Has anyone else ever?

Options
Itched themselves so much that they bruise themselves? I have had two spots on my legs in the last couple months that have itched so much that I have actually bruised myself. Once they stop itching they remain bruised for a VERY long time. I think I read on MFP once that someone else posted that they itched when losing weight. Why does this happen, anyone know???

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i remember being itchy when i was gaining weight. Try moisturizing the spot.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. I've been using an AF cream on it.
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    While I was working out yesterday, my legs itched so badly I thought I'd have to get off the treadmill!
  • dansing83
    dansing83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and currently in peri-menopause (joy joy) one of the symptoms is intense itching. Which I am definitely experiencing. Not sure of how old you are though.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just googled it and apparently it's pretty common. I don't know what would cause it, but at least it's nothing to worry about.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

First off, stop that! lol

Secondly, YES! I was sooooooooooooooooooo itchy for a couple of months when I first started losing weight! Everyone here was like, "Oh McKay. Don't be weird. That has nothing to do with losing weight. Go see a dermatologist." But I was all, "No! You don't understand!!! It's UNDER the skin!" And they were all like, "Pshhhh, whatevz, yo."

BUT IT WAS RELATED TO WEIGHT LOSS!

::cries angrily::

...I'm okay.

And yeah...it will go away. Cross my heart and hope to die. Something about needles in eyeballs.

:drinker:
  • twinboyz4me
    Options
    YES!!!! Wow, this is timely. I couldn't believe it when I noticed it, I looked like a battered wife. This happened to me about 1 month ago, it was slightly itchy but nothing outrageous. But after a few days I noticed it in the mirror (on the backs of my legs so not a spot I normally would see) I was completely bruised. Then it happened on my arms and stomach. I was so concerned and tried to make an appt with a derm but for various reasons (hurricane, vacation, no appts available) I couldn't get it. On my beach vacation I had to wear long pants and sleeves it was so bad. :(

One thing - I'm a big fan of Advil and I think I may have been taking too much and it was causing my blood to thin, and therefore I was bruising much easier. I had to go to my orthopedist for an unrelated issue and I ran it by him (by now it was getting better so I wasn't as freaked out) and he said that was a valid theory, but to get to a derm ASAP if it happened again. And he told me to stay off the Advil. ;)

ETA - it's interesting that it may be related to weight loss, that never even crossed my mind!
  • allie_girl
    Options
    That's completley normal. I used to itch all the time when running especially when it was cold.

As you lower your body weight and get more muscular, the itching gets better. I remember when I was an obese child, running the mile in gym class, I could never stop itching my legs. Now, I can run a 5K without any itchy feelings at all. It will go away with time.
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The spots that I have are on the back of one of my calves...that one is done itching and the bruise has FINALLY gone away. Now I have a spot on the same leg but further up on the inside of my thigh. Just itched (and I mean tore the heck up with itching) it lastnight and it is bruised this morning. I did put some cream on it (of course after I had already done the damage). My husband thinks I am Crazy (with a capital c). I told him I am NOT the only one experiencing this, so now I have proof. Thanks for the posts my fellow MPF peeps.