Age and weight!

Options
I know that I saw an article posted here somewhere about how we shouldn't strive to get back to our high school weight! Our ideal weight is different as we age. Does anyone remember that one?

Replies

• cmpace
    cmpace Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's interesting! I'd like to see the posts on this. I feel like there is NO way I would ever get to that weight again!
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I'm in better shape now than I was in high school.
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oh geeze I was 110 in high school.. there is no way!! :(
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Im in better shape than I was in highschool too and weigh less now.
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ;
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the article, but I'm 39 and can fit into some of my high school clothes, but weigh around 20 pounds more now. Yay for muscle! In fact, I think my lean body mass is almost higher now than my whole body weight was in high school!
  • cheri868
    Options
    My doctor told me the same thing, but I refuse to believe him LOL. I weighed 104lbs in my 20s and I now weigh 123. When I told him that I wanted to get back down to 104 he asked me if I was crazy LOL.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Im in better shape than I was in highschool too and weigh less now.

I'm in better shape than I was in highschool but I weigh more now. :-)

HS - 165lbs
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I weigh less now than I did at prom. And I lost weight for prom !
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i DO NOT want to get back to my high school weight. I want to get MUCH LOWER than my high school weight.
    i was like 185 in highschool, exept briefly i was 125 beteween doing a good diet and discovering 'partying'
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    I found several references, including this one:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/276008-ideal-weight-by-age-gender/

that say that, after puberty, your ideal weight does not change with age. Sorry! :-(
  • franciscoj1
    Options
    I was at the highest weight I've ever been (not counting pregnancy) when I was in HS. No thanks!
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I remember weighing about 150 in high school. My weight before I started MFP was 205.5
    I am right now at 167.5 with a goal of getting under 160 pounds.
    Getting back to my HS weight I think its a little hard, not to mention crazy.
    Our Basal Metabolic Rate is reduced as we age as well as our metabolism.

Have a good day everyone.
    Add me as your friend to keep talking!

-AJ-
  • Leobaby
    Leobaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was 110lb for most of HS and Uni, when I graduated I was probably 125... It was when I started working at an office I gained weight bit by bit (or bite by bite?). I was 140lb pre-pregnancy and now, my girl almost 2years old, I'm at 159 (just lost 1 pound since last week!).

My goal is 120, I know I can do it, I used to be very fit, I don't want to be so self conscious for the rest of my life...

Just 59 pounds and I'm there!!! hehehe
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    Well im 17 and in school and I can tell you I cant weight to weigh 20/25lbs lighter than I do now!!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I only weighed 98 pounds when I was in high school, so I don't think I'll be striving for that weight, but I think a lot of people out there think that they should be striving for that weight when they were about 17/18 and their bodies probably weren't fully mature yet!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I too weigh less now than I did in HS. And, I'm much healthier and happier, have much more self esteem. Probably because I don't have those mean bullying kids around anymore!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Good for you but you are 27 and the OP is older than you. You haven't gone thru menopause already.

If we have the desire to lose weight, we will find the way and motivation to do it.

I was very skinny in HS and until I had my kids, and, for the most part, I managed to keep much of my weight under control all of these years, and after losing 15 lbs I am now about 5 lbs more than when I got married. However, my shape is different after having children and going to the "change," and that is something that I cannot control much or reverse.

I keep trying, with daily workouts and healthy and control eating. But you can't fool Mother Nature or undo the passing of time.

I guess that we have to accept and cherish our older bodies and work and aim for a healthy weight and life style.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Good for you but you are 27 and the OP is older than you. You haven't gone thru menopause already.

If we have the desire to lose weight, we will find the way and motivation to do it.

I was very skinny in HS and until I had my kids, and, for the most part, I managed to keep much of my weight under control all of these years, and after losing 15 lbs I am now about 5 lbs more than when I got married. However, my shape is different after having children and going to the "change," and that is something that I cannot control much or reverse.

I keep trying, with daily workouts and healthy and control eating. But you can't fool Mother Nature or undo the passing of time.

I guess that we have to accept and cherish our older bodies and work and aim for a healthy weight and life style.
    Nicely said! :-)
  • dchris99
    dchris99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I weight less now than I did in high school, though I played sports year round I was always a big girl.