Newbie Runner - 5K training for me (36) and my son (8)

Options
So, my son has been bugging me to let him run a marathon. I didn't know anything about it, so I started asking around. I have decided (for his health) to allow the 1st to be a 5K in November. I have a Running Program to work him up to the 5K by Nov 24th. I have also decided that I am going to try and do it with him. So, my questions;

Just give me anything you think would be helpful. Diet (he is a meat eater, I am vegetarian), shoes, pace, good music to help pace us, etc., just anything.

Also, here is our routine to follow starting next week:
Week of 10/10: 3 days; run for 3 minutes, walk for 5 minutes 3 times (total=24 minutes)
Week of 10/17: 3 days; run for 4 minutes, walk for 5 minutes 3 times (total=27 minutes)
Week of 10/24: 3 days; run for 5 minutes, walk for 4 minutes 3 times (total=27 minutes)
Week of 10/31: 3 days; run for 7 minutes; walk for 3 minutes 3 times (total=30 minutes)
Week of 11/7: 3 days; run for 10 minutes; walk for 2 minutes 2 times (total=24 minutes)
Week of 11/14 3 days; run for 12 minutes; walk for 1 minute 2 times (total=26 minutes)
Week of 11/21: Rest for race on Thursday

Replies

• lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    How old is your son? My son and I just did a half this summer, he is 15 though, and it was awesome!! He is way faster than me but it was nice to see him on the course and at the end! I followed Hal's method and he just ran everyday varying from 3-6 miles and long runs on the weekend. He has been running on and off for two years. As far as food goes I would say the biggest thing is to make sure you are drinking enough water!! You really need to up it two days BEFORE a long run and right away after a run. Chocolate milk is GREAT after a long run too. We did go through a lot of nuts and sports beans while training. We always run the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot together too, so that is a good start!! Good luck and good for you both!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If either of you run out of breath before your legs/body gets tired, try counting steps. Run 3 steps and breathe in, run 2 steps and breathe out. An even better pace is to run 2 breathe in, run 2 breathe out.

Here is a link explaining it: http://www.mamashealth.com/run/breath.asp

I mention this because breathing is my absolute biggest issue while running. Have fun!
  • Vilmarie76
    Vilmarie76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I completed my first 5k back on Sept. 11 and my advice to you would be to keep up with the training but just remember on race day to do it at your pace do not worry about how fast others are going. The objective is to finish the race. I would also have to say hydrate,hydrate,hydrate.....you do not want to get sick or dehydrate the day of race. Over all with it being the first one I say just enjoy it.....I did...I enjoyed it so much that I have been jogging everyday since for my next one.
    Hope this helped out.....
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    First off I want to say that it is so awesome that he's going to run with you! I started running this year and had done a few 5K's and my 9 year old son asked if he could do one. He has finished 2 with me now! I just started out running a block, walking a block for a total of about 20 minutes and a little under 2 miles. Gradually built up to 3 miles of running/walking. I took about 3 months to be able to run the whole thing without stopping to walk any. We didn't follow any programs or anything. Just tried to get out there about 5 days a week in the beginning to build up endurance. Now it has slacked off to 3 or 4 days a week. Usually before a run I'll eat some oatmeal. I like the Kashi vanilla the best. I add a little drizzle of honey to it. Greek yogurt or cottage cheese is good before running too. Dried fruits like raisins give you energy. Chewing gum helps during your run. Get some good protein in afterwards, like a shake or a bar. As for shoes, I love Asics Gel Nimbus! Pace is trial and error I think. On races I always start out too fast because my adrenaline is going full force. I don't listen to any music. I usually count along with my breathing. Sounds crazy, but it is relaxing!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, healthy balanced diet, listen to your body.

I ran my first 5K last weekend and I saw a few kids around 8 or 9 running too. Oh yeah, two of them passed me in the beginning and then I passed one that had started walking and the other was on his Dad's shoulders when I passed! Funny.
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Shoes--get fitted at a local running store. Everyone's feet, stride, pronation are different so get a professional to check you out and recommend the shoes that will be best for you.
  • mbaldan
    mbaldan Posts: 35
    Options
    How old is your son? My son and I just did a half this summer, he is 15 though, and it was awesome!! He is way faster than me but it was nice to see him on the course and at the end! I followed Hal's method and he just ran everyday varying from 3-6 miles and long runs on the weekend. He has been running on and off for two years. As far as food goes I would say the biggest thing is to make sure you are drinking enough water!! You really need to up it two days BEFORE a long run and right away after a run. Chocolate milk is GREAT after a long run too. We did go through a lot of nuts and sports beans while training. We always run the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot together too, so that is a good start!! Good luck and good for you both!!

He's 8!
    Does the water ever make your tummy hurt? I know sometimes if I try and workout before my food is digested my tummy will hurt. Same for water?
  • mbaldan
    Options
    First off I want to say that it is so awesome that he's going to run with you! I started running this year and had done a few 5K's and my 9 year old son asked if he could do one. He has finished 2 with me now! I just started out running a block, walking a block for a total of about 20 minutes and a little under 2 miles. Gradually built up to 3 miles of running/walking. I took about 3 months to be able to run the whole thing without stopping to walk any. We didn't follow any programs or anything. Just tried to get out there about 5 days a week in the beginning to build up endurance. Now it has slacked off to 3 or 4 days a week. Usually before a run I'll eat some oatmeal. I like the Kashi vanilla the best. I add a little drizzle of honey to it. Greek yogurt or cottage cheese is good before running too. Dried fruits like raisins give you energy. Chewing gum helps during your run. Get some good protein in afterwards, like a shake or a bar. As for shoes, I love Asics Gel Nimbus! Pace is trial and error I think. On races I always start out too fast because my adrenaline is going full force. I don't listen to any music. I usually count along with my breathing. Sounds crazy, but it is relaxing!

Actually, It's me running with him! LOL I wasn't interested at all. But, the person who developed the training program for him talked me into doing it with him.
    How old was your 9YO the 1st time?
  • mbaldan
    Options
    Shoes--get fitted at a local running store. Everyone's feet, stride, pronation are different so get a professional to check you out and recommend the shoes that will be best for you.

How about socks? Low cut, ankle...? I know that might sound weird, but I am serious.
  • Eshamy22
    Options
    I'm a runner too! A 5k is a great place to start. Best of luck.

Most important is getting the right shoes for each of you. Go to a running store for that...don't feel obligated to buy b/c it can be expensive...find out what brand/style/size and look for the same shoe online. I've even found my $100 running shoe at DSW for half the cost.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    This is my playlist

Rollin' - Limp Bizkit
    One Step Closer - Linkin Park
    Papercut - Linkin Park
    Black and Yellow - Wiz Khalifa
    Another one bites the dust - Queen
    Let it Rock - Kevin Rudolf
    Welcome to the World - Kevin Rudolf
    Ready to Go - Panic! at the Disco
    We R Who We R - Ke$ha
    Judas - Gaga
    Invincible - Pat Benatar
    Love you like a love song - Selena Gomez
    The way I are - Timbaland
    Better than Her - Matisse
    Love and Memories - OAR
    Heaven - OAR
    Where them Girls at - David Guetta

and last but NOT least

Loser like me - Glee Cast (yes, I am a gleek)
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options

How about socks? Low cut, ankle...? I know that might sound weird, but I am serious.

I would say length is personal preference, but get some performance that will keep your feet drier.
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i am going to try this tomorrow. thanks & wish me luck !