whole wheat pasta

Options
wozzy38
wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
Anyone know if the calorie count on boxes of whole wheat pasta are for cooked or uncooked? I think uncooked but want to be sure

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    uncooked.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE TWO BEING DIFFERENT!!!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Uncooked
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Always uncooked - good to see you're opting for the wholewheat! I think it tastes nicer and has a better texture too!

75-100g dry weight is roughly a portion. :) I opt for 75g - Always seems enough!
  • conniehathcoat
    Options
    Labels are for uncooked pasta... Also, you should check out Rozini Garden Delight Pasta. It is made with servings of Spinach and Tomatoes...Its great !!! Good Luck. Connie
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love whole wheat pasta and havent had it in a while..Im looking forward to lunch now lol
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Labels are for uncooked pasta... Also, you should check out Rozini Garden Delight Pasta. It is made with servings of Spinach and Tomatoes...Its great !!! Good Luck. Connie

Ooh I must look into that!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta takes some getting used to, it's chewier especially if you aren't very careful with cooking time. If you cook it exactly as directed in already boiling water and don't overcook it that helps.

You might check out also: Artichoke pasta made from Jerusalem artichokes which is good tasting and lower in calories than regular pasta.

Also there's a brand of pasta called "dreamfields" that is lower in calorie content than regular pasta. Even using the dreamfields brand I have to watch the portion though, I've found myself amazed that *even the low cal pasta* is that high in calories.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Okay, about to show my ignorance here. Is the calorie count different once it's cooked? And if so, how. You're just taking something and boiling it in water. I'm so confused :noway:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Okay, about to show my ignorance here. Is the calorie count different once it's cooked? And if so, how. You're just taking something and boiling it in water. I'm so confused :noway:

The weight / volume is different once cooked.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Oh, thanks. Duh. Should of figured that one out. :ohwell:
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Barilla Plus is my favorite. You get a high serving of protein, fiber and Omega-3 with each box!

I eat roughly 1/4 of the box, which is 370 calories (not too bad for dinner!)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Oh, thanks. Duh. Should of figured that one out. :ohwell:

Haha, no problem.
  • Cydnie197
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta takes some getting used to, it's chewier especially if you aren't very careful with cooking time. If you cook it exactly as directed in already boiling water and don't overcook it that helps.

You might check out also: Artichoke pasta made from Jerusalem artichokes which is good tasting and lower in calories than regular pasta.

Also there's a brand of pasta called "dreamfields" that is lower in calorie content than regular pasta. Even using the dreamfields brand I have to watch the portion though, I've found myself amazed that *even the low cal pasta* is that high in calories.

The magic of the dreamfields pasta is its low carb count. My father is type 1 (and type 2) diabetic and theirs is the ONLY brand of pasta he can have. Somehow they have only 5g carbs.