Coconut water- Good for a diet?

Options
I love coconut water but not sure where to fit it. Coconut water good as just a snack or part of a meal?

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    It's a good workout recovery drink! It has more electrolytes than sports drinks and more potassium than two bananas. Sometimes I freeze mine and have it for a treat, like a slushy.
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yup. It's awesome!
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I would say it doesn't matter where you put it, as long as you log it.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have only recently started drinking coconut water myself. I drink the Zico brand. Make sure you're reading the nutrition label. These are not "free" calories. For example, the lime citrus one I had this morning has only 60 calories for a whole bottle, but compare that to a whopping 160 mg of sodium (something I have to watch carefully!) well, I think it would be easy to get carried away drinking it and drink away your allowances for the day.

I usually have it with breakfast and/or a snack. This morning I drank 1/2 a bottle for my morning snack. It is so delicious and the hydration is excellent. Lots of potassium too . . better than a banana.

Also, I have tried the pomberry Zico and the passion fruit . . by far, my favorite is the passion fruit but it's also the hardest for me to find. For whatever reason, the passion fruit has less sodium . . only 60 mg . . and the calories are the same (60).
  • EnuffaMyButt
    EnuffaMyButt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ok, real stupid question here but, does it really taste alot like coconut? The few I've seen are 2 servings per packaging and loads of sugar. What's the best in everyone's opinion?
  • tjnahm
    tjnahm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I personally can not stand the taste of he Naked brand. It is a vile disgusting concoction.

That said... I drink 8oz of it post strength workout as it is possibly one of the best drinks on the face of the planet. Did you know that in pacific during WWII, medics used coconut water as an emergency blood donor for wounded troops? It is a perfect universal donor in emergency situations.

The stuff is absolutely amazing for you.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ok, real stupid question here but, does it really taste alot like coconut? The few I've seen are 2 servings per packaging and loads of sugar. What's the best in everyone's opinion?

Personally, I don't think it tastes like coconut at all. It's very refreshing, especially after a workout.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Did you know that in pacific during WWII, medics used coconut water as an emergency blood donor for wounded troops? It is a perfect universal donor in emergency situations.

The stuff is absolutely amazing for you.

That's really frickin cool
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have drank it right out of the Coconut.....It was warm...
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    I just saw an ad on TV for Dr Oz show coming up (not sure when) Diet Myths...and Coconut Water was mentioned...

Hmmm.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I drink it before hot yoga or weight lifting for extra hydration/potassium.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a favourite brand they'd like to recommend?
    I've had the Grace coconut water (with the jelly) as well as the Zico stuff (which tasted like artificial garbage).
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Taste Nirvana makes one that tastes great but right now i have Zico and its awesome
  • Bake1
    Bake1 Posts: 15
    Options
    looks like I will have to go to the store & try this out. I mean if it's only 60 calories. A bottle of water is 90 I think.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    i like it post workout, or mixed with protein powder as a super delicious shake...

some brands taste more like coconut than others, but it's a refreshing taste, and not like that yucky, ueber-sweet, artificle coconut flavor... if that makes any sense.

I like Cocowell and Dr. Martin's (both organic, fair trade, and available in germany. lol)

edit: flavor wise- the Dr. Martin's is the best I've ever had, although there was one in the states with coconut chunks in it... pretty yum, as long as you can handle the consistency- it might have been naked brand... not sure.