cooking from your pantry/fridge

Options
VeganInTraining
VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
What do you make when you haven't been shopping in a while but don't want to leave the house? (Take out doesn't count!) What do you throw together from your pantry and fridge to make a delicious treat?

I almost always have black beans and rice handy so I do some variation of the two combined, or I make tuna mac....but you all have GOT to have some better recipes than that!

Replies

• aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS keep a bag of frozen cauli in the feeze and make a cauli cheese thing
    I use creme fraise and grated cheese and finely chopped onion mixed with the cauli adding pepper herbs salt to taste
    grated cheese on top and throw it in the oven
    botht he creme fraise and cheese are reduced fat and with a large salad it makes a good meal for about 350 cals
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    for some reason I never buy frozen cauliflower, I think there needs to be more veggies in my freezer
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I always have some kind of pasta in the pantry... and frozen veggies. I just throw things together xD
  • stew774
    stew774 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I second the cauliflower. Steam or micro, top with a tomato sauce of choice. Add Parm if you like it. Almost no cal.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    I second the cauliflower. Steam or micro, top with a tomato sauce of choice. Add Parm if you like it. Almost no cal.

good call, never thought of that
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i dunnno......lets see.....most of hte time i always have canned tomatoes, whole wheat pasta and beans......so 90% of the time its some sort of pasta dish hehe, its always simple and filling. but usually i will make a pot of beans too and pig out on that, my inner mexican, or make some sort of stir fry with the pasta...... i like making a simple spaghettie with garlic sauteed in olive oil then toss it with a little bit of italian bread cumbs and some parmesan (sp?) cheese.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I always makes soup from the odds and ends of veg in the fridge, no 2 receipes are the same, then i add lentils or beans to it to make it really hearty or if for some reason i am out of those pasta of small pieces of spaghetti.

I also love creating receipes out of the leftovers in the fridge!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    My fast, filling and frugal go-to meal is;

Presidents Choice Blue Menu Lean Italian Meatballs – 5
    Great Value Frozen Mixed Vegetables - 1 cup
    Kikoman soy sauce – ½ tbsp
    Huy Fong hot sauce – ½ tsp
    Zinda Couscous – ¼ cup dry

It’s prepped and cooked in 5 minutes and is 391 calories. You can leave out the soy sauce or use low-sodium if you want but I’m always <1500mg daily so making this a part of my day like yesterday while studying for a midterm made my day 1803mg total.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If you are bored of regular rice...you could make rice...and a tinge of oil...then add sauteed onions in it....mmmm...I love this.

Also if I notice that my veggies are going a little soft...I chop them up and freeze them....and use them for chilli s and sauces....Its great when I run out of veggies and need some handy for a sauce.....I don't like to waste!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelets. Low cal and always have it in.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Why do I never freeze my extra veggies?! i need to start doing that! I just threw some out the other day that I would have loved to be able to eat.....I also think I need to start keeping more canned tomato products in my pantry. I am realizing that my pantry is mostly stocked with baking supplies....i ought not live on cookies and muffins!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I always have diced tomatoes, beans and chicken stock in the pantry so I usually make some sort of soup with beans or lentils and whatever veggies I have in the fridge. Sometimes I'll make a frittata or omelette. Frozen veggies are good for that.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Why do I never freeze my extra veggies?! i need to start doing that! I just threw some out the other day that I would have loved to be able to eat.....I also think I need to start keeping more canned tomato products in my pantry. I am realizing that my pantry is mostly stocked with baking supplies....i ought not live on cookies and muffins!

LOL you are too funny!!! The only thing about freezing extra veggies is that some get mushy when they thaw out...so make sure you remember that you could only use some for sauces and chillies.....I forgot that peppers get mushy and though I could make a stir fry!! LOL IDIOT!!! Good job I had some sauce lying around and I made pasta!!
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We always keep bags of frozen shrimp from Costco. Many times I go straight to the gym after work and by the time I get home it's after 8 pm. So the other night it was shrimp, whole wheat pasta, canned diced tomatoes, a whole zucchini, onions, mushrooms, lots of garlic, and fresh baby spinach. Seasoned with Italian seasonings like Oregano and Basil, salt, pepper tt and a little red wine. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of parmessan cheese. Wallah! Dinner in 20 minutes.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    We always keep bags of frozen shrimp from Costco. Many times I go straight to the gym after work and by the time I get home it's after 8 pm. So the other night it was shrimp, whole wheat pasta, canned diced tomatoes, a whole zucchini, onions, mushrooms, lots of garlic, and fresh baby spinach. Seasoned with Italian seasonings like Oregano and Basil, salt, pepper tt and a little red wine. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of parmessan cheese. Wallah! Dinner in 20 minutes.

This sounds delicious!