Not losing weight

Options
I am Starting to think my body wont lose weight, I have followed a strict diet and daily exercise routine and I have lost nothing, No weight, No inches, Nothing. I get as much sleep as I can with a 4 month old, I drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. And there seems to be nothing helping! Any advice as to what I can do? I am willing to try just about anything!

Replies

• jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My only advise is...patience you just had a baby!!! Keep up the good work and it will catch up!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    since your diary isn't public, its hard to tell if you aren't eating enough, perhaps eating too many grains/sugars, etc.

anyway, I recommend that you try some sprint interval HIIT 3x a week and see if that makes a difference.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    How long has it been? How many calories are you consuming per day?
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    since your diary isn't public, its hard to tell if you aren't eating enough, perhaps eating too many grains/sugars, etc.

anyway, I recommend that you try some sprint interval HIIT 3x a week and see if that makes a difference.

HIIT is definitely not appropriate for beginners. Sure, I understand that many beginners do it and are fine. But many beginners do it and get injured. There's no point in jumping up to the most intense version of a particular mode of exercise right from the get go.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Are you nursing? when I was nursing I had a hard time losing until the baby was 12 months or so. Then it got easier.
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem . I've been working out and nothing and its been at least 7 months . Help me to please
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time too...and it's been a year since i started this "lifestyle change"...I thought i was doing pretty good, but for some reason my body just won't give up the fat...I'm just going to keep plugging along and hope something changes soon
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you haven't long had a baby & your body's doing crazy things right now so be patient. When I had my baby nearly 12 years ago I had no car so I walked everywhere. When I got bored, I'd go out for a walk. When she wouldn't sleep (which was a lot!) I walked her around everywhere.

Use your baby as a workout, your arms will be toned in no time!! :)
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're being too strict with your diet. When I stopped losing, I had to up my calories to start losing again. Never did I gain (other than water retention). But it's hard to say without knowing what you do and what you eat.
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    you should go by measurments as well as weighing,, the scale doesn't always give the whole story! especially if your working out, muscle weighs more than fat! you could also be losing inches and not notice it
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem . I've been working out and nothing and its been at least 7 months . Help me to please

Take a look at your sodium intake, it is super high. I know I can never lose weight when I eat too much salt. Processed foods have a lot of sodium, try eating at least one home made meal a day. :flowerforyou:
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It looks like you joined MFP in September 2011. How long have you been on this journey? Did you begin before joining MFP? If you will open your diary, it will help others give more helpful advice.
  • becca92562
    becca92562 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing and the actually started gaining until I upped my calories
    I follow a zig zag plan allowing for low calorie and higher calorie days using the fat loss guideline. Had great results losing every week :)
  • likeaphoenix
    likeaphoenix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This is JUST a thought (for the poster and the one above who says she's been trying for months with no weight loss), and it may not even be correct. It is important to measure and weigh your food intake, whenever possible. Once you are pretty experienced with knowing what a serving size or weight is, you may be able to skip this step perhaps, but generally most people are not good at estimating how much they are eating. For example, 1.5 cups of cereal instead of just 1 cup makes a big difference in cals. If you are not accurate about how much you are eating, you may be going over your calories.

Good luck!! :bigsmile:
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    How long has it been?
  • deseablev
    Options
    Hey,

Like everyone else said it's hard to know without seeing your food and exercise dairy but here are some things you may or may not have thought about. (no particular order, just writing as they come to my head).

1. Eat 5 small meals a day. Even though it is important to stay under your calorie limit, you should be spreading out the calories (make sure they are healthy calories) throughout the day, every 3 or so hours, to increase your metabolism.
    2. As someone mentioned, look at the sugars as well. Eat foods with low glycemic index, particularly in the morning, to reduce cravings.
    3. I don't recommend eating right before you go to bed
    4. have consistent portions of carbs, protein, fat and fiber each day. I had the same problem and my nutritionist told me that it was because even though I was eating 1200 calories or less a day, my carb intake varied a lot. One day I would eat no carbs and then the next I would eat a lot. So my body was in starvation mode.
    5. change up your exercise routine. Don't do the same thing every day. Make sure to do be cardio and weight training. Lean muscle helps increase you burn more calories at your resting metabolic rate.
    6. monitor your heart rate and use it as a tool during your work out.
    7. I don't know if you drink alcohol but it has A LOT of calories so watch out!
    8. Also watch sodium intake. Eating a lot of salt can make you retain water.
    9. How long have you been dieting? Patience is key! My friend just told me about how she was frustrated with only losing 8 pounds during her first two months. Since then, which has been between 3-4 weeks she has lost 9 pounds. She didn't change her workout at all just improved her eating habits a little. And I also believe it took some time for it to really start coming off because she was gaining lean muscle in the firs two months so sometimes it takes patience (which believe me I know is hard!)

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    A couple factors may contribute your inability to lose weight:

For one, you may have a thyroid problem. If you have other symptoms, such as fatigue, depression, dry skin, and thinning hair, you should see a doctor.

There is also another possibility, and that's food intolerance. I just discovered this after two years of calorie cutting and no weight loss. Is there a food that you eat often? Do you have unnatural cravings for this food? Do you experience fluid retention, swelling in the legs and ankles?

A food intolerance can cause the body to inappropriately store fat. It can also cause water retention, which masks itself as weight gain.

It takes some discipline and planning, but you could try an elimination diet:

http://www.cfids.org/about-cfids/elimination-diet.asp
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Take a look at your sodium intake, it is super high. I know I can never lose weight when I eat too much salt. Processed foods have a lot of sodium, try eating at least one home made meal a day. :flowerforyou:

You are within your calories but not necessarily eating food that is good for you. Personally I only eat whole grains now - it has made a huge difference for me. More filling. My typical breakfast is a 100 percent whole grain English muffin with scrambled eggs or smoked salmon. Whole grains and protein. I cook everything now - even bring my lunch which is typical left overs from dinner tossed on a huge bed of mixed greens/spinach.

Typical snack is string cheese and walnuts or an apple.

I also am really careful about sugar. When you read labels you will see how much hidden sugar there is in food - I had no idea.

Once I cut sugar and switched to whole grains I started to fell so much better! Made the switch a couple of weeks ago and now
    have zero desire for anything that is not healthy.

Keep at it!
  • bds23
    bds23 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have the same problem and would love some help and support as well :bigsmile: maybe we could be buddies and we could help each other find out different things that work for us?? If you would like to please feel free to add me :drinker: