Slow cooker?

Options
I've been tempted for years to buy a slow cooker and this year might be the year! I have several questions for those of you who own one (It is very uncommon where I live so I have never seen one in person)...

I have a Le Creuset cast iron casserole that I use ALL THE TIME. First question is do I really need a slow cooker? Is there a major difference between a stove top crock pot and a slow cooker (regarding taste/recipes)? I know you gain time with the electrical appliance but would I be able to make a slow cooker recipe in my Le Creuset, for instance?

What brand/model do you own? Are you happy with it? what capacity is needed for a family of 3 (maybe 4 in a few years)?

Does it smell? Stupid question, I know but we live in a apartment and food smell everywhere isn't so nice... If i let stuff cook during the day, will my apartment smell like food for weeks?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have a CrockPot, which is great because I can brown the meat first to give colour and then add the veggies/sauce before work and its so great to come home and have healthy food awaiting. The crockPot is ovenproof and dishwasher safe because some other brands are really awkward to wash and arn't versitile. I have a Le Creuset casserole small I use this mainly for soups ratherthan stews. There is a food smell as the stew cooks throughout the day. I would say the main advantage over the Le Creuset is convienance and easy, pop it in set the temp and let it do the work while I'm at work.
  • javalava
    javalava Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had a slow cooker for years (they don't make my one any more) and it's great especially in winter. I also have cast iron casseroles but as I've got a gas hob/oven, it's not safe to leave that on all day when I'm out. The beauty of the slow cooker is that you can put it on in the morning before work - if you have time, brown the meat but it's not essential - and then it smells fabulous as you walk in the door in the evening.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have a crock pot, and I have a rice cooker.
    The rice cooker is nice because it doubles as a slow cooker, and a steamer, so it can triple duty. Its a sayno.
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a CrockPot & adore it-- I use it 2-3x/week. We have a 6-quart which we use to make 2-3 meals for the two of us. I can smell the food when I walk in the door, but it's a subtle, pleasant smell, not nearly as strong as cooking something on the stove.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone on your answers! Any hints on which brand to buy?
  • ExtremePHIT
    Options
    I love my crock pot, it makes people think I'm an awesome cook when I really just turned it on and let it cook all day haha.

I like the digital ones, because if you're at work all day you can set it to turn on at like 10am and it's done when you get home from work.
  • launawe
    launawe Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have the cheapest version of the Crock-Pot brand. I would only pay more if I needed a bigger one, or if I wanted one with a timer. Mine is fine for how I use it. I think it is great for winter. It's great for cooking within my work schedule. I can brown the meat, cut the veggies, and put everything together the night before. I stick it all in the fridge. Then, the next morning, I set it out and turn it on. When I get home, my dinner is ready. It does make the house smell like food, but that doesn't bother me when it's something yummy. It's good for things like soup or spaghetti b/c all the flavors are mixed together well. The best thing is being able to come home to a home-cooked meal after a long day.