Creamy Yogurt Cheesecake

Options
I have the following recipe that will actually be a GREAT substitute to traditional cheesecake. I am just trying to find a way to cut back a few more calories and I could use your suggestions.

First of all, I don't think the 1/4 cup of sugar is necessary for the crust no matter what you use as a base. Just the crumbs and butter (which I will use light butter) will do just fine. My question is this: To save in cals/fat what would you use as a base? Any specific cookie that you would recommend? I would like to make the "Mocha" variation which recommends a chocolate cookie crust.

Any other flavors/variations you could do to lighten this up but still have a great flavor?

I love that this uses Greek Yogurt!

Creamy Yogurt Cheese Cake

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups ground cookie crumbs
1 1/4 cup... sugar, divided
1/4 c butter, melted
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract*
2 Tbsp. flour
3 cups Dannon® Oikos® Greek Plain or Vanilla Yogurt

Directions
1. Combine the ground cookies, 1/4 cup sugar and the melted butter in a small bowl. Press into the bottom of a lightly greased 9" spring form pan.
2. Beat together the eggs and the remaining 1 c sugar. Add the vanilla and flour and mix to blend thoroughly. Gently whisk in the yogurt. Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until barely set in center. Turn oven off and cool cake in oven.
3. Bring cake to room temperature, then refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve cake with berries.
Citrus: Add 1 Tbsp. orange zest and 2 tsp. lemon zest to the batter
Mocha: use chocolate cookie crumbs in crust and add 1 Tbsp. instant espresso, dissolved, to the batter

Replies

• deannarey13
    Options
    Does anyone know - would using Egg Beaters still work for this recipe or would that change the texture too?
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good... I am going to "play around with this" a little. I LOVE tweaking recipes.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Instead of making a crust, try spraying your pan with butter flavored Pam and then dusting it with reduced fat Graham Cracker Crumbs. You could also substitute Egg Beaters for the eggs.
  • kiltbunny
    kiltbunny Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Maybe use the reduced fat Nilla wafers for the crust.
  • kmart20
    kmart20 Posts: 72
    Options
    I use egg beaters egg whites in everything I make and haven't noticed anything different when using them
  • deannarey13
    Options

Awesome idea!!!!!
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump...

WAAAA too much sugar...consider sucanat, honey or maple syrup...
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Instead of making a crust, try spraying your pan with butter flavored Pam and then dusting it with reduced fat Graham Cracker Crumbs. You could also substitute Egg Beaters for the eggs.

Yeah, I was thinking that the Egg Beaters would work too! Great!
  • deannarey13
    Options
    bump...

WAAAA too much sugar...consider sucanat, honey or maple syrup...

Well, this is a desert. I will probably cut back a little bit, but I think the consistency would change considerably I used honey over sugar.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Using 1 cup of sugar (which I may cut back to 3/4 depending on how it tastes) Reduced Fat Nilla Wafers, and Egg Beaters here are the nutritional stats:

12 servings
    Calories: 141
    Carbs: 23
    Fat: 2
    Protein: 8
    Sodium: 110

This is just a plain vanilla cheesecake, if you added any chocolate, fruit or other flavorings obviously that would add to these numbers.

I love it!
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yum ,let me know when to come over!
    I love the nila wafer idea!!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Have you made it using your substitutions yet? If so I'd love to know how it turned out. I may try this next time I have to bring dessert to a family function. Thanks for sharing.
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Anna's thin cookies. They make them in many different flavors: Chocolate Mint, Orange, Ginger, Cappucino, Cinnamon Almond.
    AND they are super yummy!
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just a bump so can find this again :wink:
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Here is MY question... does it have a cheesecake texture? I am thinking I HAVE TO ADD CREAM CHEESE!!!
  • brendaforfitness
    brendaforfitness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great recipe that I am going to have to try!! Thanks for the idea.....:smile:
  • OrabGirl
    Options
    I wonder how this would work in a cupcake shape so I don't have the whole thing staring at me for days.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I am happy to report that this recipe is DEFINITELY a makeover success!!!!

I made the vanilla variation for my friend for her birthday. I used Egg Beaters, only 3/4 cup sugar and low fat honey graham crackers (4 full sheets = 2 servings) which was only half as much crust, only requiring half the amount of (light) butter. The texture was exactly the same as regular cheesecake and it tasted fabulous!!! I am excited to try many more flavors!

It had 131 caloires, 1 gram of fat, aprox 20 carbs, 8 sugar and 8 protein.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I love cheesecake and I have no self control if I buy any, so this excites me!
  • Kimmers_80
    Options

Awesome idea!!!!!

I agree - great idea!! I'm going to try that too!