Tired a lot

Options
I'm a little more than two weeks into my diet and it's going well, if slow. But I've noticed that I'm tired a lot. When I first started diet and exercise, I actually had more energy. But now I find myself going to bed at 8:00 because I feel as tired as I used to at 10:00. I've thought about what may be causing it and I've come up with some theories, but I'm not sure that any of them are really the cause.

First, I used to have an all day Coca-cola habit. So I'm definitely getting less caffeine. But I bought some Coke Zeros and that didn't seem to help.

Second, I'm in less pain. I have fibromyalgia and the exercise has decreased my pain level throughout the day, which is a good thing, but could be causing me to relax more and my body's translating that as tiredness. It's also causing me to take less pain medication. Since my brain is apparently wired backwards, pain meds usually makes me more alert instead of tired as it does most people. But even when I do take one, I don't notice a difference.

My mom suggested I'm not getting enough protein. But she made that suggestion on Sunday and I'd eaten with my parents both weekend nights, beef stew and hot dogs. And I'd eaten two servings of boiled peanuts that day. So that should have been plenty of protein if that was the case. I'm not sure if there's any other vitamin or nutrient that I could be lacking to cause tiredness.

Most days I eat all of my calories, although not always all of my exercise calories. I'm not hungry, so it seems that I should be getting enough to not be starving.

Anyone have any new theories or anything I may be missing on the ones I put?

Replies

• tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary for the last three days, I see a distinct lack of fruits and vegetables and lots of processed and frozen foods.

Fruits and vegetables contain vitamins and minerals that will give you the energy that you need to do the things you need to do.
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You may want to talk with your doctor about getting a B12 shot. It really helps with energy. I get a shot once a month. Can't go without it.
  • Whopooh
    Whopooh Posts: 50
    Options
    Are you taking any vitamins? I swear by B12 the type you put under your tough. I take it every day and I really think it makes a difference. I also take calcium and a multi. Honestly I've been a little tired but I think it is related to the season changing. Hope this helps.
  • kivrinangel
    Options
    I think I will start taking some vitamins and see if that helps.

You're right about the processed foods. I try to eat fruit and veggies where I can, but between work and being a single mom, it's hard to find the time. It also doesn't help that I'm allergic to about half of them. I used to love watermelon, cantaloupe, and grapes, but now they'll make my throat start to close up.

Thanks for the quick responses! I think I'll stop off and at least get a multivitamin before my first client appointment and see if it gives me more energy.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom too, so I can relate. I also have a number of food allergies, so I have limitations as well. We just have to find what works for us and (I'm finding out) plan....plan....plan! LOL
  • EA4488
    EA4488 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi there,
    So I am only a second year medical student but there are a few things this can be linked to.

1) Hormonal Imbalance/Adjustment
    When starting a new diet, this is exactly why it is imperative to discuss it with your doctor. I don't know your previous lab results, but it can be that a mild hormonal imbalance is exacerbated by starting a new diet. Talk with your doctor and bring your log with you to show him/her what you are eating. Perhaps your body needs a certain level of vitamins, minerals, and nutrition you are not quite fitting in.

2) Anemia
    Also when starting a new diet, one threat for every person is anemia. Your body isn't used to getting a lower calorie amount and is trying to adjust. As the body is adjusting, it can lead one to be mildly anemic. Anemia presents with tiredness, fatigue, "run down" feeling, and ability to bruise a bit easier.

3) Vitamin B12
    Someone also posted this, but I want to stress that if you don't need a B12 shot, then DO NOT get one. It is not a treatment for being tired. It is a treatment for those who are low on the levels of the vitamin and will only be helpful to those that need it.

This list is NOT exhaustive or diagnostic. Talk with your physician!
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    Looking at your diary for the last three days, I see a distinct lack of fruits and vegetables and lots of processed and frozen foods.

Fruits and vegetables contain vitamins and minerals that will give you the energy that you need to do the things you need to do.

I agree with this and your mother. It looks like getting more protein and less carbs will help and don't forget your vegetables, they fill you up with out filling you out. lol. I get the kind you can steam in a bag quick easy and keeps the most nutrients in them. Also I don't know if you didn't just log it but you looked low on water. You should do at least 64ounces but ideal half your body weight in ounces of water. That should put you to about where you need to be with exercise. Being dehydrated can cause you to be tired as well. Taking a multi-vitiamin that dissolves in water, fish oil or flax pills and I also take a hair, skin and nails pill to keep my skin elastic while I'm losing weight. It's alot to take but they keep me going and most important to have the heart healthy oils while trying to cut the fat out. That's what's helped me. More water need to stay hydrated and a better ratio of protien to carbs. More protien is better than carbs and it's what gives you energy with out crashing later.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'd make sure my breakfast was a little more substantial. At least 300 cals. Try and incorporate a protein. Feel free to add me and ask for some ideas if you need to =)

Also... make sure you eat back your exercise calories. The more exercise you do, the more energy you burn, the more food you need! This will help to keep your metabolism firing and help you lose weight more freely.

Other than that, great job! Keep up the good work :smile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I agree with this, you're diary over the past week appears to be missing fruits, veggies, protein, whole grains, and possibly overall calories period. Get out your pots and pans, if you must eat eggos put some warm berries on top (pick up a frozen bag, put some in a bowl, place in microwave, mush, top eggo). But really think about getting out of the aisles and hit up the outside of the grocery store where the fresh products live. We have a lot of allergies in our house too, and very busy lives. I do all my grocery shopping on Saturday and cooking on Sunday. It's helped our pocket book and our overall nutrition.
  • fightbbrave
    Options
    uuumm..................:ohwell: what about iron tablets/vitamins?

I did a research see below, i dont know if this can help!!

What Causes Weight Loss Fatigue?

To understand weight loss fatigue, we need to first look at the process of weight loss. Each pound of fat is equal to 3,500 calories. Therefore, in order to lose weight an individual has three options: reduce calorie intake by 3,500 calories (for each pound of fat loss sought), increase exercise activity enough to work off the weight, or combine both approaches. However, medical professionals recommend no more than 1/2 to 2 pounds of weight loss per week; otherwise, you risk weight loss fatigue and other complications.

Weight Loss Fatigue Symptoms and Other Complications

When an individual drastically cuts the daily calories he consumes in order to lose weight more quickly (more than 2 pounds per week, less than that in some specific health cases), he risks experiencing several weight loss fatigue symptoms (low energy, mental difficulty, depression) as well as other health complications (formation of Gallstones). If the calories that she does choose to eat has limited or insufficient nutrient content, that can cause symptoms too.
    Low Energy Symptom of Fatigue

Without the daily intake of the total number of calories needed, the body is unable to produce the fuel it needs to operate at an optimum level in our muscles, heart, lungs and other important organs. Therefore, one of the first fatigue symptoms experienced by those losing weight is a lower energy level.

For some people, this low energy level can appear with a mere 250 daily calorie reduction; for others, it might take a 500 (or higher) daily calorie reduction. The low energy problem can serve as a red flag to aid dieters in realizing that they need to raise their calorie count slightly to see if the symptom then disappears. Otherwise, they may have a different medical problem causing the condition.
    Memory and Thought Problem Symptoms

Without a balanced nutritional diet being consumed each day, the brain cannot function as it should, or as speedily. This results in unclear thinking processes, such as forgetting where you put the keys to the car or that you have an appointment at a certain time. In an effort to help people better understand their daily nutritional needs, the Department of Agriculture replaced their old Food Pyramid chart with an interactive one (see the Resource Section). The new one better aids people of all ages and conditions in understanding their daily nutritional needs.
    Emotional Symptoms

A person's emotions can be affected by weight loss too, causing a sense of apathy (an indifference to situations that are going on around them at work, school or home). This occurs when vital nutrients are not present in the diet, hindering the brain from functioning properly. If the diet is reduced too much nutritionally, the Serotonin levels in the brain can be affected even more and result in more serious depressive symptoms.

Read more: Symptoms of Weight Loss Fatigue | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5138504_symptoms-weight-loss-fatigue.html#ixzz1a1VBr0Rk
  • kivrinangel
    Options
    Thank you to all of you for the advice. I did pick up a multi-vitamin this morning and added it to my medication organizer so that I can remember to take it every day.