Anyone here eat all organic?

Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
I would love some tips on how you do it!!! I have to feed a family of 3, me, my hubby and daughter, the baby already eats organic. I know a lot about cooking and I have my own herb garden, so mostly just wondering if it can be done on a budget of $450 or so a month?

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    I'm working on this too and would love to hear some tips. I usually don't go full organic, as some items are the same as organic, but the label of organic simply makes them more expensive. One thing we do is once a week go to a local farmer's market and/or farm stand and get a bunch of fresh fruits and veggies. I'm going to stock up on them this month so I can freeze some to have over winter.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    I would love some tips on how you do it!!! I have to feed a family of 3, me, my hubby and daughter, the baby already eats organic. I know a lot about cooking and I have my own herb garden, so mostly just wondering if it can be done on a budget of $450 or so a month?

I don't think it's really necessary. I would worry more about eating local foods, preferably from ones where there is more consumer oversight and fewer degrees of separation between you and the food. "Organic" is little more than a marketing scam. It can be helpful if you evaluate organic foods critically, like anything else. But it can give you a false sense of security, while emptying your pocketbook if you mindlessly reach for anything plastered with that label.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Hi!
    My fiance and I do! We spend just about $400 on groceries a month, and this is how we do it:
    We buy
    -Meat
    -Produce
    -Milk
    At whole foods, because mostly everything there is organic so it isn't upcharged as much.
    At the regular grocery store we buy everything else- we just look at the label- WhWheat pasta, eggs, other staples we find are less expensive than at WF. Also- we grew some of our own veggies this year- TOMATOES are great to grow yourself because they are outrageously expensive organic but full of pesticides if you don't buy organic! Good luck!
  • My boyfriend and I really try to eat all organic. It's tough sometimes because it can be so expensive, but well worth it. We do our shopping at Whole Foods for the most part. There are a few things we can pick up at local markets and some of the other grocery stores around us.
    check your local famers markets too!
  • I don't eat ALL organic. Broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus are grown with negligible pesticides anyway, and I'll buy conventionally-grown hard-skinned fruits and veggies if their organic counterparts are not on sale. Things that I ALWAYS buy organic: berries, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, apricots/nectarines, lettuce/cabbage, apples/pears/plums. I stock up when organic canned tomatoes, beans, etc. go on sale. We don't eat much meat (2 out of the 4 of us are vegan), but I try to buy organic poultry and beef when it's on special and freeze what I don't use right away. I do buy organic soy and almond milks for the vegans, and if I can't get organic milk, I buy the rBst-free milk from Trader Joe's.

I spend way more than $450 a month on groceries, but we buy a lot of wine and stuff (convenience foods) that we probably shouldn't.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    I try to eat almost all organic if possible..and next step down would be non-certified organic, but still spray free (a lot of this is at farmer's markets). Its quite expensive to get certified, so some farmers are "spray-free" but not certified organic.

organic is costly but I think there is also a list of the "dirty dozen" which if you are going to eat organic...you SHOULD eat these ones.

-peppers
    -blueberries
    -nectarines
    -cherries
    -celery
    -potatoes
    -strawberries
    -peaches
    -spinach
    -kale
    -grapes
    -apples

You will find when you eat organic - the food goes bad much faster as well...which is probably the way food should be.

it's expensive but it is your health...and I am a big believer (after a 2 day seminar on cancer/food) in the summer.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    My boyfriend and I really try to eat all organic. It's tough sometimes because it can be so expensive, but well worth it. We do our shopping at Whole Foods for the most part. There are a few things we can pick up at local markets and some of the other grocery stores around us.
    check your local famers markets too!

Whole Foods has the most outrageous markup around. I don't think recommending that store is helpful to anyone asking for advice on how to stay on budget. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, that would be a much more cost effective option for organic products. Many grocery stores carry their own generic organic products now too, at a fraction of the cost of Whole Foods
  • [/quote]

I don't think it's really necessary. I would worry more about eating local foods, preferably from ones where there is more consumer oversight and fewer degrees of separation between you and the food. "Organic" is little more than a marketing scam. It can be helpful if you evaluate organic foods critically, like anything else. But it can give you a false sense of security, while emptying your pocketbook if you mindlessly reach for anything plastered with that label.
    [/quote]

I agree with this; organic doesn't necessarily mean healthier, and often isn't very good from an environmental standpoint. Much better to go to local farmers markets or farm shops; many of them will be able to tell you exactly where your stuff is coming from.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Find as much local organics or uncertified organics from local farms. The USDA certified seal costs little farms too much money to become officially certified. Farmers markets while they are still around help our grocery bill.
    Join a food co-op if you have on in the area. We belong to a co-op and we get discounts off our grocery bill.
    We are vegetarian and we eat pretty cheap since we don't have to buy meat.
    For a family of 4 we usually spend $400 a month. Buy in bulk, too. Like beans, flours and nuts.

Next season plan your own garden :) That helps a bunch!

I shop at 3 different stores, our food co-op, Trader Joes and Whole Foods. They are all within a mile of each other.

I don't think Whole Foods is crazy expensive, but I also don't do all my shopping there. Their produce is usually reasonable. But their frozen foods are really pricy. I stay out of there.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member

Stick to the list of buying the "dirty dozen" organic fruits and vegetables. That is the list of produce that is most likely to be contaminated with pesticides and such..........

Anything that has a thick skin like citrus fruits, bananas, pineapple, etc you can buy conventional.

Also, search out local farm sources for grass fed beef, raw dairy, free range pork and chicken along with eggs.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    I agree with lots of other posters that are advocating things like the "dirty dozen" list. I find that very helpful, although I've heard that there are pesticides used in organic farming, and they aren't necessarily better for you. The point is, you probably won't know WHAT they're using if you're buying from a huge chain like Whole Foods. That's why local farms tend to be a better source.

Here's some info from UC Berkeley

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/organictext.html

Also, Whole Foods buys from local distributors at a markup. Back in Boston, we found out that Whole Foods was buying their stuff from A Russo & Sons, then just marking it up for retail. Well, instead, we just started shopping at Russo's (which is fantastic, FYI). So, since this is their MO, you might be able to find a similar setup near you.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Fact: about half of synthetic pesticides are carcinogenic.

Fact: about half of the pesticides used in "organic" farming...are carcinogenic

The take-away point? WASH your produce. Thoroughly. And don't buy the hype.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    I buy organic processed food, (canned food, frozen food, bulk food) just so I know what's in it, and what's NOT in it. It also means the food doesn't have a bunch of food enhancers and the ingredient list is understandable. I try to buy in bulk and freeze what I can't use immediately. I also buy organic dairy products and eggs. Keep in mind, free range does not mean organic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-range_eggs.

I selectively choose organic produce. Anything thin skinned, or that I eat the skins, I pick organic. Berries, potatoes, apples, greens. If I remove the skin before eating, I'll decide based on price and the condition of the produce. Sometimes organic is actually cheaper.

During summer months, I sometimes purchase a subscription from a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) I can't grow a successful garden in my yard, so a CSA is a good alternative for me. I like to think of it as a vegetable of the week club. Check out http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/csa/csa.shtml to find a CSA close to you.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    I buy organic processed food, (canned food, frozen food, bulk food) just so I know what's in it, and what's NOT in it. It also means the food doesn't have a bunch of food enhancers and the ingredient list is understandable.

That is NOT what it means. Did you know that it's completely acceptable to include MSG in a food product that is organic? MSG is described in a vast number of ways, and can also be hidden in products that do not have FDA requirements to list individual amino acids. Protein powders are one of the worst culprits, btw.

I use MSG as one example, but there are many many others.

Otherwise, your suggestions are great, and it sounds like you're doing great things.
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 130 Member
    I love eating organic and local foods, so here's my take on organics.

1) It's not necessary to eat entirely organic. People are right, it increases the price of most foods. And the official USDA labels on the produce is just a marketing gimmick. EAT LOCAL, BUY LOCAL!!! Hit up your farmers markets -- they have the best foods around!

2) Keep in mind that even at Whole Foods (which I LOVE), they have organic produce there that is not seasonal. If you want to get really organic, go local and eat IN SEASON. The reasons fruits and veggies are "in season" all year is because of pesticides and chemicals used to ripen the product during transport.

3) As a simple rule of thumb, I eat organic foods that do not have a thick skin. For instance, I do not eat organic oranges, grapefruits, coconuts, bananas, etc. If the fruit has a thin skin and I **eat** the skin, I go organic.

4) I eat organic, grass fed beef, and organic chicken. Keep in mind, its a lot more expensive, BUT better for you.

If you want an eye-opening experience, please watch Food, Inc. It's a documentary that focuses on the way our foods are processed and reach our market shelves. It's available on Netflix (instant view, too!). So please, please, please watch it. I have never looked at foods the same way.

I have a pretty tight budget, but I find spending the money on foods that are GOOD for you are worth it. My boyfriend and I spend approx 300 a month on food. About 2/3 of that is spent on organic foods (strictly because we eat a lot of chicken and I juice almost every day).

Happy eating!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Just a little about me, FYI

I designed a toxicology database for the Materials Discovery and Characterization group at Vertex pharmaceuticals back in 2007. I'm also heavily involved in FDA compliance on the pharma side. If you have questions about a) evaluating scientific studies and articles b) FDA regulations and label interpretation, or c) toxicology ...I'd be more than happy to help with that.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    I try to eat almost all organic if possible..and next step down would be non-certified organic, but still spray free (a lot of this is at farmer's markets). Its quite expensive to get certified, so some farmers are "spray-free" but not certified organic.

organic is costly but I think there is also a list of the "dirty dozen" which if you are going to eat organic...you SHOULD eat these ones.

-peppers
    -blueberries
    -nectarines
    -cherries
    -celery
    -potatoes
    -strawberries
    -peaches
    -spinach
    -kale
    -grapes
    -apples

You will find when you eat organic - the food goes bad much faster as well...which is probably the way food should be.

it's expensive but it is your health...and I am a big believer (after a 2 day seminar on cancer/food) in the summer.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    bump for later ;)
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member

Not in the bloody U.K it cant be done for that amount of money............Organic food is expensive here lol