Mexican Food Addict need help!

Options
Hello beautiful people,

I am a college student who LOVES eating things like chips and salsa, Taco Bell, Chipolte you name it. Now that I am more aware of my calorie intake I feel like I have to give up on my favorite Mexican late night food goodies =( Is there any way to eat what I like and still be healthy?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated =)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Skip the beans, cheese and sour cream. Other then that it's great.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    taco bell has their fresco menu. Chipoltle isn't that bad. It's a little high in sodium, though. Limit the amount of chips you have (I love them too).
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I go along with what's already been said, and eat corn tortillas instead of flour. I'm a big fan of Rubio's and can always find something yummy there! Homemade chicken enchiladas with green sauce and laughing cow cheese = yum!!

Good luck to you!
    7534584 Posts: 38
    Options
    Taco Bell Fresco chicken soft tacos are 150 cal. I eat 2 sometimes 3 when we get Taco Bell. I like em.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Bump!!! I adore Mexican food! I don't eat fast-food or anything like Chipotle though. I eat from local Mexican food restaurants & everything is hand-made, but still! I could eat it everyday! Every time we eat out my hubby asks me what I want & I say Mexican food! Then he is all "Ugh, not again!" LOL
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind cooking it yourself, skinnytaste.com has a lot of Hispanic type foods that are really good/ low cal. She even has some of Chipotle's recipes on there that are made low cal. My favorite is the fiesta cilantro rice! YUM!!
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    lean cuisine has a couple of really good mexican dinners... that's what i use to satisfy my cravings. :-)
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    taco bell has their fresco menu. Chipoltle isn't that bad. It's a little high in sodium, though. Limit the amount of chips you have (I love them too).
    Taco bell fresco menu is good. i eat at Moe's which is like chipotle and switch out the flour tortilla for whole wheat,no cheese,sour cream,guac..also if u get a taco salad get it w/out the fried shell and only use the salsa as dressing not the queso!!
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I loooove Mexican food too! Tacos are my weakness, I'm actually making carnitas tonight. If you order tacos out, they may be wrapped in 2 tortillas. You can take one off to shave off calories. Stick with cilantro and onions for a topping, low cal and authentic! Salsa is healthy and low cal but the chips aren't so make sure you keep track of how many you are having. Sadly, I've had to cut down on rice and beans so I don't usually order them anymore. You can get canned refried beans that are vegetarian and 99% fat free. I think they are only about 90 calories for 1/2 cup? Not bad if you are craving refried beans.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I can't help myself when I step into a Chipotle! What helps me is cooking my own mexican food, because then I have more control over what I am eating and putting into my body!
  • sonnyjay
    Options
    Wow!

All these ideas sound great! Thanks everyone for your support!
  • Mloleary
    Options
    Oh, there's a lot you can do to modify recipies. One of my favorites is mexican black bean and corn salad, I buy it pre made at the deli and add chopped avocado, serve with chicken breast and YUM. Target also sells a premade black bean and quinoa salad thats spicy and great with fish or chicken. You can marinade breasts in a ziplock with lime, cumin, cilantro, olive oil, onions, garlic, then come home and throw it on the grill, or oven, or even toaster oven!
  • dunkolicious
    Options
    salsa is low in fat so find a substitute for chips and that might do the trick! OR just eat mexican food sparingly and not often. dont completely stop eating it because you will then eventually binge and just eat it all. ive been there.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Hello beautiful people,

I am a college student who LOVES eating things like chips and salsa, Taco Bell, Chipolte you name it. Now that I am more aware of my calorie intake I feel like I have to give up on my favorite Mexican late night food goodies =( Is there any way to eat what I like and still be healthy?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated =)

Totally..I still eat what I love..I just incorporate it in my net calories...no need to give it up..that's what this is all about..making the right choices..having a life..not being miserable! Just exercise..eat more veggies, some fruit..and have a great mix of all...

There are going to mixed results on this question..but seriously if you want to live a happy life, ya need to be able to adjust a few things and then you'll do fine!!

Add me if you like..you can see for yourself my food diary..I eat what I like..but I know I need to exercise in order to eat what I truly love that day..:wink:
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I substitute Sesmark brown rice thins for tortilla chips. They are crunchy and low in sodium. 120 cals in 17

I buy Organic Valley low fat sour cream. Only 30 calories in 2 TBSP.
  • sfinsterys
    sfinsterys Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Get the Weight Watchers recipe for Taco Soup. Great southwestern taste, lots of fiber, hardly any fat.
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Check out these recipes on my food blog

I LOVE MEXICAN but there is always a healthier way to cook it

http://www.breadandsniffit.com/2011/08/something-easy-beef-fajitas.html

http://www.breadandsniffit.com/2010/08/nacho-salad-yes-you-can.html
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chipotle, so I usually have it once every week or so with my friends, its not super bad, especially if you get it without cream, look up different combinations on a nutritional calculator to see what suits you best :)
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hi:flowerforyou:

Maybe ask for a crockpot for Christmas. Today, I have chicken breasts with a jar of salsa verde in the crockpot. :smile:

There are lots of Mexican crockpot recipes online!!
  • exploremore2011
    Options
    I love it too ;) I make tilapia tacos. light oil in pan corn tortillas heat them up then put one piece of tilapia seasoned with cumin in the pan cook it good then put it in the shell with shredded cabbage tomato and avocado. My kids even love this, my daughter adds sour cream. It's my fav ;) I use a lot of cumin in my cooking for light mexican flavor ;)