Alter the couch to 5k????

Options
Hey everyone so in the couch to 5k it calls for a run 3 days a week with 2 days off between weeks. So if I need to be able to run a 5k on Thanksgiving if I ran every other day do you think that would work? would I be ready? I'm one run away from being done with week 1 so I'm not starting from scratch. Just kicking around the idea of signing up so I have a deadline. any thoughts???

Replies

• michelleb148
    michelleb148 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I mix up the days off - sometimes I take 2 days in the middle of the week, depending on my busy schedule. I wouldn't think there would be a problem with running every other day.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level you should be fine.

5k is only 3.1 miles, so you don't have a whole lot to prepare for...just pay attention to what your body is saying.

I've never done the C25K before, but I would think it wouldn't be a problem.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options

5k is only 3.1 miles, so you don't have a whole lot to prepare for...just pay attention to what your body is saying.

Only? Lol! Tell that to a beginner! That sounds like a hundred to me! But I am only on week 2.
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I can handle it, but now I have to get the balls to take the step and sign up for it. What am I getting myself into. I'm gonna cruise out and take a look at the route before I sign up to make sure its not crazy hilly!!! OMGoodness!!!!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    You should be around week 8 by then...pretty darn close; it is possible.
  • fatreddhead
    Options
    I did the C25K running every other day (without the 2 day break between weeks).. I did not have any problems with it. I think it is just what your body will take. Be careful though, don't push too hard or you might hurt yourself.Listen to your body and make sure to get a good pair of running shoes(getting fitted is quick and does wonders for your feet and legs) Once you get to W5D3.. thats the 20min run, it is pretty consistent and I could run a 5k at that point. Just watch your pace and REALLY concentrate on your breathing. Good luck!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K running every other day (without the 2 day break between weeks).. I did not have any problems with it.

Same here. If it feels like too much, you could take an extra rest day.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I didn't do C25K, but I did something similar and I went from no running to 5k in less than 6 weeks. You can do it!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

Only? Lol! Tell that to a beginner! That sounds like a hundred to me! But I am only on week 2.

LOL, I started running in May of this year, so I'm kind of a beginner still as well, but running my first half-marathon in 2 weeks...but I see what you mean.

I started with interval runs, and my starting distance was 2.5 miles, and that became 3 in like 2 days, so it's not a huge leap to think that..for me anyway.
  • Albeaujean
    Options
    I did C25K Monday - Thursday with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. I think as long as you are consistent with your progress and listen to your body you will be fine. There was a week that I added another work out to my week and a week where I reduced a day and repeated a step. I was able to succeed doing it that way. (I was training for a triathlon.)

Listen to your body. You'll know if you need to rest or not. :)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    At least take a day off between runs and take the extra break day when needed.
    You don't want to get injured or burnt out. Don't do too much too soon. (Depending on your current fitness level)

I did a 5K in Week 6 and it was fine. My time was horrible, 38:40, but it gave me a starting point to beat next time.

Good Luck and listen to your body.
  • threechins
    threechins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'll add to the other voices... you'll be fine.

I started by running every day (and I mean every day), basically just starting off and running as far as I could until I had to stop and gradually watching the distance grow - so it is possible.

Having said that, looking back it isn't the best way to start! Make sure you're getting enough recovery time and listen to what your body is telling you.

I'd pay very close attention to your pace as well. Get to know what feels like a comfortable pace for you (not what you see others doing or think others would see as a reasonable pace). You won't have lots of running experience by the time Thanksgiving arrives, and it will be hard to keep your own rhythm with lots of other runners - which usually means you'll start too fast. If you know what your comfortable pace feels like, and focus on that, you can avoid burning out in the first few k on race day.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When I did the c25k program, I pretty much ran every other day. I wanted to build the habit. My first 5k was about 6 weeks after starting the program.

Good Luck!