FIRST 10 LBS .. IS IT TRUE

Options
IS IT TRUE THE FIRST 10 LBS IS AN EASY LOSS SINCE IT IS WATER WEIGHT?? SOMEONE TOLDME THIS AND NOW I FEEL SOMEWHAT DISCOURAGED !!!

Replies

• LadyG33
    LadyG33 Posts: 46
    Options
    Not true! I can attest to that.
  • sarahindevon
    Options
    Any weight loss is encouraging. We all know that drinking plenty of water is good for us so even if it is water we lose we will replace it by drinking more of it and yet the weight still stays off! I do know I'm peeing for England at the moment!! Good luck. :drinker:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much water you're retaining when you start. Don't let that discourage you - it means your body is recognizing the healthier patterns and shedding the water is a good thing. Let it be a motivator!
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The first few pounds come off easier *usually*. But that doesn't mean it's just "water weight". Yes, it's probably your body flushing out sodium & such because you are drinking more water. But don't get discouraged!! You've gotta lose those first 10 lbs in order to lose the next 10, and the next, and the next!
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10lb and I can honestly say I didn't find any of them were easy! :ohwell:
  • lefleri
    lefleri Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not entirely true. 10lbs is still an accomplishment in my opinion, you just have to gauge and figure out how much water weight you typically hold so it doesn't get you down when that scale shoots back up.

On my off days I can gain up to 4-6 lbs in water weight; I have to keep reminding myself that so I don't get depressed. On my training days, it's always nice to see it drop down again though :smile:

Just keep the momentum up!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you dropped it in like three days, yeah, that's probably water weight. But don't be discouraged; it's simply the beginning to something wonderful. :flowerforyou:
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I despise the 'water weight' argument.

Yes, we retain water and the scale goes up. We drink plenty of water and it might go down.

A pound of feathers weighs as much as a pound of bricks as a pound of water weighs as much as a pound of fat.

A pound is a pound to me.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I dont let others discourge you they are a tad bit jelous and also take measurements I have lost 13 pounds so far and 2 inches off my waist You cant tell me that was just water because as you lose more weight they will find some thing slightly negative to say about that I have hard time finding supporative people in the real world so I just stick to my mfp buddies when i hit mile stones the others will see the differance in due time
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I despise the 'water weight' argument.

Yes, we retain water and the scale goes up. We drink plenty of water and it might go down.

A pound of feathers weighs as much as a pound of bricks as a pound of water weighs as much as a pound of fat.

A pound is a pound to me.
    OP may be worried that the weight loss may slow down after the first 10 pounds, because it's a different kind of weight we're losing.

For me, not all pounds are equal. I don't want to lose a single pound of muscle!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    My first 10lbs wasn't easy it took 4 months for me to get my first 9lb off! then lost 5 lb in one week!
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    It's not entirely true. I think it depends on the diet you're doing. I just lost over 10 lbs and I know it's not water weight since it took me almost a year to achieve.
  • midnightbirch
    midnightbirch Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would take it and run if it was easy! I am losing weight slowly and steadily and it is the right way, first ten pounds (or more) could be toxins, excessisive water etc.
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You should try taking measurements and go based off of that for the first couple of weeks :) Ever tried to bowl with a 10 pound ball? It's pretty heavy, that's a lot of weight so be proud!!! :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    IS IT TRUE THE FIRST 10 LBS IS AN EASY LOSS SINCE IT IS WATER WEIGHT?? SOMEONE TOLDME THIS AND NOW I FEEL SOMEWHAT DISCOURAGED !!!
    Yes and no.

"water weight" is a misnomer.

Losing the first "few" pounds for morbidly obese people (like you and me) is, generally speaking, easy. I dropped weight like a stone — I lost five pounds in the first three days, and 10 pounds in the first 10 days.

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

When fat cells are consumed for energy, one of the by products is water. So, yes it's "water weight" because you're losing a tremendous amount of water but it's not "water weight" in the sense of the body achieving "homeostasis" (a very important concept) which is why we retain water when we ingest a lot of salt and then lose weight as salt and water are excreted.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I know how you felt. When I felt so excited and told people I was losing weight. The first thing they told me was the water weight. I got so discouraged and even angry. :( Then I took out tape measure, and proved them wrong. :)
  • stardozer
    stardozer Posts: 180
    Options
    It took me a month and 7 days to get 10 llbs off.
  • Just_Bethy
    Options
    The bigger you are the faster and easier the first 10lbs....I lost 11lbs first month no problem...then 10 then 7 etc...it is getting harder and taking longer...but DO NOT give up!!! IT WILL COME OFF!!!! The hardest pounds are the ones you don't try to lose!!!! Keep going!! I set a goal of 20lbs in 2 months and made it....I am looking at 4 months for my next 20lbs...because I know it will take a lot longer!!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You can work it out for yourself largely.

It takes a calorie deficit of 3, 500 to lose 1lb of fat.

If you've been a few hundred calories under, and done a bit of exercise, and you find you've lost 10lb in 2 weeks, chances are you didn't lose 10lb of fat, as you didnt make a 35,000 calorie deficit in that time.

It may be depressing, but it works the other way too. If you suddenly find you've gained 2lb in 2 days, think did you eat a calorie surplus of 7,000 in 2 days? No? Then its just a bit of water retention, not added fat.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen it is true from some people who make a drastic change in lifestyle/diet, but it took me a year to lose 35 pounds and it was a fight the whole way! I think it really depends on how big you are to start.