Why oh why?

I'm having some issues. I am working out steadily now (first time in a long time, but finally on a med regimen that helps me function like a real human being), but having difficulty with the appetite/type of food thing. It is hard when running around for 12 hours and am flagging to say no the the cookies someone brought into work that have been *staring* at me all shift; or after a full day of refereeing two little boys not order out instead of cooking.
I had an easier time of it first go around because I used a diet aid that killed my appetite. When I started taking it again to lose the poundage again (thanks a lot, depression, for the fat @$$), there was an interaction between the antidepressants and the diet aid, so that option is out. Usually, small little things keep the edge off. However, when you're drained, and I mean completely dragging, no spark left, lackluster shade of your former self, how do YOU say no? Why oh why can't I? :(

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    My sister has this problem; she's an ER nurse, and people leave bags of chips out for everyone to share. She and I both, like our dad, are grazers. We'll eat a little here, a little there, and before you know it, LOTS of calories have passed our lips! I've found that if I keep some peanuts or almonds handy, if I get a true craving, I can eat them and it helps. Special K has Cracker Chips that are really good, too. Try to find a healthy snack that you like and keep it handy so that you can eat it when you get the cookie craving (and boy, do I get that one...my favorite grazing snack is Oreos!). I'm just having to find alternatives and remind myself (constantly!) why I'm doing this.

As for the cooking, try using a crock pot...easy to do and they make these great crockpot liners so the cleanup is easy. I think there's a thread in the recipe forum that has some crockpot recipes.

Good luck...hang in there! You can do it!
  • smileyk003
    smileyk003 Posts: 33 Member
    Hi MV,

Atleast you know your weakspot, now you are just stuck trying to work around it!

I go through phases of being motivated enoguh to decline most things, to being unable to say no - when I find I am slipping into "Yes" mode to everything I mkae myself log it in my tracker while I am/right after I have eaten it - Seeing my calories disappear makes me think hard about going for seconds

Im also strapped for time and energy to prepare meals so to combat that my favourite tricks are:

*Use Sunday afternoon to cook up things to portion out and freeze. Usually its Spag Bol, Lasagne and Curries. These can be a bit calorie heavy but my second job is as a dance teacher so I use them as a great energy kick and just enjoy small serves!

*meal replacement shakes - a great emergency thing to keep on hand for odd occassions ( I personally found them not suited to me for regular consumption but really handy on the odd occassion when I am running around and no time to get anything else)

*Keping a couple of packets of stirfry chicken/pork strips, microwave rice, stirfry sauce and frozen vegies on hand - It only takes 5 minutes to throw together a stirfry from prepackaged/cut stuff.... We all know that fresh/made from scratch stuff is preferable but this sure beats Pizza when I have to log it in my food tracker!!

Hope this helps, I am goign to be popping back to check out everyone elses suggestions!!

Smileyk
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    first off, diet aids/appetite suppressors, etc do not work for you in the long run; everyone ive ever met or talked to about them has gained the weight back, so count it as a blessing that u cant use them.

i could eat all day long; im always hungry; which is why i put on an extra 150lbs over what i should weigh... its just a matter of choosing the right snacks; instead of the cookie for 150calories; what could u have instead? If you look at everything like that, then you'll be set. Will that cookie really cure your hunger? If the answer to that is no, then its easy to say no. for 150calories you could have a chicken breast covered in mozzarella with a steamed favorite vegetable, or a huge salad with nuts and cheese and tons of veggies for under 150calories...u could have many many things that are equivlant to a full meal for the one cookie.

There is nothing wrong with ordering out, its how you order. I eat out at least a couple times a week... it may not be perfect for you, but if u order well then its fine. Instead of a double quarter pounder with cheese and all the toppings at mcdonalds, you could get a grilled chicken salad or even a grilled chicken sandwich plain with only eating half the bun and a side salad. my favorite pizza place has salad bar and things on their menu like chicken breast with veggies and things i can actually eat--its only you who decides what u order--so if u skip the pizza and go for other options, then its ok.

as far as snacking...before work i eat breakfast and i bring with me 4snacks and a lunch. i generally only eat 2 or 3 of the snacks but i bring the 4th just in case. Something like carrots, apple slices, almonds, and a dannon light/fit yogurt; with a sandwich or salad for lunch. I eat 2 hours apart. So if I had breakfast at 8, i have the first snack at 10. lunch at 12, afternoon snack at 2, maybe another snack at 4 (im usually starving all night long), and dinner around 5 or 6 when i get home and another snack around 7 or 8 (i dont eat within 3hours of bed). This way im eating all day long, im not overeating at meals, and i dont give into temptations around me.

If your a busy person, i would suggest makign things ahead of time. When you make dinner on your day off, you can make huge batches of things and freeze extra servings in tupperware containers in the freezer and use those individual servings either for dinner or lunch like a tv dinner. Maybe use a crock pot for dinners more often---just throw things in in the morning and u have dinner when u get home.
  • AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    You guys are awesome, thank you :)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    I have a huge problem with grazing on my kid's leftovers after I've eaten. As they are only 4 and 2, they get a bit more slack in the healthy-veggies-brown-rice-grilled-chicken department, so typically they end up with yummier food. I've taken to popping in piece of gum while I clean up. My mouth is busy and I don't graze.