Did Ya'll know smoking increases your metabolism....

Options
My nutritionist/hypnotist told me today to be sure that I get alot of water, all my supplements and 20-30 more mins of workout in a day, because now that I am not a smoker that I will possibly gain a bit of weight because my metabolism is one of a smoker and smoking increases your metabolism by 10%........that 10% is not worth smoking for, so gonna have to kick up the workouts so I don't gain the entire 19 pounds back now.......

Interesting stuff..........

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist/hypnotist told me today to be sure that I get alot of water, all my supplements and 20-30 more mins of workout in a day, because now that I am not a smoker that I will possibly gain a bit of weight because my metabolism is one of a smoker and smoking increases your metabolism by 10%........that 10% is not worth smoking for, so gonna have to kick up the workouts so I don't gain the entire 19 pounds back now.......

Interesting stuff..........
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Glad to know this i too as of today have laid the cigs down And i did notice i was looking for food. But thank goodness for jello and such. lol Thanks for sharing!
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yes...that is what happened to me. I quit 10 years ago and found 10-15lbs! I am losing it but I was always looking for something to do with my hands....I guess picking up food was the anwser :)
  • davschmidt
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    A lot of females smoke when feeling hungry to keep from eating, which also keeps their weight down (and lungs blackened).

Many females gain weight when they stop smoking because their new habit is eating.... Oral fixation replacement.
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting & thanks for sharing this!
    I am a smoker, but plan to make another quit attempt here soon. This will definitely help once I put them down.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I had a friend who used knitting as a way to keep her hands occupied when she quit smoking. It worked, and now we all have a lot of very nice scarves :laugh:
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!:bigsmile: You feel like a million bucks soon! It will be 4 years this april that I quit and I gained 8 lbs soon after.:smile:
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    Thanks Sassie for the info. I also am trying to quit. Making attempt 3 this month on Thursday. I wish you the best of luck quitting!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I had a friend who used knitting as a way to keep her hands occupied when she quit smoking. It worked, and now we all have a lot of very nice scarves :laugh:

I was just thinking how I need to re-learn to crochet. Would help me not to smoke.
    Nevermind, no it wouldn't.
    I smoke on the drive home, and I have one around 9pm after the kiddo is in bed.
    Okay, maybe it would help with the second cig.
  • sassiebritches
    Options

I was just thinking how I need to re-learn to crochet. Would help me not to smoke.

How the hell do you manage to smoke only 2 cigs......wow.....I personally did not smoke in the house. So what is hard for me is when the phone rings I used to like a smoke, now I just go outside and take a few deep breaths and stretch.....I still join my honey when he goes out...I just stay away from him.....how awful is that....I am 72 hours smoke free.....and the cravings are way way better then they were....now to get the food under control and the workouts up....and now that I am thinking about it, I think I am going to get my workout gear on and do a workout right now..............................................
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    All ya'll who wanna quit, you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I did you can.......although hypnosis helped :P

Yay for not smiking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

How the hell do you manage to smoke only 2 cigs......wow.....I personally did not smoke in the house. So what is hard for me is when the phone rings I used to like a smoke, now I just go outside and take a few deep breaths and stretch.....I still join my honey when he goes out...I just stay away from him.....how awful is that....I am 72 hours smoke free.....and the cravings are way way better then they were....now to get the food under control and the workouts up....and now that I am thinking about it, I think I am going to get my workout gear on and do a workout right now..............................................

I have the amazing ability to stop smoking whenever I want to. No lie. The problem is I never want to quit!! :laugh:

I quit the moment I found out I was pregnant. No problems. I mean, sure I craved them, but I just couldn't smoke while growing a baby. Wasn't for me.

I started back after she was born cause the hubby smoked. Finally made him quit with me a year ago, and then when he started back, I started back.... hence the 9pm smoke after she's in bed. The 5pm smoke on the drive home from work is one I added in myself and shouldn't have.

On the weekends, I do smoke more. Boredom, trying not to eat, stress, etc.

I don't smoke around my kiddo (who is 3.5 y/o) so it curbs my opportunity a lot.

I intend to quit smoking again, probably before year end. (I'm realistic in my goals, and will not set myself up for failure here).
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    All ya'll who wanna quit, you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I did you can.......although hypnosis helped :P

Smilking? Ah, you've started :drinker: instead?? :huh: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • sassiebritches
    Options

Smilking? Ah, you've started :drinker: instead?? :huh: :wink: :wink: :wink:

HAHAHAHAHA I didn't realize I wrote smiking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA....SMOKING....NO SMOKING........:drinker: