Cardio vs. Strength Exercises for abs

What's a good balance between cardio and strength exercise for abs? Still have some "jiggly" to rid of. So should I work on more cardio to burn the fat or concentrate more on abs exercise? I'm not looking to get that 6-pack right away as I know that takes time, but more so to get rid of what's left of the beer gut and stop the j-ello jiggles. ;)P

Thanks!

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    bump
  • FitnessDivaK
    FitnessDivaK Posts: 180 Member
    Cardio is what's going to get rid of the jiggle. Abs exercise will tone the muscle. I'd say cardio is most important at first...then increase ur abs exercise while continuing to do cardio. There's no point in building the muscle if you can't see it under the flub...

Also be mindful of the foods you take in. Some foods, such as pasta, rice and other sugary carbs/breads will make it harder for you to lose belly fat and/or cause you to bloat...
  • A combination of both.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Short answer is both...however:

Diet is #1 priority. Your diet needs to be in check before you will ever see your abs.

You don't even need to do any crunches or core exercises to have abs. Everyone has abs underneath the fat. Doing strength exercises will condition them a bit.
  • Buca412
    Buca412 Posts: 301 Member
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    You need to lower your overall body fat, but weight training the abs is important to build stength in them. I do weighted plank and weighted leg raises from a pullup bar a few times a week at least. Then again, i think everything should just be a balance of cardio AND weight lifting, regardless of which muscle group you prefer :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Short answer is both...however:

Diet is #1 priority. Your diet needs to be in check before you will ever see your abs.

You don't even need to do any crunches or core exercises to have abs. Everyone has abs underneath the fat. Doing strength exercises will condition them a bit.

Damn it. Joe stole my answer.