More calories now that I've worked out?

Options
I'm confused. This morning I was allowed 1200 calories for the day. I ate breakfast and lunch then hit the gym. Now it's:
1354 CALORIES REMAINING
Goal Food Exercise = Net
1200 386 - 540 -154

Can someone explain how the calorie counter works & how I know have more than what I was allowed to begin with? Wouldn't this cause me to NOT lose weight? :noway: I'm nuts!!!!!!!!

Replies

• ianwalker1969
    Options
    The calorie allowance is set as if you didn't do any exercise. By working out, you are effectively buying yourself some more calories to eat whilst still meeting the deficit needed to hit your target.
  • NicoleMensigg
    NicoleMensigg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So, if I don't work out and eat the amt given to me-then I still lose weight and if I do workout I get more calories because I've lost more calories????
  • ianwalker1969
    Options
    Yep, that's your reward :)

It's up to you whether you eat all of your workout calories, but you should eat some of them so as not to have your net intake too low.
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Its like the 1200 is how much you have in the bank, you spent 386 when you ate, but when you worked out you earned 540. So 1200 in the bank -386 = 814. 814 in the bank + the 540 you earned at the gym = 1354 in the bank.

The -154 is the "Net Calories" youve had today, because you've worked off more than you've eaten. That's why you're still allowed to eat 1354 calories today =]

Good job at the gym =]
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    So, if I don't work out and eat the amt given to me-then I still lose weight and if I do workout I get more calories because I've lost more calories????

They are needed for recovery, so you that you lose more fat than muscle.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You got it. MFP sets a calorie count that will give you a deficit to match your weight loss goal.
    7000 calories a week is = to 2 lbs. That is 1000 calories a day you have to cut back.
    If you hit the gym and burn 500, your deficit is now 1500 calories for that day, so you have 500 calories you can eat back and still have the 1000 calories towards your weight loss goal.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calories your stated is how much you should intake to lose the amount of weight you have set, if you only did regular everyday activities.

When you workout/exercise, you burn more calories in that time than you would if you were to not workout.

The calorie counter takes this into account and adds the amount you burned to your daily limit. Thus, you have your regular number of calories, plus the extra calories burned from doing extra exercises.

Now, to keep the steady weight loss going, you actually need to eat more to make up for the calories burned (this is a good thing!).
  • NicoleMensigg
    NicoleMensigg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! I love the bank analogy...since I'm in finance it was understandable...guess I get to go look in the pantry and see what I get to spend it on!!! Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream & Whip Cream here I come!!!!
  • alwayzevolving
    alwayzevolving Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nikki, I had this same confusion a few weeks ago, and I have since learned that when you work out you create a calorie deficit, and this will allow you to still lose weight. You have more to work with & that's a good thing You can eat right at your calorie goal or you can eat the supply. I try not to eat my supply though unless I am really hungry. Click on this link before as it was MOST helpful in helping me understand it all.

http://www.caloriecount.about.com/calorie-deficit-weight-loss-ft51764