So, is cereal making me faint after working out?

Options
This started last week. That day I ate Chocapic (I know, I know) and 30 minutes later went to PE class. To start, an 8 minute run, that I completed just fine. I slowed down and felt great. A bit after, while warming up/stretching, everything got darker, the sounds got a bit fuzzy, I felt extremely nauseous and almost fainted. I sat down and a couple minutes after I was perfectly fine and continued the class normally.

Today the same thing happened. I ate the same breakfast, 30 minutes after I ran 10 minutes (YEY for better endurance) and felt a bit tired but normal. Again, we had a really easy warm-up/stretching, and the same thing happened. I got better 5 minutes later and the whole class went normally.

I don't have any medical condition (as far as I know, because I had some blood tests done a couple months ago) and I really don't want to go to the doctor (long story short, family thinks I'm developing an ED because I want to TRY to eat right and exercise and would kill me because they'd find a way to connect this episodes to my new healthy lifestyle).

SO is it possible that this is caused by the cereal I eat, maybe because it causes a spike or something? It's really annoying that I can run but then almost faint during stretching :/

Replies

• ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    stop eating it and see what happens with the same routine
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You need to eat BEFORE your workout - try a banana or half clif bar 30 minutes BEFORE, then eat again (or have chocolate milk) within 10 minutes after the workout.

You'll feel a lot better.
  • goddesshanna
    goddesshanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's probably the fact that it is a sugary cereal that's doing it... try eating a breakfast with a protein in it instead like peanut butter on toast.
  • bexp2
    bexp2 Posts: 41
    Options
    What kind of stretching are you doing when you begin to feel faint? Are you bending over with your head down? That can make you feel lightheaded if you're out of breath...

Try some protein for breakfast, like eggs. Or at least something less sugary, like whole grain cereal or toast, and see how that works.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Certainly aim for some good carbs and protein. I have no idea what that cereal is that your eating, based on your comment its sugary stuff which will boost you, but make you crash and leave you with no endurance. Try a clif bar, wheat toast and PB, a nanner, almonds, etc. These will give you sustained energy and should help with recovery. I am not a nutrition expert, just based upon my experience.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I get totally fainty if I eat bran cereal in the morning. I think it has something to do with carbs/sugar.

Google it. It's a common thing, actually. So now I stick to mostly protein and fat in the a.m.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    What kind of stretching are you doing when you begin to feel faint? Are you bending over with your head down? That can make you feel lightheaded if you're out of breath...

Try some protein for breakfast, like eggs. Or at least something less sugary, like whole grain cereal or toast, and see how that works.

Thats a great point about the stretches!
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Its highly possible. I find that if I don't fuel well before a workout, I can get a little light headed if I work too hard. Definitely have some protein but you also need good carbs. Try some whole grain toast with some peanut butter and a banana. Since your gym class is in the morning - go a bit heavier on the calories for your breakfast and lighten up at dinner. And drink water BEFORE class.
  • juhz
    juhz Posts: 6
    Options

yes, some movements require bending over, but I always feel normal when doing those. the problem comes up after :/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    This started last week. That day I ate Chocapic (I know, I know) and 30 minutes later went to PE class. To start, an 8 minute run, that I completed just fine. I slowed down and felt great. A bit after, while warming up/stretching, everything got darker, the sounds got a bit fuzzy, I felt extremely nauseous and almost fainted. I sat down and a couple minutes after I was perfectly fine and continued the class normally.

Today the same thing happened. I ate the same breakfast, 30 minutes after I ran 10 minutes (YEY for better endurance) and felt a bit tired but normal. Again, we had a really easy warm-up/stretching, and the same thing happened. I got better 5 minutes later and the whole class went normally.

I don't have any medical condition (as far as I know, because I had some blood tests done a couple months ago) and I really don't want to go to the doctor (long story short, family thinks I'm developing an ED because I want to TRY to eat right and exercise and would kill me because they'd find a way to connect this episodes to my new healthy lifestyle).

SO is it possible that this is caused by the cereal I eat, maybe because it causes a spike or something? It's really annoying that I can run but then almost faint during stretching :/
    Food doesn't absorb immediately so this has more to do with NOT eating before you exercised.
  • 1dragonfly
    1dragonfly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with getting light-headed if I only eat cereal. Must eat some protein and maybe a piece of fruit to get some quick and long-lasting energy. (So my trainer told me :) ). So far this has helped.
  • juhz
    Options
    Thank you all so much, this really helped a lot. I think I'll switch my cereal to a whole grain bread toast with cheese, milk and an apple, and maybe take a couple crackers with PB to munch on just before working out.

If it doesn't work I guess I'll have to come clean, go to the doctor, expect the best and hope it's nothing serious.

Again, thank you :)
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    how much water are you drinking? Is it hot outside? It could be a hydration problem
  • juhz
    Options
    how much water are you drinking? Is it hot outside? It could be a hydration problem

I drink half a liter per workout, maybe a little more. And it's really not that hot, the class is always before 11am.
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I war an hour to an hour and a half BEFORE my workouts and within an hour after. I too would get lightheaded during a workout if I didn't eat properly before a workout. I usually eat a banana or some oatmeal and a couple turkey sausage, nothing too heavy.