Help with emotional eating!

Options
I am a HUGE emotional eater. I'm currently working on drinking water whenever I feel hungry or like I need to eat, it seems to be working a little, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks that have worked for some of you. A lot of times I'll get stressed and crave anything. If I give in, I'll eat until I puke. This luckily hasn't happened in months, but I still feel the urges. So besides drinking water and trying to just fight it, is there anything that has worked for you guys and gals?

Replies

• SaintOnEarth
    Options
    Along with drinking water, I like to chew gum or sunflower seeds. You can make a bag of a fixed amount for the day (like 200 calories).. and throughout the day when you are bored just eat them, because they do take some time to eat with the whole shell and seed separation LOL. I hope this helps some.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    For three weeks I cut all trigger foods and refined sugars from my diet and then slowly added them back.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Great idea!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    For the munchies, how about a healthy /chewy option. Bite the hell out of the stress w/ carrot or celery sticks (no dip!)

Otherwise, move slooowly from the kitchen :) and get some exercise to clear the emotion, even a slow walk around the block can help me, along with deep breathing. Or pop in a DVD of yoga, or Wii Fit if you have it. Anything to distract yourself from wanting to eat.
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I think you have to address the emotions first. No matter how many tricks you got, the source of the problem is still there.

PM me if you'd like to chat about it... But I can assure you that nothing will work until you have figured out exactly why you need to eat like you do.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted a similar topic today and I'm gonna tell you what I told her. I try to get out my pen/paper and write. Let out whatever I'm feeling when im down or if im pissed off at something or someone. Plus I will just run my mouth when I'm upset so it helps I can take a second and think about the situation. Instead of grabbing my favorite cookies and stuffing myself to feel satisfied grab a pen!
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If its something you can take time to cool off with then Turn up the music & clean refold your draws, organize your closets, tell yourself youre allowed a snack when you're done. By the time youre done you wont want it.
    Take a bath
    Work out
    Dance
    Go for a walk get some fresh air.,
    Have some hot water with a slice of lemon
    Give yourslef a facial
    Whiten your teeth
    Top your nails with a clear coat
    Look at a magazine
    Try on clothes
    Trust me Distract yourself.
    Maybe Pick up a hobby
    Call a friend that you lost touch with
    If it is something that needs attention then I suggest talking to someone, writing a letter to that person, or taking small steps to help yourself=) Feel free to PM me=)
  • larat71
    larat71 Posts: 60
    Options
    Like you, I am a VERY big emotional eater. When I'm sad, I used to finish off a tub of Rocky Road in no time. I fought the urges with singing! Now, when I feel like I want to eat something due to sadness or anger or any other trigger emotion, I turn on the radio and sing my heart out! It's good for the spirit and the lings:) Other than that, I use my dog as emotional support...a few minutes of petting/cuddling with her usually does the trick.
  • magicalamanda
    magicalamanda Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last post. Any person with a serious weight problem and eating problems usually has some sort of emotional issue that goes along with that. If you have insurance I would seek counseling as well if it's a HUGE problem for you. There's a reason why you are an emotional eater and you need to figure out "why" before you can start to change the cycle! It's not easy TRUST me! I have an addiction to food ! So for me it's not because I'm hungry it's because I love the taste of food! I would eat regardless of how hungry I am just because I love it. BUT with any addiction I'm trying really hard to look at food as fuel, and not as something that I should be taking sooooooo much pleasure in eating!!!

Hope that helps!
  • hrobinson416
    hrobinson416 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon this site...thought I would share...

http://www.ivillage.com/9-ways-break-cycle-comfort-eating/4-b-384673?ivNPA=1&sky=stu|ths|prqdep|eating|