Lunches on the go for college students

Options
Hi everyone,

I know similar topics have been posted but i am wondering if there are any lunches on the go for college students since i am running around campus all the time. I do grab the usual protein shakes, nutritional bars and if i have time i do sit down and eat a proper breakfast (oatmeal) but most of the time its on the go ( i work for a production company and we are always travelling) and so i find it hard to eat up the 1200cals.

Plus i am vegetarian so lean meats are out. I try and load up on tofu whenever i can but those are hard on the go. I also dont have an access to microwave when i am working except for a mini bar fridge and that is if i am at the office. Anybody have any suggestions? Much appreciated. :)

Replies

• lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    roasted edamame :) love them ...about 130 a 1/4 cup and good source of protein...and it mixes is up from having regular steamed kind...this one is more like peanuts....
  • DefiningRaquel
    Options
    Thanks those do sound yummy :D
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I found a lunch box that has the gel packs built into the bottom top and sides and zipps closed. It was only about 8 dollars, you can find it in most stores. I stick it in the freezer every night and it is ready in the morning and works all day. That might open up some options for you on keeping things cold while on the go. I made a sandwich with sliced tomato, baby spinach, peeled cucumber, hummus and avocado that was the bomb. I just packed up all the stuff seperately the night before and put in my bag in the morning and assembled it when I was ready to eat so nothing was soggy. Also i carry almonds on me at ALL times and fruit like banana etc what ever you like. With a refrigerated lunch box you can pretty much take anything you like.
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time uni student, and wraps are definitely my friend. I was vegetarian for a year (am no longer), and there are so many varieties of wraps you can make. It's easy to do the night before then just grab out of the fridge and bring with you!
  • g_warne
    g_warne Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm not strictly vegetarian but don't eat meat often so have alternatives mostly. I'm a very busy college students and this is what I've found easiest to pack and take on the run/in the car. They can all be tailored to personal taste.

Peanut butter (or other nut butter) with jam or honey on a good quality bread with plenty of whole grains.

Sushi bowl (can prep night before excepting sauce in a container): brown rice, mixed chopped veggies of personal choice, broken up sheet of nori (seaweed) and usually protein such as tofu or beans. Then top with your choice and ratio of soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi. Healthy and nutritious.

Salad using a a coleslaw mix without the dressing and toss with lemon juice/balsamic vinegar and a bit of extra virgin olive oil, seeds such as pumpkin or sesame, and any other add ins. Stays crunchy compared to a wilting lettuce salad.

A low sugar muesli mixed with some yogurt (can be dairy or soy). I like to use a plain greek yogurt or similar.

Or if I'm in a rush and can't even prepare the night before I just grab a snack pack of rice crackers, a couple pieces of fruit and maybe some nuts.

Just be creative :)
  • DefiningRaquel
    Options
    I found a lunch box that has the gel packs built into the bottom top and sides and zipps closed. It was only about 8 dollars, you can find it in most stores. I stick it in the freezer every night and it is ready in the morning and works all day. That might open up some options for you on keeping things cold while on the go. I made a sandwich with sliced tomato, baby spinach, peeled cucumber, hummus and avocado that was the bomb. I just packed up all the stuff seperately the night before and put in my bag in the morning and assembled it when I was ready to eat so nothing was soggy. Also i carry almonds on me at ALL times and fruit like banana etc what ever you like. With a refrigerated lunch box you can pretty much take anything you like.

Thanks for this. I think this would help me out alot since i travel so much. :)