor. If you're just losing a lot, don't worry about it. Make sure you're eating enough good fats and take a multivitamin, and that should be all your hair needs.

Those bruises sound bad, though. I'd definitely see a doctor about that ASAP.
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do you currently take any medications? Is your BMI in a healthy range? Do you still get a menstrual cycle? What were your moods like three months ago? You hair sheds and regrows in three month cycles. For instance when I was very depressed a while back, three months after that I lost loads of hair, which continued because I was anorexic. Just some thoughts..
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    HI! I would definitely suggest you to see your doctor soon. It could be thyroid related so you should have your levels checked. I would add B12 vitamins in the meantime.

Good luck to you!
  • CuteEllais
    CuteEllais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not a doc, but if I'm bruising with color, (doesn't happen often, usually just sore) then I need to up my protein or eat some red meat/cereal. (Much cereal is iron fortified.)

Also a fried of mine experienced hair loss with a thyroid problem.
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It could be something health related... or it could be something as simple as wearing your hair up in a pony tail a lot.. I wear my hear up just about every day and it falls out something fierce as soon as I take it down (especially in the shower!!).
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Thyroid problems can cause hair loss. Taking too many aspirin or daily aspirin can cause bruises. Glad you are going to see a doctor as I doubt your diet has anything to do with it.
  • cgeiser1
    cgeiser1 Posts: 145
    Options
    My hair falls out like crazy, It never worried me though. Sometimes it's worse than others. I often wonder how I still have so much hair. lol

I also get the brusies that I can't really explain, although they don't itch. So I'm curious to see the responses.

I definitely don't undereat so that's not my problem. I also eat lots of protein and am almost always over my protein goal.
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My hair fell out at a greater rate than normal when I was suffering from a vitamin D deficiency.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Normally hair loss is associated with a lack of protein, as per my weight loss doctor and nutritionist. You should be taking in 80-100 grams per day.

yeah i make that most days :)
  • adventuring
    Options
    It could be something health related... or it could be something as simple as wearing your hair up in a pony tail a lot.. I wear my hear up just about every day and it falls out something fierce as soon as I take it down (especially in the shower!!).

This is another really good point. If you're wearing your hair up, it can't shed like it does when it's down, so you'll see more of a loss when you take it out and comb it.
  • ChristiRainwater
    ChristiRainwater Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might need to get your Thyroid checked
  • babyblake11
    Options
    those bruises sound like eczema(what I have) yeah see a dermatologist but I think people have switched to gluten free diets to help this(I haven't) I've always had this condition.

yeah that could be it my daughter has it so contact could have made it flare. but stuff gluten free diet!!!!
  • babyblake11
    Options
    i had severe hair loss and when they ran blood tests to figure out what was wrong i ended upnhaving
    pcod....

whats that?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert., but you should consult your doctor about the iron tablets if you aren't already. I was low on iron once to give blood, so I goggled it and pretty much found that iron can be hard to regulate on your own and you really shouldn't take a supplement for it unless directed by a doctor. I have no idea if that is related to your hair loss, but I thought I'd mention it.

For the hair loss, do you have thyroid issues? If so, get it checked....if you don't know, get it checked. If you are on meds for it, particularly if you recently switched meds in the last year, look into that. I was taking one kind of thyroid med but mentioned to my doctor that I had a hard time remembering to take it because I felt no different whether I took it or not, so she switched my meds. Within a month or two my hair stated coming out in clumps in the shower, my brush was full of it, the back of my shirts were full of hair and my stylists mentioned it as well. Despite going on for months, I never noticed any thinning spots or thinner hair all around (which is remarkable since I have fine hair to begin with). The clumps in the shower freaked me out the most, you really shouldn't get more than a few strands when washing your hair.

I finally decided to switch back to my old meds and within a few months the problem completely reversed, my stylists even mentions now how much thicker my hair feels and how little comes out when she's styling it. I also take Biotin, it's a hair, skin and nails supplement, you can get it really cheap OTC at Target and Wal-Mart. It won't keep the hair from falling out if the original problem isn't fixed, but it can help thicken it which will help overall. Good luck!
  • Tantrisis
    Options
    I lost alot of hair because after pregnancy my thyroid glad was in hyper mode have your TSH levels checked.
  • babyblake11
    Options
    Do you currently take any medications? Is your BMI in a healthy range? Do you still get a menstrual cycle? What were your moods like three months ago? You hair sheds and regrows in three month cycles. For instance when I was very depressed a while back, three months after that I lost loads of hair, which continued because I was anorexic. Just some thoughts..

no medication. im in the healthy range. i havnt had my period since before pregnancy (not including post pregnancy bleeding) i was breastfeeding for 3 months.