Sugar grams per day

Options
So now that I've been logging my food on MFP for a couple of weeks, I've noticed that I'm always way over my sugar- like 50-60 grams over. Does anyone stay in range? If so, what kind of diet do you have? I thought my diet was fairly good and I am losing weight but this really concerns me.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am over on my sugar if I have a bowl of cereal in the morning, at some point u have to just relax and realize that if you are doing great, don't let one of the obscure macronutrients stress you out :)
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am over on my sugar if I have a bowl of cereal in the morning, at some point u have to just relax and realize that if you are doing great, don't let one of the obscure macronutrients stress you out :)

What if I'm DOUBLE my sodium? If I go that far over, I try to increase my water (but I only drink 4-5 cups a day anyway, 8 is too much! I'd never leave the WC!) Can i ignore it if I'm under in my cals?
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Im general, if you notice yourself going insanely over (or under) in any area, research ways in which you can change up your diet to strike more of a balance. If you are double over on ur sugar or sodium, then it would be appropriate to explore ways to lower those numbers, but don't let that be the FOCUS of your diet. If you are on track with calories, exercising, seeing results, then who cares if you have too much sugar or sodium?
  • leylaaa87
    Options
    I sort of care because unused sugar turns to fat, doesn't it? I guess I'm concerned about becoming (more) skinny fat. It seems like sugar is not good fuel for muscles.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    I sort of care because unused sugar turns to fat, doesn't it? I guess I'm concerned about becoming (more) skinny fat. It seems like sugar is not good fuel for muscles.

Oh boy.

Sugar does not turn to fat. Excess calories turn to fat. If sugar turned to fat, all the Africans who eat rice with sugar, corn with sugar and tea with sugar would be obese since it's in every meal.

Arbitrary numbers on the internet are not a big deal. The day you start worrying about cutting fruits and other healthy foods out of your diet because of the amount of sugar is the day the stress from worrying about it causes far more damage than any amount of sugar you take in.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Im general, if you notice yourself going insanely over (or under) in any area, research ways in which you can change up your diet to strike more of a balance. If you are double over on ur sugar or sodium, then it would be appropriate to explore ways to lower those numbers, but don't let that be the FOCUS of your diet. If you are on track with calories, exercising, seeing results, then who cares if you have too much sugar or sodium?

Love this!

Of course I am looking at lower sodium meals and snacks and ingredients since I've realised how far over I go. At one point if I reached my sodium limit, I just stopped eating for the day, but then I thought it's calories that are important.
  • leylaaa87
    Options

Oh boy.

Sugar does not turn to fat. Excess calories turn to fat. If sugar turned to fat, all the Africans who eat rice with sugar, corn with sugar and tea with sugar would be obese since it's in every meal.

Arbitrary numbers on the internet are not a big deal. The day you start worrying about cutting fruits and other healthy foods out of your diet because of the amount of sugar is the day the stress from worrying about it causes far more damage than any amount of sugar you take in.

Ok so only excess sugar calories turn into fat?

I have family in (North) Africa. They have a lot of heavily sugared tea- all day every day. And the women are very fat. They are probably getting their fair share of calories though and don't exercise so that's probably it.

You're right, I shouldn't stress.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Oh boy.

Ok so only excess sugar calories turn into fat?

I have family in (North) Africa. They have a lot of heavily sugared tea- all day every day. And the women are very fat. They are probably getting their fair share of calories though and don't exercise so that's probably it.

You're right, I shouldn't stress.

Excess calories from anything, not just sugar, turn into fat. Sodium won't make you gain fat, it'll just hurt the numbers on the scales as excess will make you store more water.