Water water water

Options
I hate the flavor of water, and I don't really care about adding a lemon slice.

What can I do to make water not taste mind numbingly boring?

Replies

• scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it for the taste - I drink it for the benefit it provides. For taste, I drink other things.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Try some crystal light..... I have to do that a couple of times a week because I get tired of tasting nothing.
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same thing (umm .. nothing) then I got used to it, I drink 10-12 cups of water a day and I love it, my body begs for it. You'll get used to it. and remember the water in juice and non-caffeinated drink counts as water
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it for the taste - I drink it for the benefit it provides. For taste, I drink other things.

And this guy is the smartest guy in the world.
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    http://bit.ly/mPhRmq

Their new True Grapefruit product is great (and no sugar or artificial sweetener.
  • gumonyershoe
    Options
    Have you thought about crystal light or other flavor type packets? They do usually have like 5 or 10 calories a packet, but it definitely has made water more bearable for me at work. I even found a Propel packet that has zero calories yet still has good taste.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

And this guy is the smartest guy in the world.

This. Just drink it. Have other things for taste. I don't expect fireworks to go off after a glass but it takes about 5 seconds to get a glass down and I move on :)
  • ABIGgirl
    Options
    I've heard (and I don't really know if it's true) that if you ingest far too much sugar during the day that water will taste bitter and nasty to you. I find that in some respects when I weened myself off of sugary drinks and started tracking my daily sugar my appetite for water increased.....something to think about?
  • ajm07
    ajm07 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I hate water. Or I did. Just a few years ago I didn't drink ANY. My goodness.

I forced myself to drink it. Sometimes cold water is nicer. Sometimes it SEEMS nicer to drink from a big bottle. In any event, I decided to drink more, so I fill a 1 litre bottle first thing, and keep sipping it til it's gone. After lunch I do the same thing.

Nowadays I enjoy drinking the water, mostly because it's cold and refreshing, and once I'm finished I feel satisfied that I'm being somewhat healthy.

I also often reward myself with a cup of tea, once I'm done, or perhaps don't eat lunch until I've finished it.

Good luck!
  • aguinnmc
    aguinnmc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can get liquid stevia with flavor and add a few drops to your water. There are some really good options now. I love Liquid MiO - the purple one. I carry it with me and squirt a little into my water if I need something with taste. My husband adds lime to his water instead of lemon and loves it. I keep flavor packets with me. I recently stopped using aspartame, but have found a number of flavor packets that work for me. We started using them when drink prices in restaurants went up so high. We could order water and the kids could still be happy with flavor :) Hope this helps.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    its all about hydration, in lame man terms,when you take in a fluid your brain tells tell your kidneys how much water to remove before passing it through to your bladder, the more yellow your wee is the more h20 its had to remove, this is the first sign of dehydration, so if your wee is clear keep doing what you are doing if it is yellow drink more WATER, its not for taste its a essential part of your life
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Exactly!

One idea is to get a multi-vitamin that can be dissolved in water. Often they are flavoured and delicious! Since I am a vegetarian, I take an iron/vitimin C tablet every day, and it's a great way to get a big huge glass of water in and some nutrients. Just be sure to check the label, some of them are very sugar-heavy!
  • DownSheGoes
    Options
    I also hate the taste of water, so I add a few drops from a slice of lemon to all my glasses/bottles :)
  • ThinspiredButterfly
    ThinspiredButterfly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    crystal light.only 5 calories a pouch. it tastes AMAZING!!!!!
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Its not that it tastes bitter, it's just that I'm bored with it. I know that makes no sense.

Oh yes, my problem with crystal light is that I'm allergic to nutrasweet and can't stand the taste of splenda, that stuff is nasty.

I am a seriously picky person sometimes.
  • illbeyourwendy
    illbeyourwendy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure this is good for you, but I enjoy putting a small drop of food coloring in my water. And lots of ice. I know it sounds silly, but it makes me feel like I'm getting a treat.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I never drink neat water, no need to. I get my required amount of fluid from my tea/coffee/soda/juice/fruit/veg etc.

Remember it doesn't have be to pure water. Almost every drink contributes to your daily fluid intake, and the amount of water in fruit and veg is amazing!

You may be surprised to find out many foods are high in water content. Below I have provided an abbreviated chart that lists the water content of some popular foods (Hale, 2007; Hale, 2010). The water percentage of each food is listed after its name.

Water Content of Foods

Apples: 85
    Apricots: 85
    Bean sprouts: 92
    Chicken, boiled: 71
    Cucumbers, raw: 96
    Eggplant, raw: 92
    Grapes: 82
    Lettuce, head: 96
    Oranges: 86
    Peaches, raw: 90
    Peppers, green: 94
    Potatoes, raw: 85
    Strawberries, raw: 90
    Turkey, roasted: 62
    Watermelon: 93
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I hate the flavor of water, and I don't really care about adding a lemon slice.

What can I do to make water not taste mind numbingly boring?

if you like strawberries or raspberries...throw a couple of those in your water, I especially love the strawberries. I have also heard that cucumbers are nice.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hm, being allergic and not liking sweeteners makes it tough - how about products derived from stevia? I sometimes flavor my water with some SoBe lifewater (macintosh aple cherry is the BEST!) - that's sweetened with PureVia.

How about adding other fruit juices besides lemon? A little cranberry or grape would probably be pretty good!

We always have koolaid in the fridge so I'll sometime add a splash of that to my water. I'm not a big fan of plain water either...
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    You get used to it eventually. I used to have a hard time forcing myself to drink just 8 ounces of water in a whole day, but now I'm up to 72-80 ounces per day, and have stopped being a diet Coke addict! Just keep the water bottle next to you all day and keep sipping!:drinker: