Thyroid problems?

Options
2»

Replies

• amygee05nb
    Options
    I am on the verge of going to the doctor to see if I have a thyroid problem because it's hard for me too lose weight. People are saying that if I had it I would know (pain)..we'll see
  • anquinette66
    Options
    I take synthroid for my thyroid also, which i have been on them for 5 years, i have the worst side effect from my medicine my hair is thinning something awful i can't wear my hair down i have to keep it in a pony tail because you can see right through to my scalp if anyone is suffering from the same problem and know a remedy for it let me know. I also gained weight from my thyroid from 160 to 235 pounds with me eating better i have got down and i also don't salt medicate if you know what i mean,
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid 5 years ago, 9 months after my third baby was born. It seems to be a trend in the female side of the family :- - not good since I have 3 daughters. When I first started on meds I dropped weight in a hurry but didn't feel so well on synthetic stuff even though my bloods were good. My doc switched me to something called whole thyroid (I'm in New Zealand) which is a T3/T4 mixture. It was a battle getting levels under control - now they have been stable for a couple of years... as has my weight - so now is the time to try to lose some! I started 1st Sept and lost 8lb but seem to be stagnant now :-(... .hopefully more exercise will help. I'm just glad that I actually feel good and feel a bit like exercising ...nothing like that awful tiredness, lethargy and fuzzy brain that comes with high TSH! I'll watch this thread to see how others are faring with thyroid issues :-) I also sometimes have issues with hair loss... which seems to me to be a sign that my levels are not quite right.
  • aimeelouwhite
    Options
    I am on the verge of going to the doctor to see if I have a thyroid problem because it's hard for me too lose weight. People are saying that if I had it I would know (pain)..we'll see
    I didn't have pain...just extreme tiredness, weight gain, lethargy, fuzzy brain. Didn't matter how long I slept, I was always tired and couldn't concentrate. Simple blood test ... can't hurt to check next time you are at the doc. good luck!
  • BethAnn93
    Options
    I have no thyroid.
    And I don't have a problem losing weight at all.
    It depends on how your medication is working for you.
    If you feel you have a problem, you should go see your doctor to make sure your dose is right for you.
  • Lexanna_Cdn
    Lexanna_Cdn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Amy girl, it wouldn't surprise me in the least! with the amount of gym time you put in, it should be coming off a whole lot easier....definitely get it checked hon, it can be pretty freaking hard to even think straight if you have a problem....call the doc! I'll fill you in on symptoms etc.
  • amygee05nb
    Options
    Amy girl, it wouldn't surprise me in the least! with the amount of gym time you put in, it should be coming off a whole lot easier....definitely get it checked hon, it can be pretty freaking hard to even think straight if you have a problem....call the doc! I'll fill you in on symptoms etc.

Yeh, I am thinking next week for sure. I lost weight like..40lbs in 3 months 2 years ago so I just dont understand
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    Yes, I have hypothyroidism since 2004 and taking synthroid and my TSH levels are normal I go for a checkup yearly.

It is tough to lose weight and its taken me two months to lose 6 pounds and I do yoyo a little gaining and losing the same 2lbs but it eventually falls off.

I understand that with a thyroid condition it takes longer to lose weight but you have to be patient this is the first time I've lost any weight since I was diagnosed so I'm happy and want to keep up with MFP. Good luck
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    i have the worst side effect from my medicine my hair is thinning something awful i can't wear my hair down i have to keep it in a pony tail because you can see right through to my scalp if anyone is suffering from the same problem and know a remedy for it let me know.

My hair was falling out in clumps too but would you believe it I donated 10 inches to locks of love just a couple of weeks ago.

I was tying it up in a pony tail for the longest time over a year but now I've cut it shoulder length and found that if you take your medicine first thing in the morning before you eat anything onan empty stomach (around the same time everyday) always wait at least 20mins after taking meds to eat anything. I've found my hair does not fall out anymore and stay with the same dosage/brand. True about not taking any vitamins at the same time there is an interaction with iron pills especially. The meds need to be taken on an empty stomach so it can easily be absorbed into the blood stream quickly. Hope this helps.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    With the lapband, I lost more than 50 pounds before my chronic fatigue doctor discovered my low thyroid. I just started taking the medication a few days ago. Maybe I can lose at a faster rate now? That would be a bonus!
  • aimeelouwhite
    Options
    I agree - It does make a difference if you take meds in the morning first thing then wait 20 mins before eating or drinking anything other than water... never take any other meds with it if you can help it. I take my vitamins with my lunch if taking any :-) I have my thyroid meds when my alarm goes off. I spend 10 mins listening to the news then shower and organise the kids before breakfast :-) so easily 20 mins :-)