Running in the dark!

Options
I left the house at 6am this morning for a 5 mile run. Well, it was dark. And cold (34 degrees, brrr!). I hadn't done my laundry so my usual running gear was hanging to dry in my bathroom. I hit the road with blue running tights with reflectors on the calves, bright blue/lime green/white shorts, and a dark blue fleece. Oh, and black gloves. Definitely NOT looking good. I was clashing big time :) Also, I was pretty much invisible to drivers. I was on sidewalks but crossing the intersections were iffy, especially with those early morning commuters that hadn't gotten their coffee fix.

What fun gear do you have for early morning runs? Headlamp? Reflective vest? Christmas lights worn as a necklace? Burning Man glow bracelets? Something super cool I haven't even heard of?

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I go out at 5:30am not very trafficy area.. but I have a clip onflashing red LED light.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Head lamp is a must! Lol. REI has a great stock of reflective gear for runners...I tend to run at night as it's the only time I can really fit it in...and you need the reflectors. There are some vests similar to what police officers wear that are highly reflective that you can slip on over just about anything. Better safe and spend $100 on a head lamp and a vest than paying with your life. Be safe...and enjoy the early morning runs!!!
  • wendyannvantiem
    wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm too scared to go out when its dark. I don't live in the greatest area, but I bet its peaceful : )
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I'm too scared to go out when its dark. I don't live in the greatest area, but I bet its peaceful : )

While I live in a good area...I still carry mace with me in my hydro belt along with my cell so I can call if an emergency happens.
  • kerryh1976
    Options
    I often run in the evenings, after dark, and have never quite got the kit right either. But I am liking the idea of something silly like flashing lights .... am wondering how that would work though? May have to go shopping at the weekend for something Halloween themed:laugh:
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Oh I have all kinds of goodies to make me stand out. I'm an early morning runner too, usually 'round 5:30. I use my windproof cycling jacket/vest that is not only white but has lots of reflective accents on it. Plus, I have a reflective RoadID ankle band that has all my emergency info on it just in case. I also have an LED flashing ankle band I wear on the other leg. I usually take my dogs running with me and they both wear reflective collars all the time, and sometimes I even put a flashing strobe beacon on their collars to make them more visible. I'm sure I look like a carnival bouncing down the road but at least they'll see me coming from all angles! :laugh:
  • jackvf1
    jackvf1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a red flashing LED light that normally clips on to my bike to keep me visible on the road, but I use it when I run and just clilp to my arm or jacket. I live about a mile away from a bike path-it's safe, but parts of it are pretty dark and you have to be visible to cyclists that are using the trail also.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Yeah, I head out through a not-quite-awake-yet (aka deserted) business park area, then go through an area with a bunch of wanna-be gangsters. So, not the best route. Oh, and we have coyotes as well. So, I take my 90 lbs dog and assume she's scarier than most. I did consider a taser for a while. A cop friend said that civilian tasers are awesome because they go for 30 seconds, giving you time to get away. I just picture The Hangover when I think of tasers.

I had a head lamp 10 years ago..I should see if it's in one of my old boxes.

I've seen the vests, kinda want one. And a water belt thingy. And a 4th pair of running shoes. And all new Under Armour cold gear. Can you see why I am not to be trusted in an athletic store?
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Oh I have all kinds of goodies to make me stand out. I'm an early morning runner too, usually 'round 5:30. I use my windproof cycling jacket/vest that is not only white but has lots of reflective accents on it. Plus, I have a reflective RoadID ankle band that has all my emergency info on it just in case. I also have an LED flashing ankle band I wear on the other leg. I usually take my dogs running with me and they both wear reflective collars all the time, and sometimes I even put a flashing strobe beacon on their collars to make them more visible. I'm sure I look like a carnival bouncing down the road but at least they'll see me coming from all angles! :laugh:

I was thinking I should get my dog some funny Halloween costume with lights on it. She would probably be scared of it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

I've seen the vests, kinda want one. And a water belt thingy. And a 4th pair of running shoes. And all new Under Armour cold gear. Can you see why I am not to be trusted in an athletic store?

We share that same problem, lol. The guys in my local running store, REI, and D*cks know me by name....not a good sign. And go for that 4th pair of shoes! I have 4 pairs...two trail, two road so I can rotate them between runs. I don't take my dogs with me because they could not keep up even if I wanted them to. I always wanted a large dog but my now ex-husband said no. Now that I'm looking for an apartment I am past the 'animal limit'...2 is standard and I have 3. Should I be able to rent a house and they allow pets...I plan on finally getting a shepherd or dobie.

*edit- I hate that they bleep out a stores name but I understand the reason why, lol.