Avocado?

Options
So I have been having a serious avocado craving the last couple days. Unfortunately, other than cutting one open and eating it right out of the skin (which I'll probably end up doing anyways) I don't know how to incorporate it into a meal - any suggestions??? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat a few slices of avocado with my scrambled eggs each morning. It really feels me up & tastes yummy!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    smooshed up and spread on sandwich.
    pieces in salad
    guacamole
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We have ours either on a salad with tomatoes and mozarella, drizzled with balsamic vinegar, or made into guacamole or mashed up on granary toast with lemon juice and pepper on the top.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I add some to kale, onions and garlic and saute it a bit in olive oil. Or mix half an avocado with tuna to replace mayo.
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Add it to FF Ranch dressing. YUM !
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I put avacado on everything -salad, guacamole, burgers, dips - everything!!!
  • lbronson
    lbronson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Slice it in a salad/sandwich - make Guacamole -add lime juice and onion and add it to what ever !
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    My mom likes to dip them in yogurt. I like to take the whole avocado and put it in a salad with hummus dressing. I put it in black bean tacos. An English muffin with a thick slice of avocado, tomato, and a poached egg is also divine. In a sandwich too!

I now cannot wait for lunch.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Really good with black bean burgers!
  • cinch57
    Options
    Avocado is wonderful with chili/beans. You can also make a simple guacamole and bake some tortilla chips in the microwave. TASTY!
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    sliced on ryvita crackers with spicy salsa!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    You can put it in ANYTHING!

Breakfast: In an omelette with cheese, spinach, tomatoes and salsa!
    Green smoothie (Kale, avo, cuke slices, sunflower seeds, apple juice, magoes)

Lunch: Mash up and spread like mayo or hummus on bread, add cheese, turkey (or tofurkey) slices, spinach, tomato
    In a salad: slices of avocado fit everything! Use honey mustard dressing...it's amazing.

Dinner: Quesadilla with low carb wraps, cheese, spinach, green peppers, onions topped with guacamole (just avo, s&p, garlic, onion) and salsa!

MMM, I having one of these for dinner!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    eggs, sandwiches, burgers, salads- anything!- I love my avocados!
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Slice it up (Or mash and spread it) and put it on a sandwich, best with Turkey! I have even skipped the bread and wrapped turkey & cheese around a couple avocado slices.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    use it instead of mayo on burgers, guacamole, in salads, sprinkle with lemon and salt, side dish for a meal, etc.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I will cut one open and put it on a sandwich or a turkey burger or even a boca burger when I eat one of those. Good stuff!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i mush it up and put it on rice cakes, or crackers, or pitas lol I love it on sandwiches, burgers, tacos...you name it, I'll put avacado in everything
  • katetwolf
    katetwolf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always like it in a sandwich. So a grilled chicken sandwich with a little avocado, pepper and tomato is tasty and you don’t miss the mayo. If you smush it and add a little onion and garlic it become guacamole and you can spread it on the sandwich.
  • Esterlily
    Options
    I love avocados! Many, many salads can benefit in flavor, texture and visual appeal from the addition of avocado.

Sliced avocado can be added to sandwiches instead of mayonaisse.

Cubed avocado can be added to salads like the black bean/salsa salad. Black beans, corn, onions, salsa, garlic all thrown together in a bowl. Top it with avocado and it is even better!!

The usual ways of consuming avocado would be on tacos, or as guacamole. I make my gaucamole very simply. I add salsa, salt and garlic. Mashed up this can be used as a sandwich spread as well. It is wonderful on hamburgers!!

Another way to use it is in place of cheese.

The best way to keep an avocado from turning brown is to keep it with the pit. I cut mine in half, use what I plan to and store all the pieces in the same covered bowl. It doesn't turn and actually helps keep it fresh!

Hope you have fun with some of these ideas!!

Esterlily
  • debgcook
    Options
    Avocado is the best GOOD fats to have. I am not kidding. Even weight watchers recommend it.

My husband and I have it like once or twice a week. Most of the time we make Guac. But we don't add anything to it except:
    lemon juice per advocado - 1 tbspn (if very small then use 1 tspn)
    Mild salsa or what my husband does if he does not want too much of salsa, he will diced roman tomatoes up really small and put that in
    Garlic Salt - sprinkle in a little at a time. (Do taste alittle so you don't have too much)

You can use this with scramble eggs and put on top for flavor
    We have Taquittos, and I only give myself 5 or 6 piece and 1/2 cup of guac

My husband loves to make himself special burritos: Tortitas, eggs, salsa, cheese, and then spread guac on it and roll it. If no eggs, and we have chicken he will dice it and put that in there. Very healthy.

Hope this helps. I have a small book call: "Beyond Guacamole " 50 Fabulous California Avocado Recipes
    Our favorite is Avocado Scram.

Wanna be friends?