I can't eat all my calories!!

Options
How can I fit in all my calories?? The last two days, I've been short 600 and I'm stuffing my face! I come to the end of the day and I discover that I'm short. I can't eat 600 calories in between now and the time I go to bed (in about 3 hours). Oh, sure, I could eat 2 cookies and meet my goal but they would be empty calories and I'm going good and strong without the sugar. I will go into starvation mode if I'm not careful.

I know I'm not the only person this has happened to and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've read the posts about how important it is to eat all your calories MFP sets for you so, all I can say is...

HELP!

Thanks!

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    How can I fit in all my calories?? The last two days, I've been short 600 and I'm stuffing my face! I come to the end of the day and I discover that I'm short. I can't eat 600 calories in between now and the time I go to bed (in about 3 hours). Oh, sure, I could eat 2 cookies and meet my goal but they would be empty calories and I'm going good and strong without the sugar. I will go into starvation mode if I'm not careful.

I know I'm not the only person this has happened to and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've read the posts about how important it is to eat all your calories MFP sets for you so, all I can say is...

HELP!

Thanks!

almonds, peanut butter, etc
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks good to me. You're burning a lot and if you're one of the ones that eat back your exercise calories, you may want to add meat or nuts, trail mix, etc. Healthy, high calorie foods. You're not below 1200 so I wouldn't become frantic about it.
  • TheTonyPony
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I'm running happily on 800-1000 calories but I know I need to pick it up to 1,200.

I made it today, by adding in an extra salad and more protein than I usually would have. Honestly? I'm not hungry and still losing weight so I'm not going to be too disappointed.
  • KristinC4
    Options
    You don't have to eat all your calories. The goal is to stay at or below your calorie count in order to lose weight. As long as you are eating 1200 calories a day you will be fine. Don't worry if you can't eat more.
  • xinahay123
    Options
    I was just about to say, think healthy fats. Almonds, avacodo,natural peanut butter.
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been having a similar issue and am working to add healthy calories in- in the form of healthy oils and nuts.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Try eating a higher calorie count during lunch and snack time - those seem to be lower. Maybe a 400breakfast 400lunch 400snack and 400dinner would suit you well? that would still put you 200 under goal but a little closer than you are today :)
  • MrsBay2010
    Options
    I have found that having a snack that's worth about 200 calories in between meals helps! It won't hurt if you're under by 300 calories a day either. I know we all want to be careful to not go into starvation mode but definitely try the snack idea it speeds up your metabolism and gets things going! Good luck and let me know if that helps! I just started my journey as well!
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary and this is totally picking...I would probably skip on the soup since it is so filling and full of sodium, that way it may be a little easier to add a couple good fats to up those calories :) feel free to add me as a friend!!
  • bampitt
    bampitt Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone!

Yes, I'm eating at least my 1200 calories but I was trying to eat my exercise calories. I thought that was the whole idea so I wouldn't go into starvation mode.

My food diary is a little crazy. Most of the time, I eat dinner leftovers for lunch so to save time, I just use the quick tools and "copy yesterday." So, what I had for dinner one day is my lunch the next but, it still shows up in the dinner section of my diary. This makes my meals a little skewed but at the end of the day, I'm looking at my totals. I know what I've eaten in my head and I add each meal as I go throughout the day so I know I'm not overeating at any one meal. My individual meals typically stay lower than 375 calories each. Snacks are usually around 250 calories each. Occasionally, I go over this but try to stay there.

Tracikearns - I don't typically eat canned soup but I had some in my pantry that I had to get rid of. I'm trying to clean out the cabinets and make room for better stuff. I prefer homemade soups and stews with my crock pot. heh.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Drink a Naked boosted smoothie, you can get them in any grocery store in the produce section. And it is all natural and gives you daily servings of fruits and vegetables. Green Machine is the best flavor.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods for breakfast and lunch. That's when you should be eating a bulk of your calories anyways.... nuts are great - healthy fat, calorie dense.... add in stuff high in protein -- greek yogurt, nuts (again), add in some more veggies too - broccoli & cauliflower are great - high in fiber too... more hummus (go for the two tbsp as opposed to 1). :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Drink a Naked boosted smoothie, you can get them in any grocery store in the produce section. And it is all natural and gives you daily servings of fruits and vegetables. Green Machine is the best flavor.

GREEN MACHINE IS THE BEST!! 140 CALORIES PER SERVING - GREAT IDEA!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat all your calories. The goal is to stay at or below your calorie count in order to lose weight. As long as you are eating 1200 calories a day you will be fine. Don't worry if you can't eat more.

Really? So if I burn another 2200 calories on my bike and eat 1200 a day I'll be fine?