Observation on energy and exercise

Options
Hi,

This is probably common knowledge for most people, but I noticed something interesting while working out last night.

I posted a thread the other day about having an issue with my sweat smelling like ammonia during really strenuous exercise. The knowledgeable members who posted told me that the smell was due to burning protein as I had exhausted all my carb stores.

They suggested adding some carbs before a workout and it really helped! About 1 hr before my cardio I had a Clif Energy bar (220 cals, 46g of carbs). I've never had a cardio workout that good and no ammonia smell! I had energy, was able to keep up, and didn't feel like I had been dragged through hell by the end of it. My Polar showed a good 600 calorie burn too. Scale went down this AM too.

I usually exercise several hours after eating or first thing in the AM on an empty stomach. Having some quick carbs before hard cardio really helped me during, and my post recovery.

I guess this why marathon runners load up on pasta the night before.

Again, common knowledge, but as an unhealthy obese man becoming healthy and less overweight I find I have to re-learn these things for myself. Thought I would share.

Replies

• runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    awesome!!!
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    Glad you shared - I didn't realize this. I work out at 4:30 in the morning so it will be interesting trying to fit carbs in before the workout but I believe I will give it a try!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'll try to drink a pure protein shake either 1 hour before or directly after my runs. I find that they make me feel better even though it's mostly protein and not heavy on the carbs.

I swear my best runs were about 30 minutes after I ate a big piece of cake. (I didn't plan it, I just suddenly felt the urge to go running. Sugar high perhaps?), but i know that's not healthy and I don't do that anymore. Lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I did know that, but I still this it's great that you posted it. There are a lot of carb haters on this site that seem to be on a mission to convince everyone that carbs are not needed. Okay, yes you can 'exist' without eating carbs. But that doesn't mean that you'll perform better or be healthier without them. Carbs are important.
  • sgpaschak
    Options
    I did know that, but I still this it's great that you posted it. There are a lot of carb haters on this site that seem to be on a mission to convince everyone that carbs are not needed. Okay, yes you can 'exist' without eating carbs. But that doesn't mean that you'll perform better or be healthier without them. Carbs are important.

I guess it depends on your goals though. I don't want to be skinny, I want to be fit. To be fit I need to exercise, and to exercise I need fuel. Part of what I have been learning by following this site, is that exercise is not for weight loss, it is for fitness and health.

I know a lot of people are very passionate about the carb issue and some have seen great results, but what works for me is a balanced diet, and I find that carbs are giving me fuel for my Power 90 MS exercises. I think part of the P90X eating plan focuses on the relationship between carbs and energy too, but I haven't seen it yet.

It just made me feel proud of myself though to know that I was pushing myself hard enough to burn all my available glycogen, but I don't want to lose my lean mass, so I'll keep nourishing myself enough to give me energy to work out.

I think going off of my BP and anxiety meds has more to do with my exercsing 5-6 days per week rather than the dropping of 54 lbs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I guess it depends on your goals though. I don't want to be skinny, I want to be fit. To be fit I need to exercise, and to exercise I need fuel. Part of what I have been learning by following this site, is that exercise is not for weight loss, it is for fitness and health.

I know a lot of people are very passionate about the carb issue and some have seen great results, but what works for me is a balanced diet, and I find that carbs are giving me fuel for my Power 90 MS exercises. I think part of the P90X eating plan focuses on the relationship between carbs and energy too, but I haven't seen it yet.

It just made me feel proud of myself though to know that I was pushing myself hard enough to burn all my available glycogen, but I don't want to lose my lean mass, so I'll keep nourishing myself enough to give me energy to work out.

I think going off of my BP and anxiety meds has more to do with my exercsing 5-6 days per week rather than the dropping of 54 lbs.

I use exercise for both weight loss and health, but agree COMPLETELY that health is the most important.