Anyone Else Need a Paleo/Primal Challenge?

Options

Replies

• HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Are peanuts/peanut butter primal/paleo??

Nope, but almonds, cashews, walnuts etc are. I just switched from peanut butter to almond butter as I have tweaked my diet to be around paleo. Took a little adjustment, it isn't pb for sure, but it is very good. I bought Blue Diamond, homestyle. Whatever you buy, check the back to make sure the ingredients are just almonds or almonds and salt.

Yesterday's Food

Breakfest: egg, bacon and broc muffin
    Snack: Larabar and grapes
    Lunch: summer squash and meatloaf
    Snack: Trail mix
    Dinner: Burrito x 2

The tortilla, beans, corn and little cheese in the burrito wasn't paleo, but the rest of my day was right on 100%, so I am ok with that. Today's menu is very similar. Dinner will again probably have a couple non-paleo items, but again...I am ok with that.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's food:

Breakfast: chocolate whey protein powder, coconut milk (can't find any without guar gum, suggestions?), and strawberry kefir. Coffee and coconut milk

Morning snack: Concord grapes

Lunch: chicken thigh with roasted root veggies

Afternoon snack: lightly candied walnuts (homemade)

Dinner: Homemade chili with a glass of pinot noir

About 150g of carbs. I need to cut down on sugar, but one thing at a time.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I tried a potato today to mix thigns up as I had been stuck on 11st 7 for a few days and I've put 2lbs on today.. I was only putting on 1 lb a day with no carbs... so back to low carbs for me.. just hope it goes back to 11st 7 tomorrow morning after all hard work I've done or the capsiplex will be coming back out for another 2 hour exercise session!

I'm gonna get some zaggora hot pants too so I can sweat loads and hopefully can drop few pounds that way too!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was good breakfast and lunch, but I did have pecan delight candy-caramel and chocolate. Then for dinner I had sushi. I can see pizza and sushi will definitely have to go in my 20%, couldn't give them up.
    DH birthday tonight and I will try make good choices but I know where we are going and I know what I want, and it's not paleo. I had Kefir for breakfast, egg muffin for snack and just an apple so far for lunch because I am not all that hungry. I haven't been on the scale since I don't want to hear what it has to say for awhile:tongue:
    I plan to get back into my exercise routine next week. I was in Spain, then got sick when I got back and just want to take it easy so the symptoms don't linger forever...
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My appetite is significantly reduced. This is one thing I love about this way of eating. My energy levels are back up, too. I did Zumba today for the 1st time, and felt great!
    Yesterday's food: Pork loin, squash and spinach boats, grilled chicken salad, wine.
    I could tell that I wasn't nearly as bloated this morning. I just hope the weekend doesn't ruin it for me!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I'm game. My diet is pretty similar to paleo/primal.
  • HollyMac20
    Options
    Ate great yesterday, had a good workout, then had pizza for dinner. Got to a friends house at 8pm, hungry, they had already ordered pizza, I had a couple peices. I felt so terrible!!! Blah.

Pot roast and peas for lunch today :-)
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    Ate great yesterday, had a good workout, then had pizza for dinner. Got to a friends house at 8pm, hungry, they had already ordered pizza, I had a couple peices. I felt so terrible!!! Blah.

I had pizza last night too! I went to a restaurant that almost exclusively serves pizza (everything else had bread) with the intention of gluten free crust, but it only came in personal size and I was splitting with my husband. It would have cost almost twice as much to get the two pizzas, so it wasn't worth it cost wise. I am so, so tired today and got my typical amount of sleep. Is it possible to have a gluten hangover? Thats how I feel.
  • amysj303
    Options

I had pizza last night too! I went to a restaurant that almost exclusively serves pizza (everything else had bread) with the intention of gluten free crust, but it only came in personal size and I was splitting with my husband. It would have cost almost twice as much to get the two pizzas, so it wasn't worth it cost wise. I am so, so tired today and got my typical amount of sleep. Is it possible to have a gluten hangover? Thats how I feel.
    Possibly. I have a real hangover:wink:
    Went to dinner for DH's birthday and had the most amazing food. They were out of one thing we ordered but it sounds so good, and paleo, I might try to make it: butternut squash soup with crab! I didn't do very paleo but we did have short ribs for an entree and they were quite good.
  • HollyMac20
    Options
    Just went out to eat and ordered a great cob salad, completely paleo. Always feels like a victory when you go out and eat and stay on your diet :-)
  • amysj303
    Options
    good job! I am not paleo today. I'll check back in with all of you next week...
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Great, shall our small group do some thinking and planning and start this weekend? I know it's usually Monday but during the weekend many of really have time to carefully consider what we eat and can prep for the weekday. If you're in, please read the read the primal blueprint101 below:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

And then post:

Why are you trying Primal eating? Have you done it before?

What will be your biggest challenge going primal? How do you plan to overcome it?

Name your top 3 goals for this week out of the primal lifestyle recommendations.

On Sunday I would like everyone to come up with a plan for what they will eat during the week (preparation is the key to success!)

I'm a week late but this is a great challenge for a beginner like me. A week at a time is mentally very managable too. I've been reading blogs and finding all sorts of information and recipes. I'm actually looking forward to the change, and to the challenges that will come with it.

Why are you trying Primal eating? Have you done it before?

I lost 50lbs about 15 years ago doing low carb, Protein Power by the Eades who I think are more paleo these days. I loved the food. It's easy, mostly, since I am not much for cooking. I want to try it again, I need to lose the same 50lbs. :huh: :grumble:

I'm also kind of a proponent of the Blood Type diets and I am an O, which means this sort of eating should suit me well.

What will be your biggest challenge going primal? How do you plan to overcome it?

Sugar and Bread. And my spouse. Since I'm just starting I'm going to not be too hard on myself. I'll do the best I can to minimize the first two. The spouse...well...I'll keep him. :love: I guess. I'll spend some time explaining what I'm doing, but really, he eats whatever I put in front of him so if it's meat and veggies that will work. The harder part is getting him to not bring home candy and pie and that sort of thing. He's thin and eats anything and mostly badly. :frown:

Name your top 3 goals for this week out of the primal lifestyle recommendations.

~I'm cleaning up my pantry, re-stocking paleo style
    ~Avoiding most undesirable carbs...as best I can. Pasta, breads, crackers, most legumes, sodas, and most sugar.
    ~Body weight workouts, I'll shoot for two. I have an injury so can't do much walking or hiking. :sad:
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    So, how is everyone's week going? I had 1 serving of rice and a couple doses of popcorn and a few macaroons last night, otherwise my week has been pretty primal. I have been eating a lot of soup since it has been rainy. I have been under cals but no weight loss yet.

What have you learned this week?
    Did you accomplish your goals? If not why not?
    Will you try it again this week? If so, what are your goals for next week?
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This week I've learned how easy it is to limit calories doing primal + intermittent fasting. I've also learned I'm a carb and dairy addict, I want them for no reason!

My biggest goal was cutting out dairy, which I did successfully except for a few tums I didn't realize had milk. I did cave and eat a little rice though out of hunger. I think I need to make sure I stay reasonably fed

I will. I am going to continue no dairy, no wheat, and be more aggressive with sticking to 1-2 servings of sugar and no rice. I am still not limiting soy or beans or popcorn. I will focus on getting in my 1200 calories to see if that helps with willpower
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I would like to join in here, if I may. My name is Ange, and I'm a carboholic ;)

Been off and on primal for something over a year, and initially lost over 60 lbs. Then it stopped working for a few months, I injured myself, and 4 months later I'm up 40lbs! grr. So anyway, I've primalized the 17 day diet's accelerate cycle to try to get myself back in the game. Down 5 this week! I had lost a total of 107 lbs before I fell off. Right now, I have about 70lb to go.

Stocked the house again today with tons of chicken, ground turkey and pork, cleansing veggies and almonds. My little "cheat" right now is the occasional sugar free jello product with reddi whip. Tonight is cold rotisserie chicken with oven roasted aspargus and whole mushrooms, Yum!

My major weakness right now is peanut butter. (Dang peanut butter, why must I love you so???) On lower calorie or super hungry days, I have a tablespoon of it in the afternoon. I have not been able to break that this week. :p Not sure I want to! ha

I'm on day 6 of the cycle, and no grains or starches allowed. Next cycle I will allow some sweet potatoes and maybe some beans, while not primal, don't seem to give me any tummy issues or slow my losses.

I'm not sure what my goals are this week, other than to just stay the course! So early in, I've had zero temptations. I wish it was so easy on week 52 as on week 1! :)
  • mabonnevie107
    mabonnevie107 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join! :) I'm attempting to not eat the meat served on my campus... I can't do very well in terms of sustainable meat or anything because let's face it, I'm a poor college kid with a meal plan. I do get the nitrate-free bacon and ham, as well as fish from the grocery store, but that's about the extent of my meat eating. I also get organic eggs, dairy, frozen and fresh veggies/fruit, nuts, and dark chocolate at the student market, which is the best I can do right now. I'm not trying to be 100% paleo by any means. I just started today... I had some cheese, a bit of half and half, some peanut butter, dark chocolate. I know it isn't 'strict' by any means but I'm doing what works for me right now. I have about 40 pounds to lose if we're thinking in terms of the scale... but really I want to go from my current size 12 to a size 6 or 4. I know I can do this!!! In terms of workouts.. I walk a whole lot, but I also have gotten back into swimming, which I do most days of the week, and I'm in the process of integrating bodyweight strength workouts 3-4 days a week. Yay! :-)
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    ugh I failed two days this week. I had pizza one day and yesterday was just an epic fail. But, this week is a new week and I am determined to stay grain free. Only one week. I can do it!
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Count me in and anyone that wants to friend a caveman send the invite.

Today I am making a low carb thanks giving dinner, mmmm
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So, how is everyone's week going?

This has been an interesting week. Lots of stuff going on, initially emotionally then moving to the more physical and WOE stuff. 10/4 was the anniversary of my son's death. I spent the weekend with my three daughters.

I came home to finish getting ready for a 5 day/4 night backpacking trip starting Wednesday morning, 10/5. Last week I had an MRI on my foot because I had complained to my doctor about pain with no obvious origin. I spoke with her on Tuesday and she told me I have more than one stress injury in my foot, referred me to a podiatrist (who I won't be able to see for two whole weeks), prescribed a walking boot thingie, and very effectively shut down the hiking trip for me, and any other hiking for the time being. I ALMOST went against doctor orders. I finished preparing, went to bed early Tuesday night, and at 4am decided it really is in my best interest to hold off now so I can do this hike and the many others I hope to do in the future, so made the call to withdraw from the hike. :grumble: :cry: So I've been stuck in a boot, no yoga, slow walking about, no hiking...I've done a few upper body strength exercises, but that doesn't feel nearly enough.

Then I joined MFP on Wednesday, I think. And by Friday I determined to try the LC/paleo WOE again. That's a lot of changes to make in my kitchen, pantry, grocery list, and thinking. But I'm on my way and have lost 2 lbs as of this morning. :happy: And while I haven't been doing this for a whole week yet, I did get a ways in my goals and thought it a good plan to make some more here with you guys.

I've been doing a lot of google research. Reading blogs and recipes and all your posts and food diaries. :) I've learned a LOT! I think one of the most important, for me, things I have learned is in order to shorten the adjustment period of moving to this WOE one would do well to deal with cravings by replacing sugar and grain with FAT. And that a spoonful of coconut oil isn't bad at all. :smile:

My goals...~I'm cleaning up my pantry, re-stocking paleo style ~Avoiding most undesirable carbs...as best I can. Pasta, breads, crackers, most legumes, sodas, and most sugar. ~Body weight workouts, I'll shoot for two.

My freezer, fridge, and pantry are stocked with lots of good paleo choices. The difficult part is that there is still lots and lots of not-so-good choices still hanging around in plain sight. I did put all the good choices on one shelf and moved others to the freezer in the kitchen. I'll continue to do some rearranging and donating and send lunches to work with the Spouse. I just want it out of my face...it's easier that way and helps me with my second goal...which, while not perfect by any means, I am doing ok with accomplishing. Little bits of sugar is probably the hardest thing at this point to refrain from in my diet. I'm working on a strategy for that. As for the third, the exercise thing, I did some push ups yesterday, but that's it so far. So I think I've done ok for the three days I've been doing this.

With a 2lb loss in two days and feeling the way I currently feel, you bet I'm going to continue this WOE! I can tell by the taste in my mouth that I have moved in to ketosis so I'm running on fat sitting here in my bed, enjoying my usual Sunday morning ritual of NPR, coffee with real cream and stevia, and hanging with the Spouse. My goals for this week coming, Oct 9-15, will be:

~Oatmeal, peanut butter, milk, and sugar-y things are my weaknesses. I will work on limiting these things in my diet.
    ~Again with the body weight workouts...I'll do 4 this week, along with walking,
    ~I will talk to my Spouse about what I'm doing and ask for his support.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    80/20. I would like to hear more about how people interpret this. do they think, like 80% of their meals, or 80% of the days on the calendar?

I'd like to know this too.

Hey everyone, fellow primal eater here, I've been an active poster on another Paleo challenge thread this month but also been trying to keep an eye on this one, hope you don't mind a crossover joining here as well?

My interpretation is 80% of the calendar. You will have days which are special occasions or no occasion where you will indulge in something not so good for you. But eating well more days than not helps your body handle those times better. If you are eating "20%" foods every day, you body won't run as well as it could- continued inflammation, weight loss stalls. At least this is what my experience tells me.