Thanksgiving

Options
kathas0trophal
kathas0trophal Posts: 118 Member
even though we are from Germany we do celebrate Thanksgiving. My husband live for a year in Indiana and I do like the idear of a family event like this. My quwstion is: Could you tellme a site where I can find traditional Thanksgiving recipes? Or do you have some recipes that are not so heavy?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked for Thanksgiving recipes but skinnytaste.com has really good recipes that I use a lot. Check there and see what she has. The turkey isn't bad, cranberry relish isn't bad it's all the carbs and pies that get you but it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them!
  • bluesstarz
    bluesstarz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Foodnetwork.com

They have some amazing recipes and you will find that a lot are fairly healthy. :flowerforyou:
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    Southern Living; will have traditional recipes; you can also check Cooking Light as well for lighter versions
  • tiggerzshorty
    Options
    I make Thanksgiving dinner for at least 7 ppl every year. I haven't even thought of making it "healthier" lol.
  • hazelmae123
    hazelmae123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Years ago when my kids were allergic to dairy I had to make mashed potatoes differently. So now I boil the potatoes as usual and mash them but instead of butter and milk. I add chicken broth, salt and pepper and garlic powder. They are delicious and no one misses the milk and butter. With Thanksgiving it is really less about the foods, as long as you watch the things like butter, but it is more about portion size. You can have everything, just keep the portions very small, especially if you are having lots of foods. The turkey we smoke, I make stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, spinach salad, and fresh fruit. We do have the traditional pie but it is only for a holiday, so I think it's a splurge. If you don't want to do cranberry sauce you can make cranberry jello and AFTER it is set beat it frothy with a beater for a cool sweet alternative.
  • kathas0trophal
    kathas0trophal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I make Thanksgiving dinner for at least 7 ppl every year. I haven't even thought of making it "healthier" lol.

7 ppl ? wow. I am so looking forward to this day. I love to cook the whole day to see my family sit at one table. I don't think that it will be just healthy. It is just about the feeling to try make a little bit healthier. It is like a thanks giving with moderation.

Thank you for the nice sites. I did not even know them.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I make mashed sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. I add some maple syrup and the juice of an orange plus some zest. I don't even add milk and just a little bit of smart balance spread. The orange compliments the sweet potato very well.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I love Thanksgiving food. I am pretty sure I am going to make a pumpkin pie sometime this fall. Regardless of the calories. I will simply have to take it to work and just eat one slice myself (well, and maybe keep another one for another day, ahem).