Jillian Michaels Whey Protein

Options
I usually use Biochem Vanilla Whey Protein Powder which I love and order for a great price from Vitacost. I have been out for a few days and saw Jillian's Whey Protein at Sam's club today. I decided to pick it up. She touts using "all natural ingredients" in her Master Your Metabolism book so I'm trusting it has good stuff in it. I normally would do more research but I took my chances. I'm sure the makers of her products rely on people like me to boost their sales. This is what happens when I don't plan ahead. Anyone ever use the stuff or have any opinions about the quality?

Replies

• dscott2012
    Options
    I love it. I use it everyday to recover after I workout.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have used her brand before. It's not bad. Lower in calories that some others are. Taste is ok. I have mixed it in with skim milk, or almond milk, or just plain old water.
  • MDfour
    MDfour Posts: 20
    Options
    I thought her chocolate protein was gross, personally. Also I think there are protein powders out there with more grams of protein for your calorie buck.

For example, the trueprotein gemma pea powder I use right now (it's not that tasty, the pea adds a weird nuttyness, but it works for flavors like banana coconut.) has 25g of protein at 104 calories. If I remember correctly, the JM whey has both less protein and more calories, but I could be mistaken.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I thought her chocolate protein was gross, personally. Also I think there are protein powders out there with more grams of protein for your calorie buck.

For example, the trueprotein gemma pea powder I use right now (it's not that tasty, the pea adds a weird nuttyness, but it works for flavors like banana coconut.) has 25g of protein at 104 calories. If I remember correctly, the JM whey has both less protein and more calories, but I could be mistaken.
    Yeah, I thought the vanilla was better.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I used it, it was decent. It has a little chalky taste to it. My issue came down to the protein - there's 15g in 1 scoop for 100 cals. Sounds okay.. but I found other shakes that taste much better with compareable macronutrients except 25g of protein per scoop with only 140 calories.

I love JM, but I probably won't buy her protein powder again.

edit: I've only tried the vanilla.
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had it, thought it was gross also.
  • delainedecker
    delainedecker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have used it, but I am not crazy about the taste. It is a whey isolate I believe, and as I understand it, that is the cleanest/best type of protein. I only tried the chocolate, I think they have vanilla as well. I just didn't think it had great flavor. Also a little lower in protein amount than some that I would normally get. But, it's convenient as it is available at Walmart and Sams. So in a pinch, I think it's a good choice.
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do see that it doesn't pack as much of a protein punch for the calories as my usual brand but I'm going to give it a go. I bought the vanilla. I just put a little in my yogurt & berry smoothie earlier and I liked the taste so that's a plus.
  • amhostetler
    amhostetler Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find the chocolate is tolerable when you make it really cold using ice. That's just me though. :)