No weight loss

Options
hi all

I am burning average of 500cals by exercise , sometimes even 800 a day n my intake cal is 1200
I am having low fat food n non processed ones
Now issue is m not losing weight
Missed my periods 2 months now , doc is checking for pcos ( though I feel I hav it) but even if it's pcos I would prefer to loose weight to reduce it's symptoms as I hav read weight loss effects significantly on pcos

Again coming bk to the qs, anybody has experienced this ?
This last month I havnt loss more thn a lb or so
N non this week

Getting really annoyed

Replies

• awkwwward
    Options
    Well, first thing - good thing you're going to a doctor. Sometimes there is something more than just the calories at hand. Secondly, are you NETTING 1,200 cals a day or are you intaking that and still burning another 500? Tell us a bit more about your stats and how you're burning the cals and we'll have a bit more to go on. Good luck!
  • maryzcontrary
    Options
    Well, if you are burning 800/day thru exercise, not to mention the calories you burn just to live, and you are eating only 1200, then your body is trying to function on 400 calories a day, which tells the body that there is a famine going on, and it's starving, so it's conserving as much body fat as it can, so that it will survive the famine. Read some of the posts that talk about this, and EAT! Just eat well. I did the same thing starting out, with the same results, and had to up my calories, and EAT, which was very uncomfortable for me, because my usual thinking meant that dieting and starving and going without was the only way to lose weight. Now, I average 1/2 lb/wk, as I am close to my goal weight, and I have learned that this is the best way for me to go. It's a lifestyle change, not a temporary deprivation.

400 calories a day can not possibly sustain good health and long life.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you aren't eating nearly enough.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you're being tested for pcos than you're probably a little stressed and you've got your body in survival mode. I've been battling some pcos symptoms so I have some of the same worries you do. The best thing to do is to learn to eat like a health nut. No hydrogenated oils period. Check your peanutbutter and that low calorie butter substitue. Getting your weight down is going to make a huge difference too. Make sure you are eating 1200 net calories or you're going to short circut your weight loss.
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    1200 is quite low, but does depend on how much you ar wanting to lose and what your start weight is. deffo make sure your eating your cals back so that you eat a nett of at least 1200, ie 1200 -800 max exercise cals only leaves you with 400 cals nett eaten or 1200 - exercise 500 leaves 700 nett cals.

Sorry hope im making sense and it doesnt come across like im telling you how to suck eggs lol

I posted this responce on your other thread too :wink:

Edit: I wanted to add that I was diagnosed with PCOS 12 yrs ago and since using this site I have been able to assess my eating proportions of carbs/proteins/fat etc and noticed that a 40% carb 30% Protein 30% fats seems to work well for me, I posted a few months back on this subject and noticed that other PCOS suffers had altered their carbs to lower too.

well done on getting things rolling with the doc, best of luck.
  • marshars1
    marshars1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i didnt know i had to eat those calories infact i read it on this website som1 saying not to eat bak wat u burn but burn wat u eat
    with this much exercise n cal i hav just lost 7lbs in 2weeks ( had a naughty kfc treat last month but if i rem i burned around 500 cal that day )
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    It think is definately a personal thing with eating back your exercise cals, for me I can get away with not eating all mine because I have my daily cals set at 1500, so if I did 300 worth of exercise then I would still nett 1200 which in know alot of folk say do not go under.

I also zig zag my cals on a daily basis so one day may be 1200, another 1500 and another 1800, I like using my ipod as it gives me a weekly average and im usually under for my weekly total 1500x7.

I know I struggle with the PCOS side for weight loss. Recently I've been stuck for about 5 weeks with no loss, then just dropped 1 half out of nowhere overnight. When I looked at the average of what I have lost it is roughly a 1lb a week yet MFP is set up for 1 & half + so im not far off.