I don't get it

Options
I weigh myself in the AM and I am 237 pounds, At night before I go to bed I am 240. Get up in the AM and BAM back to 237.

What the heck is going on?

Replies

• psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Water weight/full stomach. Weigh once a week in the AM. Same day each week preferably same time.
  • mlbrox
    mlbrox Posts: 41
    Options
    its known and proven that we weigh more in the evening than in the morning. i am not sure of the scientific reason why. That is why they say to weigh yourself the same time everyday. =)
  • mpearson69
    mpearson69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay I'll stick with the morning weigh in then, and why only once a week?
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I can weigh upto 5lbs heavier before I go to bed. I wake up and its gone very weird x
  • sshap21712
    Options

You can fluctuate up to 3 pounds from day to day, depending on what you eat (water content / sodium / etc) and your metabolism rate. Weekly weigh ins give you a better picture of your weight progress
  • psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

The fluctuations throughout the week. People get discouraged when it looks like they gained 1lb. of scale weight. What they don't realize is it is not a lb of FAT.

Weighing in once a week will show your progress. Everyday weighing will get you discouraged and make sloppy choices. (Of course this varies person to person)
  • LuvnSnownSun
    Options
    Sodium, water weight, bodily waste... there are a huge number of reasons. If you have the need to weigh yourself daily, do it same time everyday. I weigh myself each morning after my shower standing nekkid as a jay bird on my Wii. I only log it once a week though for the same reasons as the dialy fluctuation. I find after the weekend I'm heavier, probably from sodium and water retention, then by Friday, after having a more regimented week, I am back on par with what is going on with my body. I weight daily though so i can look back at my habits from the previous day and be aware of how they are impacting me.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Do you sleep with the window open? It could be a bat feeding on your blood while you sleep.
  • mlbrox
    mlbrox Posts: 41
    Options
    You will weigh more at night than in the morning because in the morning, after you've gone to the bathroom, you will have very little undigested or digested food "waiting to leave your body." If one day you weigh yourself in the morning and the next day you check at night, it'll seem like you gained weight when you really haven't.

The time of day when your weight will be most accurate is in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom. If you have a scale at home, weigh yourself then.

http://straighthealth.com/pages/qna/whenweigh.html
  • KIWIFL
    KIWIFL Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that during the night, your body is still burning calories. During your day, you eat and add calories to your body. For that reason, you will always see more weight after you have gone through your day. You should just stick to your AM weigh-in. I weigh myself before I go to bed also, but that is just to see what my weight looks like after I work out, especially if I indulged myself a little more than I should have that day. Your body weight will always fluctuate within a range. As long as your weight returns to normal in the morning, you know that you haven't put any on. :flowerforyou:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Because it's a proven fact that trolls are heavier in the evening.....usually from hiding under the bridge and soaking in all that water before they pop up at unsuspecting innocent people.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    phaisephukenpalm
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

You can fluctuate up to 3 pounds from day to day, depending on what you eat (water content / sodium / etc) and your metabolism rate. Weekly weigh ins give you a better picture of your weight progress

I can fluctuate up to 10 lbs, lol. But it does depend on what you stated.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You have comsumed food and fluids throughout the day which will cause your weight to go up. It is always best to weigh yourself JUST ONCE a day in the morning, sans clothes and after you have used the restroom.
  • sugarnspicere
    sugarnspicere Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You should try to only weigh yourself once a week. This keeps you from having the emotional ups and downs of whatching the scale bounce around. Your body weight fluxuates though out the day and week. So weighing yourself once a week same day, same time, even same clothes(for instance if you weigh yourself in your underware always do it that way) you'll get the most accurate weight possible,.