New to ALL of this :-)

Options
Good evening Everyone,

I have not been on the online version of myfitnesspal so Im super excited and nervous. Im just starting to work out again to lose about 20lbs, but to be honest I have no real idea where to start. I want to start running, and deep deep down inside Im not a runner, LOL but I know I need to do this. I love walking and do it on a daily but I want to add something new to the program. I would love any help or ideas and maybe even a running buddy. :-)

Replies

• rachielyon
    Options
    If you don't love running then I would suggest finding something you DO love because your success rate will probably be much higher. However, running does release an amazing natural high that I think can't be matched. So if you have your heart set on it then GO FOR IT GIRL!!! You can do it :o) There is a really cool program if you have a smart phone called nike run. There's also a program called Couch to 5k which teaches you how to get into running so that you won't overwhelm yourself or your body. Good luck!
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just start! You can google all sorts of "couch to run" programs online that will help you build up your endurance. I didn't think I could be a runner either but I bet if you give it a shot, you'll surprise yourself :)

Take a look around your town for different classes you might want to join and there are loads of awesome exercise dvds out there (Jillian Michaels and Biggest Losers are my faves). It doesn't have to be complicated - just find ways to move that you enjoy and go from there :)
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    You can still lose weight with walking. Add weights to it, up hill, down hill, etc. About 5 years ago, I lost 60 lbs with walking and doing weights (didn't do any running). Find something you like to do, that way you stick with it.
    There are a TON of workout DVD's you can try. If you have Comcast, they have a bunch On Demand that you can try for free.
    I was doing a workout DVD to start my workout, then finished it off with a nice 30 min fast walk.

Good luck.
  • cathy6566
    cathy6566 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @ rachielyon, thank you for the info you gave on running.... :) I would love to run, and have tried many of times, and well lets just say it's not good. I'm going to try The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan.... It looks like I can do that and someday be able to finally run.
    Thanks again so much. :)