giving up

Options
Help! I'm ready to give up dieting. Life is too short to spend it in self-denial.
When I hit 180 lbs. three years ago, I started dieting and going to the YMCA regularly. Now I weigh 167, and I'm sick and tired of all the ups and downs. I'll never be skinny. I just want to be healthy. I'm 63, and I don't want to spend my last 20 years or so (if I'm lucky) denying myself the pleasure of food. My husband is diabetic, so we don't keep candy, pastries, or ice cream in the house. We both go to the Y every work day, but still our weight goes up a little, down a little, then back up again. I'm sick of it.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• Lynne
    Lynne Posts: 12
    Options
    Help! I'm ready to give up dieting. Life is too short to spend it in self-denial.
    When I hit 180 lbs. three years ago, I started dieting and going to the YMCA regularly. Now I weigh 167, and I'm sick and tired of all the ups and downs. I'll never be skinny. I just want to be healthy. I'm 63, and I don't want to spend my last 20 years or so (if I'm lucky) denying myself the pleasure of food. My husband is diabetic, so we don't keep candy, pastries, or ice cream in the house. We both go to the Y every work day, but still our weight goes up a little, down a little, then back up again. I'm sick of it.
    Any suggestions?
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    As my hubby always tells me, don't be so hard on yourself!

As long as you are eating right and staying active, you're doing great.
    And if you still want to lose weight, and you fall off the wagon, just get
    back on and keep going.

If you throw in the towel all together, you will most likely gain the weight back, so be careful
    and good luck with whatever you decide! Otherwise, we're here for you!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a ton of wisdom words for you but I don't. :flowerforyou:

All I can say is that you can have your cake and eat it too...just less cake. :wink:
    I think that as long as you are working out and making the best food choice most times, then you are already successful.

Stay strong! :flowerforyou:
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    hi lynne,

i understand your frustration:flowerforyou:

i think you said its best "i just want to be healthy"

i don't deny myself the foods i love, i just pay attention to the portions that i eat. i also log everything i eat, even if its just a couple of chips. i've found that logging all of my food makes me want to eat less of the bad stuff because i don't want to go over my calories!

as for exercise, i've found that i really enjoy dance, and it doesn't seem like work. its my hobby! try taking different classes at your y (if you haven't already), and you might find a class you love.

don't give up! think about all the healthy and happy decades you have ahead of you.

em:drinker:
  • faylou
    faylou Posts: 89
    Options
    Any suggestions?

I too had this similar feeling and realization over the past week and posted this morning check out ...

Fell off the logging wagon:(

My suggestion and is what I have decided to do , is feel happy with yourself, keep up the exercise because it does make you feel better inside and out, but stop the worrry, stop the constent battle in yourself, Im sure your husband loves you the way you are, concentrate on just living healthy, and just live to be happy!
  • utexashorns
    Options
    Let me just say I understand. I have been unable to make progress with my weight loss for the past couple of years and have ended up fatter!

I have had my blood checked and all the necessary tests and I am perfectly healthy- so why the struggle right? The doctor told me to lift weights and do far less cardio. We end up destroying lean muscle mass which in turn slows the metabolism. You will end up losing more weight much faster if you lift weights and do 20 to 30 min intervals every other day. Make sure you are getting in plenty of protein, it helps with blood sugar and of course hunger and metabolism.

I hope this helps I really do- hang in there!
  • jawalsh1
    jawalsh1 Posts: 24
    Options
    I would suggest checking out either of these books by Dr Joel Fuhrman: Eat to Live or Eat for Health. Dr Fuhrman recommends eating high nutrient foods, as opposed to processed foods that provide little nutritional value. It's remarkable what his eating plan has been able to do for people - not only will you lose weight, but the plan can reverse diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. It's not a "diet" because you can eat as much of the healthy foods as you want.