Canadians! Are you afraid of this weekend (thanksgiving)? Ti

Options
I am away for university, so I will be spending thanksgiving with extended family instead of my immediate family. I don't feel as comfortable around them. How do I turn down the "unhealthy" (AKA calorie dense) dishes without offending them? Any tips are welcome!

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just have smaller portions. It's a holiday and you should enjoy it.
  • nicolenilsson
    nicolenilsson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As long as you have smaller portions and don't go overboard you should be good.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I just take a little bit of everything.

A bit more of whatever vegetables,

skip sauces or anything prepared crazy.

If it's plain-looking it's probly safe to eat.

If there's a variety of food, you'll be fine.

And I usually skip dessert.

If all else fails, lift your shirt and say 'i worked hard for this'!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Eat, enjoy (using common sense), keep working out, move on.

And be thankful for the bounty! :happy:
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    well, I can tell you I won't be turning down those dishes! lol....I'm going hard all week, and then working out ALOT this week and weekend. and will splurge a little on thanksgiving.

sorry...probably the answer you weren't looking for! lol...my bad.

:happy:
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    just try to be sensible. i am going to eat to my calorie limit instead of trying to be under. i will limit the number of appetizers i eat to just a couple of puffs, have my turkey dinner, and then be "so full that i couldn't possibly have dessert". my worry is the booze, everyone in my family likes a glass of wine or a couple of beers and it will be constantly offered to me all day. i'm driving is all i have come up with as a response.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Last Christmas I was on a very strict eating plan to lose my baby weight. We went to visit my in-laws. I told my husband to mention to them that I was very careful about my eating and that I might pass on a lot of choices that are offered and that they shouldnt be offended. They were really supportive and the fact they knew before I arrived helped! I still had a few things afterall it is a holiday, just dont go all out!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    samller portions. when the question "what, you don't want to eat more?" comes up (and it will) you just say, "i'm saving room because i want to try everything."
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments, but keep in mind, most people don't really care or watch what you're eating, if they make you nervous...they're probably too busy enjoying themselves.
  • vichick20
    vichick20 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your tips! I will definitely be using the "I'm driving" excuse to pass up on the booze. As for dessert, I find it really awkward when I am the only one turning down dessert. Everyone insists on asking why... why does it matter what I am eating/not eating?
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Try having a little of everything? A LITTLE, mind you. then you aren't heaps on the calories; and you aren't offending. I have two Thanksgiving dinners to attend this weekend. I planned my meals for next week out all ahead of time. I knew the basic things that would be served for the Thanksgiving meals, so I allowed for two higher calorie meals, and filled in the rest of the day around it so I wouldn't be over on my daily value by much, if any. (So far, I won't be over on any days if I burn a min. of 200 cals -EASY TO DO; I'll likely have a bit of a deficit!!) It's a little more work, but I know I won't over-buy produce and wind up wasting, and I know I can have my turkey, gravy and stuffing too!! :)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I feel it my duty to mind you, my dear Canadian friends, to remind you that there is something much more worrisome out there.

bieber_8-16.jpg
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I feel it my duty to mind you, my dear Canadian friends, to remind you that there is something much more worrisome out there.

bieber_8-16.jpg

We SAID we were sorry...
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I'm not spending TG with my family either, but with another family that I really don't know well. When I offered to make my awesome apple crisp as a thank you I was shocked to find out they dont like apples. DONT LIKE APPLES? WTH?

So, after that, I'm more than fine with telling them 'no thanks' lol
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your tips! I will definitely be using the "I'm driving" excuse to pass up on the booze. As for dessert, I find it really awkward when I am the only one turning down dessert. Everyone insists on asking why... why does it matter what I am eating/not eating?

just have a tiny dessert or say that you are too full from dinner for dessert.

you are looking pretty fit, so think you are prob okay to have a little. but hey...its your choice and they should respect it!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

bieber_8-16.jpg
    We SAID we were sorry...
    Not asking for apologies. Just reminding Canadians to be vigilant.

Don't fear turkey dinner. Fear the Beibs.
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

bieber_8-16.jpg
    We SAID we were sorry...
    Not asking for apologies. Just reminding Canadians to be vigilant.

Don't fear turkey dinner. Fear the Beibs.
    [/quote

Apologizing is our national pasttime ....
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just eat everything I want, then go for a couple 20 mile runs during the next week. But that's just me.
    "Smaller portions" is more sensible...