What to eat and how early before a workout?

Options
Hi...just curious what works for everyone? I just got back into the exercise routine and I'm only doing 30 minutes on an eliptical trainer and anywhere from 20-30 walking 3.5 mph on a treadmill with strength training thrown in there and by the time I'm done I'm feel weak. I generally have either a banana or almonds about 20 minutes before my workout. Thanks!

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Last night before my ZUmba class, I had some Quaker Oatmeal ( less sugar kind) and found I wasn't hungry at all after the workout which was 1 hr 3 min and when I got home I went on the elliptical for an adddtional 20 minute interval training session!! My new "dinner, about an hour - 45 minutes before a workout, is Oatmeal. Wasn't starving when I woke up either!!!!
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
  • mysticalboe
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give it a try!
  • delainedecker
    delainedecker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Typically for me a protein shake pre-workout... post-workout is usually Shakeology and maybe a half a banana. That is good for recovery.

If you don't have those, I have read that chocolate milk offers the perfect nutitional balance for post workout recovery. So maybe something to research and explore.

Make sure you are well hydrated, I find that if I am not hydrated well prior to workout I lose energy pretty quickly.
  • mysticalboe
    Options
    Typically for me a protein shake pre-workout... post-workout is usually Shakeology and maybe a half a banana. That is good for recovery.

If you don't have those, I have read that chocolate milk offers the perfect nutitional balance for post workout recovery. So maybe something to research and explore.

Make sure you are well hydrated, I find that if I am not hydrated well prior to workout I lose energy pretty quickly.

Thanks! I will do that.
  • cycle_babe
    cycle_babe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i would recommend 1/2 serving of oatmeal prior to your workout and protein (shake, string cheese, etc) post workout.
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options

Shakeology is good for after a workout if you don't workout right before bed,
    But it is awesome about one hour before your workout, because it will give you the nutrients and energy to go trough the workout
    and finish it with even more energy. The best
    Plus will be the healthiest meal of your day. I love it!!!!
  • mysticalboe
    Options

Shakeology is good for after a workout if you don't workout right before bed,
    But it is awesome about one hour before your workout, because it will give you the nutrients and energy to go trough the workout
    and finish it with even more energy. The best
    Plus will be the healthiest meal of your day. I love it!!!!

I've never had shakeology. Can you buy it in the store?
  • mysticalboe
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!! They worked great duing my workout!:smile: