Net Carbs or Total Carbs

Options
I've ready many posts on this topic in the forums and kinda get lost in all the bickering and *****iness that tends to ensue, so I'll get this bit out of the way first:

Yes I am doing a low carb diet as recommended by my doctor, but not the Atkins diet as I am also trying to keep it low fat too & a daily calorie intake of around 1500. Please note I said LOW carb not carb free, I do a modicum amount of exercise, thus I am not a fitness fanatic or a body builder. I have no real interest in any personal or professional opinions as to whether low carb diets are good, bad or otherwise, it is a simple question, which I'm hoping has a simple and concise answer, which is:

When counting carbs, do I count total carbs or net carbs (total carbs - fibre)?

Replies

• Charrah
    Charrah Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi

I am a low fat and carber too! It's more Dukan than Atkins so sounds familiar to you. I aim to eat under 25gms carbs before I take fibre into account.
  • filmers
    Options
    Hi,

I must admit I wasn't even aware of the total and net carb quandary until I started reading a recipe book. I had been keeping to 20g and under and not even subtracting the fibre.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Fiber counts. When you are looking at total calories, it doesn't matter what kind of calories they are, because they all still count. So if you have 6 g of sugar and 2 g of fiber, that is going to be 8 carbs which is 24 calories. Keep them together.

The debate on taking them out goes into bro science about negative calories since fiber takes sooo much to digest, blah. blah...but they are still calories that all still count.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If your doctor has given you eating guidelines, then ask which he/she thinks is best.
    No one here will know your specific eating plan.