DAY 1..Feeling Overwhelmed Already..... LOTS of info out her

Options
DAY 1......

UGH.... I will NOT get discouraged but I feel so overwhelmed with the information out here!!

I guess I need to start with the down and dirty ONLY!!

Replies

• curiousmissclay
    Options
    If you need a friend just add me x
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    Not to worry. It's day 4 for me, my goal is to keep up with the food diary so that I get used to portion control. Exercise will come next... Friend me if you want. :)
    Maryanne
  • sherry_ann_mt
    sherry_ann_mt Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    baby steps...little by little...that is my mantra!! feel free to add me...I would be happy to have another friend to go through this journey with!!! I am new to this to......to get discouraged!!! this is a very supportive place!!!!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! Don't get discouraged, just don't try to do it all at once! When I started i focused on logging my food and seeing where I needed to make changes. After a month it became easy to know what I should and shouldn't eat and also I learned to allow mself the treats I wanted/craved so I wouldn't over eat when i finally did have them.
    Once I got really comfortable witht eh food thing, I really focused on my exercising routine and tried new things.
    Take it slowly. This is a journey, not a race. you need to make changes you can live the rest of you life with not just to lose the weight now.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like!!
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You'll do just fine. I'm still somewhat of a newbie to MFP with just 40 some days down but I can tell you this is a great site with a lot of amazing ppl on it. I have found some great friends that keep you motivated with their positiveness and you will too. Good luck on this your weight loss journey!
  • superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Relax about it. You didn't get to this point overnight and the road to a healthy you isn't that quick either. It is a learning process that takes time. Just a suggestion start with one meal a day, make it healthy, but don't go overboard on your other meals. When you feel comfortable with that, add another meal.
    There is a lot of info out there and one study contradicts another, and this works for so & so, but doesn't work for him/her and so on. Just use your common sense when you read through the stuff. Try not to be overwhelmed. (this may not be the appropriate place for this saying, but..) How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
    Good luck to you, you CAN do this. Have fun with the healthier you!
  • dru_howard
    Options
    It is SO overwhelming and I've been at this since January. I have had steady, consistent weight loss for the most part so it's paid off. I think everything you read here should be taken at face value and realize that all people are just trying to do better and make themselves better. That being said, YOU know your body better than anyone else in the world and you will figure out what works for you. The only advice I have to offer is to be honest and strict with your logging (especially at first) and learn what helps you and what foods make you feel good/bad. Eat a well rounded diet and get in some exercise when you can.

When I started, I made one change at a time (ie: dropped one bad habit or gained a new one) and when I felt I had made that a forever type lifestyle change, I moved onto the next one. My first one was quitting soda and drinking 70-80 oz of water/day. Next came, eating 4-5 servings of fruits and veggies a day, next was watching my sodium intake, next was actually listening to my body and when it was hungry and finally adding activity. Am I perfect at this? Absolutely not, but I strive to acheive this the majority of the time and it's worked out well.

Good luck - you'll do great and you will be seeing results in no time!
  • Dancergrrl87
    Options
    Hey there! Don't worry about feeling overwhelmed, it'll pass. When I first started, my head was spinning with all of the information, so I just would log my meals and weigh in every day. When I had a question, I'd either post it on the forums or scroll through to find out more information. This site's amazing though, it has everything you need! If you need any support, feel free to add me. :) Good luck on your endeavors!!
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    ^^^

Very slowly, over time, this approach has changed my life for the better.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am new too! Been here just over a week now. Once you get through a few weeks it will get easier. I am starting to freak out less now, I read EVERYTHING..... I am not reading as much info now and I try not to stress out as much. If something doesn't work for me I will just change it for the next week, no need to try and be perfect throughout this.

Feel free to add me!
  • sweetsounds1026
    sweetsounds1026 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel overwhelmed all the time. I am the only one in my family watching what I eat due to health reasons. Everyone else around me still eating the same old same old. It's hard when you try to do it on your own. I am really determined this time around though, especially since I plan to be around for a long time to come for my kids. Try to surround yourself with like minded people and keep in touch with others going through what you are going through so that you can motivate each other and help each other stay on track. Good luch to you. Add me as a friend if you'd like. ;)