Did anyone else hear???!!

Options
On the today show this morning, I heard Joy Bauer ( a certified NUTRITIONIST) say that detoxing is a load of crap basically and that our bodies do a fine job at detoxing naturally. I have never tired a detox diet but have considered it as i've heard great things about it. THOUGHTS?!

Replies

• kristineh86
    kristineh86 Posts: 134
    Options
    On the today show this morning, I heard Joy Bauer ( a certified NUTRITIONIST) say that detoxing is a load of crap basically and that our bodies do a fine job at detoxing naturally. I have never tired a detox diet but have considered it as i've heard great things about it. THOUGHTS?!
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    Options
    i think "detoxing" would be good to jumpstart a weightloss program,but I agree with what Joy said about our bodies naturally detoxing.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I mentioned before on another post, that I wanted to try...(had to check) the Colonix program. I was pregnant so my Hubby did it instead to see how it all went. He was on it for three months. Using the Colonix, the probiotic stuff, and the toxin out stuff. He didn't lose any weight, and said there wasn't much different going on. Although drinking all that stuff, he wasn't drinking as much Mountain Dews as before. He also works in the OR as a surgical tech. He told me that he's seen lots of colons and that they are mostly pretty clean, that the whole bit about impacted fecal matter was in rare instances.

So that's my two cents.:happy:
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    that's bull...there's scientific proof out there that certain things are released better from your body with the assistance of certain herbs or other purging substances...the body definitely detoxes itself because of the liver/kidney's/etc, but not everyone's body detoxifies at 100% because of the crap we have built up in our bodies over years of eating...well...crap....

how come everytime i do a cleanse, i feel like a million bucks after? and a few days into it, i always reek of metal? and about four days in, i have flu-like symptoms?

so, if he's also saying detoxing is crap, then yoga is crap too. i've been doing kundalini yoga for years, and the breath work is extremely detoxifying (i've actually tasted aluminum in my mouth before during a whole week trying to cleanse using lion breathe)...i've also SWEAT NICOTINE during a yoga cleanse (literally, my sweat smelt like cigarette smoke and looked lightly yellow when i wiped it off with a towel)...i also used a lot of herbs during this time and that, along with a clean meatless diet, is probably what caused it...

the guys a moron...i, as well as thousands of others, am living proof....
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what you think of as detoxing.
    First let me tell you that each of us have a certain amount of gunk inside us, Some of it we need and what we do not we get rid of...
    We can detox ourselves by simply changing what we eat.
    IE: Fruit and veggies, Cut out the bad carbs.. White bread change to whole wheat. Read labels and stay away from corn syrup as MUCH as possible. Science has shown that corn syrup is one of the causes of obesity in America, WHY because it makes you more hungry, and it has this odd way to hang on to calories and increase them. Like if you drink one cola and it is 200 calories on the label the corn syrup in it will increase ion your body to about 300. I think they said something about it increases your bodies natural enzymes that hangs on to calories... The same thing happens when you go on a HIGHLY restricted calorie diet. Your body will think OH GOD SHE/HE IS STARVING US!!! WARNING WARNING HANG ON TO AS MANY CALORIES AS WE CAN!!! GOF KNOWS WHEN WE WILL EAT AGAIN!
    Real corn for some reason does not have the same effect, Only the corn syrup and other corn syrup derivatives.
    The lemon juice diet is OK to a point... If you want to add lemon to your water GO FOR IT! But eat your fruit and veggies, They are lower in calories and they help you eliminate the gunk that all the CRAB that we have eaten is sticking around.
    Do what you can do, with what nature gives you. You will be surprised at how your body reacts.
    BTW, I agree that Yoga is good for you, and I think that breathing in a correct form is good for you.
    I consider this part of what nature has given us.
    --Diann...
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    I've heard the same thing time & time again...our bodies do a fine job all on their own of keeping us clean. I've also heard that the colon cleansing products are a load of crap (pun intended) and are completely unnecessary.

In fact, there was a great story about the Dr. Ho program on CBC's "Marketplace" show. I'm sure if you Google it or check CBC's website you'd be able to find it.
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    I've heard the same thing time & time again...our bodies do a fine job all on their own of keeping us clean. I've also heard that the colon cleansing products are a load of crap (pun intended) and are completely unnecessary.

In fact, there was a great story about the Dr. Ho program on CBC's "Marketplace" show. I'm sure if you Google it or check CBC's website you'd be able to find it.

Follow up...here's the link to the "Marketplace" story from CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/how_not_to_win_500000/busted.html
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I have never really believed in detox. My friend just did it and it for a week, she did not enjoy it. She had a few more b.m.'s but that is it. No jump starting weight loss or any amazing results. Drink your water, get your fiber and exercise and you should be fine.
  • skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You know, I've read that on other websites that it is indeed just a bunch of boloney. I had really been thinking about detoxing and cleansing for a couple weeks now but I've randomly been researching and I think I'm just gonna nix the cleanse or detox. Nice to hear it again, so I know I don't have to go out and spend extra money now. Thanks. :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I think our bodies do a great job of homeostasis, regulating the good and bad.
    That said, the Earth use to do the same thing, before we polluted the hell outta it.
    But I think enough junk food pollutes our bodies and screws with that homeostasis.

I have no scientific backing to my beliefs, but I completely believe that our bodies hold all the unnatural, synthetic crap we put in them. Whether or not a detox program will work.... I dunno. Never bothered to try one, I think many are schemes like weight loss pills.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    My naturalist, I talk to a bit, said that when you detox, don't do it to lose weight. It could hurt you, but only detox when you have the sludge feeling all over, tired all the time, no appetite....or craing sugars and crap!

Knox how that feels?

He said you can go on his site and look it up and really get all the facts.

I only do it about every 3 months just to get rid of all those feelings.

We are riddled with parasites after all....

www.rebuildhealth.com
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options

how come everytime i do a cleanse, i feel like a million bucks after? and a few days into it, i always reek of metal? and about four days in, i have flu-like symptoms?

I'm not sure this is a good arguement. I mean, feeling better afterward could be a placebo effect. And reeking of metal after a few days into it...doesn't sound like it's helping you out much; let alone flu-like symptoms in a few days. I mean if it's helping your body, shouldn't you be healthier. I rarely ever get sick or have flu-like symptoms (like years in between) so having them after about four days sounds like a real problem.

P.S. the moron's name is Joy, doubt it's a guy:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    that's bull...there's scientific proof out there that certain things are released better from your body with the assistance of certain herbs or other purging substances...the body definitely detoxes itself because of the liver/kidney's/etc, but not everyone's body detoxifies at 100% because of the crap we have built up in our bodies over years of eating...well...crap....

so, if he's also saying detoxing is crap, then yoga is crap too. i've been doing kundalini yoga for years, and the breath work is extremely detoxifying (i've actually tasted aluminum in my mouth before during a whole week trying to cleanse using lion breathe)...i've also SWEAT NICOTINE during a yoga cleanse (literally, my sweat smelt like cigarette smoke and looked lightly yellow when i wiped it off with a towel)...i also used a lot of herbs during this time and that, along with a clean meatless diet, is probably what caused it...

Way too funny. People like this make me laugh no need to take it so personal people react differently to different things but your stuff if pretty out there....:laugh:
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options

Way too funny. People like this make me laugh no need to take it so personal people react differently to different things but your stuff if pretty out there....:laugh:

sorry, should've (once again) clarified some things...
    the metal we absorb through our skin, by drinking tap water, cooking with metal appliances, and eating processed foods does it's duty in leaving behind heavy metals in our body and usually stay there unless we force our bodies to purge it....after years of working in a lab as a food chemist and microimmunologist (now a licensed massage therapist), i noticed how much of the food i ate contained toxic metals and decided to research on how to better rid myself of these things if they were there...breath work seemed to be the most detoxifying, and i've found several herbs over the years that help with the process as well...unfortunately the human body has a hard time disposing of heavy metals and will get rid of it any way it can, such as through the lungs, our skin by sweating, the urine, bowel movements, or catharsis, so it's typical to have a metallic smell for those exposed to heavy metals throughout their lifetimes when they do a cleanse...

as for the flu-like symptoms, once we get a virus, we'll never get rid of it: it is a permanent part of our DNA, and can reappear later if the body is stressed or reintroduced to a similar (but not identical) virus (a good example is chicken pox and shingles)...when you cleanse, your body is somewhat shocked/stressed considering the liver/kidneys are working overtime to get rid of the gunk, and that can cause other organs to start purging themselves...the lungs may release built up pollutants in the form of mucus/sinuses drain and might presernt a runny nose or sore throat/a slight fever occurs because your body is trying to fight off the recurring virus/aches because of toxic overload/joint pain/fuzzy tongue/increased hypertonic urine/smelly bowel movements. all of this passes within a day or so and is typical for those who cleanse regularly...but after getting all of this nasty stuff out of your body, it's impossible to NOT feel better, lighter, cleaner...

as someone that blends the scientific evidence i have gathered being a scientist with the information i have found investigating traditional chinese medicine and holistic ayurvedic techiniques, i don't find my information "out-there" as much as i find it...well...information based on proof and years of accumulated knowledge...the "lady" i called a moron is that to me because a moron doesn't present all sides of a story, but that, of course, is my opinion...i don't personally believe a person should detox for weight loss, but for their well-being, and unfortunately thousands of people are disregarding cleansing/detoxing now because ONE person said it was useless to do it...not everyone should do it, but maybe, just maybe, a normal cleanse can help certain people live a more fulfilling life...traditional chinese cleanse certain organs at the end/beginning of every season, and they're one of the longest living and intelligent races...maybe they know somethings we americans don't?

and no one has to do a cleanse they find in a box, there are several techniques (using herbs, foods, teas, body/movement techniques) that a person can use without breaking the bank...

be a little more open minded, sassy...nurses are now using herbal guides in their practices, doctors are prescribing massage, oncologists are suggesting tai chi...people take things "personal" when others pass off science and holistic tradition as "useless", especially when they, their family, and whole cultures have used the same techniques for who knows how long....
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary either, but I've looked into colon cleansing more than any other cleanse, so I should say I specifically disagree with colon cleanses or cleanses that cause a severe laxative effect.

I'll be exposed to microbiology this summer as a research assistant. For now I have a very multi-cellular view as a "physiologist in training". I don't really look at the cell but how the whole organ works, and to me the organ works just fine on its own. But that's not to say that it can't work better if you've been treating it like crap for years.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I will agree I have heard of the stuff cquick is talking about. I mean I have heard real doctors mention it. I heard them speak about it on tv but it was when someone was exposed to toxic chemicals or other agents for a long time. I don't think cquick is making this up but I don't know if detox is something I would want to try personally.
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    I agree that our bodies know what to do but...we have to give
    them fruits and vegetables and the right amount of water,
    the right fuel. And...people can get into a whole mess of trouble
    by depleting vital minerals if they don't know what they are doing.
    Just my opinion. I take a Hyssop Cleanse and Probiotic and try to
    eat high portions of foods I know are high in antioxidants.
    Nature does the rest. Fiber ...fiber...fiber....
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I think many people equate a detox with a colon cleanse. Yes, I am sure that there are many natural products that can help the body with its natural functions. If that works for you, super! I think the body does a fine job of cleansing and regulating itself, without the need for exotic remedies.

One of the biggest money makers on the market is the Dual Action Cleanse, where you can lose 10, 20 or more lbs of putrified crap from your colon. Well, anyone who has had a colonoscopy can attest that there is NOT all that gunk stuck to the walls of your colon. I would love to hear from anyone who passed an anaconda-like creature in prep for a colonoscopy. I have hi-resolution pix from the procedure, and my colon is clean as a whistle!

Don't waste your money on this stuff, especially if you are only trying to lose weight.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing to take away is that our bodies don't like drastic change in a short time period. It's not how the body naturally does things, and since our bodies work by chemical priciple, to change that quickly is always going to change how we feel.

I say what ever you do, do it slowly, give your body weeks and months to adapt to changes, and you won't feel the horrible side effects. Using some kind of detox or cleanse will change your body chemistry, your ph balance, and your organ functions, which will obviously make you feel different, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

We live in an "I want it now!" society, so we all, to some degree, look for the quick fix to our problems. If we all just stopped and thought about it, slowly changing toward a healthy eating style, and adding daily exercise would do everything we want it to without needing to pump chemical (natural or processed) additives into our body.

I'm confident that if you truly take your time, in the long run, you'll be better off for it. Every time we stress our organs, we weaken them a little tiny bit. Give them time to adjust, and they can conform without stress, and that can give them the time they need to focus their function towards what is needed instead of scrambling and canabalizing to fit the need.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    As always, good sound advice from Banks.