October is the official start of the junk food season in my

October is the official start of the junk food season in my office. On Monday, there were GIANT chocolate cookies, on Tuesday there was a GARGANTUAN cake in the lunchroom, on Wednesday there were these ENORMOUS soft pretzels. Today there are about 50DOZEN (yes I said 50dozen) donuts. Next week there will be pounds of Halloween Candy, which will continue to be replenished until October 31st. Then starting in November, and lasting through December, there will be enticing food stuffed gift baskets filled with cookies, cakes & cream filled items......Le sigh.....I wonder where I can buy a 4 month supply of willpower. #DIETFAIL

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Well just take a little beacuse depriving yourself will only leand to a binge!!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    oh, booo !! that sucks..i salivated just reading your list..i can't imagine being faced with it in person:frown: you can do this, i guess avoid the breakroom or whatever as much as possible, and remind yourself those foods are the devil:devil: LoLfeel free to add me if you need more support, and very best of luck..this is the time of year that will be tough on all of us
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    If you find where to buy willpower...will you let me know please....I need some...lol
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    I would try to avoid where the food is as much as possible. If there is an item there that you really like and can't stop thinking about after a certain period of time (at least 20 minutes), then take only a small amount and immediately track it. Sounds like a tough situation, that would be hard for me too.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Wow.
    If it was possible to not get fat, that would be like heaven.
    Good luck!
  • Wow.... make a decision that you will only partake like once a week if at all. I've been tracking my food here and cleaning up my eating for 15 weeks now. One thing that has happened to me is that my taste buds have totally changed. Those treats that may have been enticing before, you may realize don't taste as good as you remember. This has happened to me a lot over the last few weeks. In fact yesterday we had choc doughnuts and they looked SOOO good. I took A bite of one, and ewwww... it wasn't even good at all. If something isn't really great, I won't eat it because I don't want to waste my calories on it. Good luck with all the treats around there, but just remember to stay focused, on track and if you eat it, log it and you will be fine!
  • October is the official start of the junk food season in my office. On Monday, there were GIANT chocolate cookies, on Tuesday there was a GARGANTUAN cake in the lunchroom, on Wednesday there were these ENORMOUS soft pretzels. Today there are about 50DOZEN (yes I said 50dozen) donuts. Next week there will be pounds of Halloween Candy, which will continue to be replenished until October 31st. Then starting in November, and lasting through December, there will be enticing food stuffed gift baskets filled with cookies, cakes & cream filled items......Le sigh.....I wonder where I can buy a 4 month supply of willpower. #DIETFAIL

I am sorry to hear that! I am in a small office and we are ALL in a weight loss contest until Dec. 22. Some are not doing very well at all, but it at least keeps the junk out of the lunch room ... for the most part.
  • I don't know where you work but I'm jealous! jk jk. Heh. I'm sure your willpower will win out over the candy season!
  • bl_stand
    bl_stand Posts: 1 Member
    I know how you feel. I work in a small hospital and there is always a constant flow of "bad food" this time of year. Through the holidays each department is asked to bring "goodies" on a certain day. There is always the sweets and breads but no healthy food. I always try to bring the veggie and fruit trays or even a meat and cheese tray just so I can eat that instead of everything else offered. It is hard to resist the goodies because I have a major sweet tooth, but I try to load up on the good food and maybe allow myself one bad thing. But make one good decision and it will get easier. If it is possible for you, pack your own snacks such as carrots, nuts or some kind of fruit to take with you through these months. Even chew gum or a sugar free lifesaver when you are getting an overwhelming craving to go fo the bad stuff. That helps me a lot of the time. There is another post on here about a woman doing a 21 Day No Junk Food Challenge. I think I'm going to give it a try. Good luck to you!!! I bet you have more willpower than you think you do!
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    This is a hard time of the year for me because being raised with parents from down south we eat and when the weather gets like this I BAKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL OF THE TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love all the smells in the house from the baked goods in the oven !! OH DEAR !!!!!!
  • I feel your pain. Every day for the last two weeks there have been trays of donuts, biscuits, chocolates or cakes. There was also a daily cupcake run for heavens sake!!

So if you see my diary I've been having way too many redvelvet cupcakes. There are more now and trying to resist is impossible...just looking at them makes me hungry. I keep telling myself I'm not hungry, just thirsty....5 glasses of water later and I still want the frosting!!
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    One of my co-workers brought in home made cheese biscuits (more like muffins) this morning. I have to admit .... I caved and had one ... I'll make up for it this evening when I do my cardio. I think it's okay to allow ourselves a little treat every now and then ... the hard part, of course, is trying to do so in moderation, especially when surrounded by so much temptation! Just keep your goals in mind ... think about how good it feels at the end of the day knowing that you stayed strong and resisted ... and even if you do give in and have something, just realize that it's not the end of the world and you can rebound from it! :)
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    I don't know where you work but I'm jealous! jk jk. Heh. I'm sure your willpower will win out over the candy season!

Yeah, for me, candy is pretty easy to resist (except candy corn)... it's those cakes and cookies that require loads of willpower. Just stay strong - but I would give in at least once a week; because you know the rules... if you can't have it, you want it even more.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    oh wow....that sucks!!! I would avoid it when you can, take a little so not to deprive yourself, but not too much so you don't feel guilty, and then have healthy snacks at your desk for reinforcements. Maybe also post your goals around your desk to help keep you motivated. Good luck to you! This will be a true test for sure...(just don't beat yourself up for being human) :smile:
  • psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Eating it and logging it = No binge. Don't deprive yourself of foods.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    You think that 's bad, try working for a food flavoring company. We constantly have food going around here. We provide flavoring for one of the largest and most popular donut chains here in the south - there are always donuts here. Yesterday, they were taste testing frappachino (sp ?) recipes - I had to taste 3 of them (part of my job).

Not to mention all the pot luck stuff that is always on the counter.....luckily it's usually not too bad. One guy brings in shrimp and grits about once a month.

But, there is always cookies, donuts, bagels, etc, etc, here.

Ugh. I feel your pain.
  • pennylove76
    pennylove76 Posts: 14 Member
    I tried suggesting maybe having fruit or granola 1-2x a week in lieu of the junk food. I was looked at like I had 3 heads. I'm not saying I won't have any and I am not saying I don't like it. I just wish they would mix it up with some healthier options. I know beggars can't e choosy but if you are doing this to show the employees appreciation then what makes you think the employees wouldn't appreciate some healthier items. As for me, I had 2 cookies on Monday, on Tuesday I had a tiny bite of cake (literally I took a bite & didn't like it) I ignored the pretzels and will try to ignore the donuts. The candy will be hard to resist. I've busted my butt to lose 20lbs so far. I don't want to extinguish my efforts with dough and sugar. Plus with the holiday season coming up I would rather save calories for those really nice happy hours and holiday parties. Lol. It's such a juggling act trying to have that balanced diet without feeling like you are always depriving yourself.
  • pennylove76
    pennylove76 Posts: 14 Member
    One more thing, I have no problem treating myself. However, is it still a treat when it is brought in every single day. LOL.
    :drinker: