Scared To Increase My calorie Intake

Options
Weight 119.0
Height 5'2
Goal weight 110.0
Calorie Intake 1,200

The reason why I want to increase my calorie intake is because I feel as if I'm not eating enough. For example, for breakfast I would only eat one thing like egg whites...nothing else..or for lunch a sand which nothing else..and dinner..a t.v. dinner (smart one,fit active) nothing else. I would like to have a full coarse meal. I'm scared to do it because I don't want to gain weight. I feel as if I Start eating that much I will start feeling...Yuckky idk...but would I gain weight by increasing my calorie intake? I'm also trying not to go over my carbs because I noticed that when I went over my carbs that when the weight started coming off slowy..I workout 6-7 days for 30-60 mintues

Replies

• colbiegirl
    Options
    Bump - I'm trying to up my calories from a "starvation mode" amount to prevent any health scares.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Increase it slowly. Mentally, that should be easier to do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Weight 119.0
    Height 5'2
    Goal weight 110.0
    Calorie Intake 1,200

The reason why I want to increase my calorie intake is because I feel as if I'm not eating enough. For example, for breakfast I would only eat one thing like egg whites...nothing else..or for lunch a sand which nothing else..and dinner..a t.v. dinner (smart one,fit active) nothing else. I would like to have a full coarse meal. I'm scared to do it because I don't want to gain weight. I feel as if I Start eating that much I will start feeling...Yuckky idk...but would I gain weight by increasing my calorie intake? I'm also trying not to go over my carbs because I noticed that when I went over my carbs that when the weight started coming off slowy..I workout 6-7 days for 30-60 mintues
    Do it for a week. You'll probably surprise yourself.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I agree with increasing your intake slowly. Are you eating your exercise calories right now? If not, try it and I think you will lose more weight. Good luck!!
  • melissabee31
    Options
    Seriously, if you're hungry... eat! Your diet should allow some wiggle room. If you find you're starving at the end of the day, don't be miserable forever.

What I do is have good days and what I like to call "off days." Off days, I usually stick to my normal dietary needs for two meals. Then for a third meal (or a dessert I want) I let myself have it. We can't all stick to 1200 calories a day forever and ever.

It's not about perfection. It's about the process.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree with increasing your intake slowly. Are you eating your exercise calories right now? If not, try it and I think you will lose more weight. Good luck!!
    I agree with this!
  • JonClaw
    JonClaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started at 1,350 a day. After losing 5 pounds, brought it up to 1,810. After a one week gain, my metabolism kicked in and I dropped another 6 pounds in a few weeks.

Sometimes increasing calorie intake can help you lose weight, at least in my case.

YMMV.
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have actually been through this same thing recently! After really worrying about it for several weeks I decided to change my goals to lose .5 lb a week, which gave me over 1400 calories. I found that I did not eat much more than I did before, but I could go over 1200 and not be upset, you know, I still had a negative on my calories! Lol! I decided to back it down to 1300, that way I can go over 1200 wo feeling guilty, but still show a negative. I am doing very well and still loosing at a very good rate. I am not starving at night, and I don't feel as anxious when it is time to eat. I agree with a comment above, maybe you could try it out for a week and see how it works out for you. The worst thing you can do is not eat enough, because your body will break down, and when you give up on the strict diet you will gain a ton of weight back really quickly bc you are in a "storage mode". Don't hurt yourself, try to think clear headed, I know its hard with the pressures there is on a girls weight, but just try to be good to yourself! :)
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I was scared too!! But I upped to 1250 for 2 weeks then upped to 1350....and I finally broke my plateau only after I upped them....your body needs fuel and when you feed it your metabolism will increase!!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Weight 119.0
    Height 5'2
    Goal weight 110.0
    Calorie Intake 1,200

Oh wow. i'm 5'2" and 120 and my goal is 110 as well (ideally 105 but don't think that will happen) anyway i ahve the same conflict.
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of eating a variety of things with your meals. I generally eat meals with at least 3 dishes (protein, carb, and veggie), it is all about moderation. I too am only consuming 1,200 calories. For breakfast I usually only have about 200 calories of a protein, fat, and/or carb. I always stick to 3 oz. of protein, 1/4 cup of carbs, and 1/2 cup of veggie for my lunches and dinners, which usually total 250-300 calories, and then my snacks are usually 4-5 - 50-150 calorie snacks (oranges, pretzels, etc...). You can friend me and take a look at my food diary for ideas if want. Hope this helps!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Don't be afraid of eating a variety of things with your meals. I generally eat meals with at least 3 dishes (protein, carb, and veggie), it is all about moderation. I too am only consuming 1,200 calories. For breakfast I usually only have about 200 calories of a protein, fat, and/or carb. I always stick to 3 oz. of protein, 1/4 cup of carbs, and 1/2 cup of veggie for my lunches and dinners, which usually total 250-300 calories, and then my snacks are usually 4-5 - 50-150 calorie snacks (oranges, pretzels, etc...). You can friend me and take a look at my food diary for ideas if want. Hope this helps!

So are you not eating your excercise calories then? Like today I ended at 1257 and earned 363 in excercise but didn't eat those.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump! I am in the same boat.
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    my calorie goal is also 1200 and my meals are full meals not just an egg white.... I also eat about half of my exercise calories... try to find what makes you full and incorporate that into every meal. For instance I know i get full when i eat protein and fat, on the other hand when i eat carbs i am hungry 30 minutes later. so i eat meals and snacks that have a large amount of protein and healthy fats.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It was pretty hard for me to adjust, too. I was at 1200 for quite a while and I bumped it up to about 1450 a few months ago. It was hard at first to break even 1300 but now I am pretty much steadily eating 1450 during the week and I don't log at all on the weekends! I am maintaining my goal weight and I haven't gained any back. I started out between 145-150lbs and I am now a pretty solid 128 (give or a take a couple) and I am 5'7". I suggest starting slowly, let your body and mind adjust and then find where your body is happiest. I hope this helps!
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options

So are you not eating your excercise calories then? Like today I ended at 1257 and earned 363 in excercise but didn't eat those.

That is generally the pattern I use. I will eat close to my goal (either a little under or over) before any exercise "credit". It seems to be working :)
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You could also zig-zag instead of just bumping up your calories across the board. Try adding an extra 100-200 cal/day, but only 2-3 days per week - like on Tues, Fri, and Sun only, or on Thurs and Sat only - and see how you feel/what happens to your weight after 2-3 weeks of this. If you start losing again, it's pretty likely that you needed those extra calories to get out of starvation mode.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? If not, start there and see what happens. I know everyone is different but I upped my calories quite a bit this week and zig-zagged them as well. Yesterday was my super high calorie day (1991!) and I was a little freaked out but I had a pretty big loss this morning to show for it.
  • YukiSakurada
    YukiSakurada Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for ur answer! :)