when buying a new house

Options
momof8munchkins
momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
Would you want a large country kitchen or 2 galley style kitchens in the same house??? My husband and I are looking for a new home.. seen several homes (online) with 2 kitchens- which is very appealing when you have a large family..2 stoves, 2 fridges, lots of counter space and cabinets.. but I wonder if would be inconvenient to have pans, spices and supplies divided amoung two spaces.. what do think?

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    One large kitchen
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    1 large kitchen with a double stove... if I was making a big meal for a holiday I would only want to attend to 1 kitchen and only want to clean 1 kitchen
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    A really large kitchen with room for 2 refrigerators
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the country kitchen where I can have my ONE item where I spent for quality that will still be around to be passed on to the kids if not the grand-kids... I'm a fan of cast iron cookware, properly seasoned it's more non-stick than any teflon pan.
  • illy823
    illy823 Posts: 63
    Options
    Wow.. I would love to have a HUGE kitchen... It's better than having to divide everything... But down here, they are all small.. Unless you live in a multi-million dollar house...
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Unless you have sister wives, I would choose one big kitchen.
  • illy823
    illy823 Posts: 63
    Options

HAHAHA.... OMG!!! so true...
  • xinahay123
    Options

TeeHeee...and I agree!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Yup. I also vote for one large. Unless you want to buy two of everything or have to run back and forth between kitchens, which kinda defeats the purpose. lol

Eventually the kids will take over the secondary kitchen and you'll be cursing yourself between a pile of month-old moldy dishes and a mountain of floor crumbs. XD
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    1 large kitchen with a double stove... if I was making a big meal for a holiday I would only want to attend to 1 kitchen and only want to clean 1 kitchen

This... and an extra fridge and a full size freezer in the basement/garage.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I bought our house last year. The kitchen was very important for me considering I love to cook. I have a decent sized galley kitchen with a lot of cabinet space as well as plenty of counter space. I actually have more cabinet space than I needed as my highest shelves are empty or only have 1-2 items on them. In my experience with house hunting, all the houses (at least in my area) that had 2 kitchens meant the 2nd kitchen was in an apartment that was connected to the house. I understand the benefits of having an apartment in the house such as extra income to help with the mortgage. But that would mean having someone living in my house, not exactly something I wanted. But everyone is different.

It really depends on what you are looking for and what fits your needs. In my opinion,1 large kitchen is the way to go.

Lots of luck with your house hunt. I can imagine how excited you must be! :flowerforyou:
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    usually a house with 2 kitchens is meant to be for 2 familys but we would use it as a single family home.. I like the thought of 2 kitchens simply because one day I hope to have my own GF bakery buisness.. a seperate kitchen would be essential when making GF products to sell.. that way I could make sure there is no possiblity of cross contamination since my husband is not gluten free.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    usually a house with 2 kitchens is meant to be for 2 familys but we would use it as a single family home.. I like the thought of 2 kitchens simply because one day I hope to have my own GF bakery buisness.. a seperate kitchen would be essential when making GF products to sell.. that way I could make sure there is no possiblity of cross contamination since my husband is not gluten free.

I'm not sure where you live, but if this is your intent... please make sure you check out your city/county health code first. In some areas this is OK as long as they are 2 separate kitchens... in some areas it's not ok at all. I owned a regular bakery in another state and there were very strict rules on any "home based" food business in regards to build out, appliances, equipment, etc. I ended up leasing a commercial space, it was easier. :ohwell:
  • Hattie2879
    Options
    I agree with those that said one large kitchen. You can have a spare fridge/freezer in the garage or basement.