eating before the gym??

Options
Okay so my nights have started getting busier so am going to the gym at 6am...
the only problem with this is that I feel sick if I eat too soon before exercising, but weak and dizzy if I do not eat at least couple hours before a workout.

Anything I could do other than wake up at 4.30am to eat?
(Also I live in australia so please do not suggest bananas before workouts, I used to... but I just cannot afford them at $10.99pkg)

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Keep a box of hearty multigrain crackers at your bedside.. nosh on a serving of them around that time. It'll be easy to eat without getting up, it'll be slow to digest and keep your bloodsugar from spiking.
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I can't eat a banana before my evening workouts, I'll eat an orange or two instead. It takes me 30 mins to get to the gym, so by then, I'm ready to workout without feeling sick.
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise on a full stomach, but also not on an empty one! So when exercising in the morning I will have some water and an Oat based cereal bar! It gets rid of any hunger pangs but isn't too heavy!
  • stephanieGmo
    Options
    I like to eat an apple before the gym. It has enough carbs to keep your energy level up through the workout. Then, a protein bar for the way home!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    what i do is i wake up at 4:30, go to the bathroom, drink a little water, and have a granola bar, or an apple. something small to munch on that won't be too over whelming. then go back to sleep for another hour, get up and get going. its the only thing that helps me get through a morning workout.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Normally I eat before and after my workout...even if it's something small, like a banana!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Eat something small like a handful of nuts or a piece of low fat string cheese when you wake up.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    :( did you really just say bananas are 11bucks? WAHHH? anyway, I eat cliff protein bars. eat half of that and drink some water. i like the white nut one
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Try nibbling on 1/2 bagel, plain no butter or cream cheese...or the gel or sports beans that runners use...or small bowl of oatmeal...or a granola bar...
    I can't eat right before I work out either....I feel sick and bloated , so i use the above mentioned food to get me thru if I have to eat close to a workout...of course, a banana is first choice :)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am if I am going to hit the gym before work... right after waking up I have a protein shake mixed with apple juice. Gives me both energy and fuel for my workout... After the gym I also take another protein shake before I get on the train.
  • sherrylhoward
    sherrylhoward Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to workout in the early mornings and would eat an apple before I left the house and sometimes (depending on how hard I would be working out that day) a protein shake in the car on the way.

Good Luck! Let us know what worked for you!
  • city_of_frogs
    city_of_frogs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A banana would be nice
    In QLD they're $13/kg at the moment. Still recovering from cyclones and floods...
    I'd try an apple, some crackers, or even a glass of milk (with protein if you like).
    That's my plan for tomorrow
  • Quarantined
    Options
    (Also I live in australia so please do not suggest bananas before workouts, I used to... but I just cannot afford them at $10.99pkg)

:'( bananas make me cry. Every couple of weeks I splurge and buy some....and then I feel too scared to look at the receipt to see how much they cost.

Have you tried having a Ryvita or two? I find they help a lot before a workout.