Tired After Working Out... Why?

Options
Hey MFPals! So I've been going to the gym more lately (zumba has finally gotten me off my behind), and I've been really enjoying my workouts. But I have this "problem" where, instead of being energized after a workout, I'll get maybe 5-10 minutes of energy, and then just get tired.

My friend suggested that maybe I'm not drinking enough water while I work out and that that could be making my body tired. Does anyone know if this would actually affect it? Or is there something else maybe that I should be doing?

Replies

• angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I get tired too. I'm drinking a bottle of water for each half hour I work out. I just thought it was because I'm exerting energy and my body is complaining. I'd be curious to see what others say.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? When I started I found I had this problem, but have since bumped up my protein and have noticed a huge improvement - even if its just a protein shake after my work out.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Ummmm ya, you worked hard? Hahaha typically I feel energised for a little longer than 5-10 but I do come down from that. If it's really dragging you down you could try having a recovery drink after. 4:1 carb:protein ratio works best (chocolate milk is awesome!) should help.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You use energy to work out. What makes you believe using energy is going to give you energy? Energy is derived from fuels stored in the body. You obtain those fuels through nutrition. When you use up your energy fuels, what else are you going to feel besides some fatigue???

This is the same question: Why am I so thirsty after being dehydrated?
  • yvonmac
    yvonmac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have always had the same trouble and the doctor told me to eat more protein. She also checked my blood sugar and I am on the low end of normal. I switched my exercise routines, per her advice, to evenings so I can shower, rest, and then go to bed. I feel refreshed and energized the next morning--like a delayed reaction. If I change things up and exercise in the morning, I feel tired and drag all day and want to EAT. So I work on my schedule to exercise in the evenings. That is my story, anyway. Good luck!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    maybe you're just tired because you worked out hard. Sometimes it is the simplest answer.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I thought being tired after a workout was normal! Personally, I feel like if I'm not exhausted after a workout, then I didn't push myself hard enough.

So... I googled it, and here is something I found that may help!! :smile:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/282831-how-do-i-overcome-tiredness-from-workouts/
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? When I started I found I had this problem, but have since bumped up my protein and have noticed a huge improvement - even if its just a protein shake after my work out.

Milk...Protein does a body good!

A good workout, however, will and should kick your butt!!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of a workout to leave tired... I do not consider it a good workout unless I do.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    For me it's usually because I didn't fuel up well enough before... make sure you've eaten at least what you're going to burn before you work out - and not RIGHT before, maybe 45 minutes-1 hour beforehand. This will give you enough energy to get through the workout. Also, quality matters. Don't eat doritos and soda before you workout. Eat a healthy carb, a good size portion of protein and some fiber.
  • IHaveATail
    Options
    I had the SAME problem. I have two kids and work out for 45-min to an hour a day HARD. A protein shake is a good idea. I use the brand "Pure Protein" I get it from target. Its low in sugar and carbs and I have one or two every day and my energy has increased significantly. I am also sleeping better. I've also started eating a lot more raw fruits and veggies. So I think It has a ton to do with my diet, not just my calories. Good luck!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    maybe you're just tired because you worked out hard. Sometimes it is the simplest answer.

Agreed
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I don't always feel particularly energized right after my work out -- but I have a lot more energy in general. If you're doing Zumba, you're burning a lot of calories and you may not be eating enough..... Eat lots of protein, and drink lots of water. Do you have a recovery snack after your work out? If not, you need to. As a general rule, you should have a 200-300 calorie or so snack after a workout - moderate in carbs, high in protein. You should drink 15oz of water for every 15 minutes of working out. You may also want to try incorporating a sports drink to replenish your electrolytes - water can't do this alone. PowerAde Zero is 0 Calories so it's a good option, and the flavors are pretty good - you could drink this in place of water after your work out.

good luck!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I get tired too, on the rare occasion of me working out....but, I'm a fat people and I don't do it consistantly, so I think my body is like "Whoa, what the hell is going on?"
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    tried after heck i am still tried. lol..
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Jennolli
    Jennolli Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain by Advocare has over a 6:1 protein carb ratio. with 25 proteins and only 4 carbs per serving. they have also been tested to not have banned substances in them, plus they taste good :)
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am usually exhausted after i work out. If I am not, then I didn't work hard enough. But it could also be a sleep thing.But wouldn't you get tired during if that was the case? Well, I would go with the protein.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    My trainer says you know it's a good workout when you want to take a nap about an hour later.

Also, you wont feel the energy directly after you workout, and not immediately when you start finally hitting it.

It takes 2-3 weeks for your body to adjust to the new routine and not be tired all the time.
    Then you'll start noticing you have more energy throughout the day.
    THEN you'll start craving/needing exercise to function properly :)

You're doing great!
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    How long have you been going to Zumba regularly? Your body will get tired when you start intense exercise if you're not used to it. I had that problem where I was just exhausted everyday for the first few weeks. Eventually, your metabolism catches up and you get used to moving. Get enough sleep, drink enough water, grin and bear it- it'll go away :)